Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    FYI, I have seen these vent/windshield auto mounts in my local target for about $15. The Target branded models are branded for "universal" cell phone use.

An eBay search also reveals you can get one for less then $10 incl S&H, using the ipod mount as a search of course...

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    probably long dead thread but did anyone mention panavise? i like them better than proclips as they are metal. mine is a perfect fir in my 2000 s2000.

http://www.panavise.com/nf/comm/inda...arq=Volkswagen
    Quote Originally Posted by spider2k
    probably long dead thread but did anyone mention panavise? i like them better than proclips as they are metal. mine is a perfect fir in my 2000 s2000.

http://www.panavise.com/nf/comm/inda...arq=Volkswagen
    hmm, looks interesting -- i am one of the few who isn't very happy with ProClips, which isn't very stable mounted on the passenger-side vent on my old Honda. the website is a little wholesale-looking, no prices lister. i submitted for a catalog -- mind if I ask how much you paid?
    got mine on ebay for 25 but i have friends who have bought them direct for a little more. i like the metal better and they fit very well.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "hmm, looks interesting -- i am one of the few who isn't very happy with ProClips, which isn't very stable mounted on the passenger-side vent on my old Honda. the website is a little wholesale-looking, no prices lister. i submitted for a catalog -- mind if I ask how much you paid? "

I agree about proclips. its not very stable at all. it doesn't take much of a bump in the road to cause the mount to jar loose.

although its not bad, its not great. not what I was expecting after all the hype I've read about it. proclips needs to improve their design a bit, in my opinion, to fix this issue.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  6. mfp
    it seems like everyone's making this way too complicated! i bought my car mount on ebay for $2.99 plus $6.99 shipping - and it works great! they called it a treo 650 car windshield pda holder. it's actually a generic mount but the fit is nice and tight and the "neck" is long enough to position the treo very conveniently. it uses a suction cup that "locks" closed with a latch. i have my treo in a silicon case, which i'm sure helps hold it securely. it's a really good choice for those of you who do not want a permanent installation.

i also use voice dialer and the treo 650 blue tooth headset (with a jabra ear gel). other than having to push the voice dialer button (i use the side key) for an outgoing call and touch the treo or headset button to accept an incoming call, i have totally hands free use in the car.

hope this helps some of you... pictures (i hope!) and a product link attached!

Link to Treo 650 Car Mount
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mfp
    it seems like everyone's making this way too complicated! i bought my car mount on ebay for $2.99 plus $6.99 shipping - and it works great! they called it a treo 650 car windshield pda holder. it's actually a generic mount but the fit is nice and tight and the "neck" is long enough to position the treo very conveniently.

Link to Treo 650 Car Mount
    I bought the same item from a company online. Cost $8 with $7 shipping. My biggest concern is the relatively short arm. Most cars don't have a shiny dash panel, like your Jag, so it would have to be mounted to the windshield. That is going to place it further away and possibly in the sunlight glare. I'll give an evaluation when I get home from vacation (ordered mine too late to take along with....but boy I could have used it with TomTom. I even stopped by Target and half a dozen other local stores looking for the same thing. Not one of them carry this type of thing anymore.)

http://www.jdhines.com/product/0164PDGN
    Last edited by Disaster; 09/02/2005 at 08:14 AM.
  8. mfp
    valid point about the dash. it is a longer neck then some of them but i agree that i might not be as happy with it on the windshield. i'll give it a try to let those of you without hard surface dashboards, know how it works from the corner of the windshield... i'll report back later!
    Just got back from vacation and the mount was waiting for me. Initial impression is that it is quite solid...especially for the price. In my F150 pickup the arm is about long enough to bring the Treo back to even with the mirror....not bad but might still pick up more glare than I'd like. It certainly holds tight.

One other comment. If you like to use the speaker phone vs. bluetooth it might concern you that the cradle blocks the speaker. This is pretty similar to all the squeeze-type cradles I've seen. I didn't test it to see how much this interferes with the speaker phone.
  10. mfp
    i tried mine on the windshield. it was long enough to come pretty close but i have to admit that i like it better from the dash. i think it's a bit distracting AND annoying on the windshield. this mount is a great option if you have a hard surface dash or console, otherwise, just okay but an excellent value!

as for the speaker, i do strain to hear my voice prompts but it's not really an issue. i use the bluetooth in the car almost exclusively.
    Quote Originally Posted by mfp
    i tried mine on the windshield. it was long enough to come pretty close but i have to admit that i like it better from the dash. i think it's a bit distracting AND annoying on the windshield. this mount is a great option if you have a hard surface dash or console, otherwise, just okay but an excellent value!

as for the speaker, i do strain to hear my voice prompts but it's not really an issue. i use the bluetooth in the car almost exclusively.
    Forgot about TomTom navigation voice prompts. I'll try that next.
    Quote Originally Posted by spider2k
    got mine on ebay for 25 but i have friends who have bought them direct for a little more. i like the metal better and they fit very well.
    hmm, searched the part number, & there it is on eBay. as it happens i need to do some work on the radio, so i don't mind taking the dash apart.

one question: the pix that go with the part numbers show just the bar coming out of the dash, with holes drilled into it. does the actual cradle come with the car kit or do I need to buy that separately (or even maybe use the ProClip one?)
    Last edited by rayfield; 09/03/2005 at 10:09 AM.
    I have the ProClip mount, very happy with their products. They use pre-existing holes in your dash to mount their products.

Very easy installation. I just ordered a new mount from them to fit my new skin case. Here's a pic with my previous mount from them.

http://dianaleroi.com/wp/images/gadgets.jpg

And this was the setup on the way to vacation

http://www.dianaleroi.com/gallery/al...1396.sized.jpg
    Last edited by mtnmunch; 09/03/2005 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added Photo
    Cingular GSM Treo 650, Apple PowerBook G4, iQue 3600, iPod Photo 60GB
    PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Palm M505 > Garmin iQue 3600 > Treo 650

Seek first to understand, then to be Understood
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Just got my Treo 650 and love it. I had a GriffiniSqueez for my iPod and it works perfect for the Treo in my car.
    it took some doing but I finally got a mount I like, so far. was going to go the Panavise route, but two successive eBay dealers dropped the ball (it shouldn't take 3-4 days to tell me the item is out of stock, and then tell me I have to wait at 1-2 weeks for delivery). I happened to call a company called Pro.Fit

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/

who gave me a 20 percent discount, so with 2-day shipping altogether it was $40, only ended up to be eight bucks more than eBay, and they were far more professional.

it took a bit of doing to take out the radio but as it happened I needed to refit the radio harness which had come loose. the position is a wee bit lower than I'd like but it is rock solid and very unobtrusive. not a knock on Panavise, but the Pro.Fit works here.

one thing -- you have to buy the actual cradle for the device. as it happens, the ProClips ball-joint cradle fits perfectly, so while I'm not thrilled having paid 70 for the ProClips at least it wasn't a total wash.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123