Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been using data on a Treo 600 with the National Access Minutes of Use plan since September, 2004. Today, I received a text message saying:

"PLZ CLL VZW TO SLCT DATA PLN FOR PALM TREO PHN"

Once I received this text message, my data connection stopped working. I now receive this error message in Blazer:

"Error: 3000: Data service is unavailable in this area. Please try again later. (0x173E)"

I called Verizon technical support this evening and was told that NA-MOU is not a valid data plan on the Treo 600. My only option to restore data service is to purchase a monthly data plan!!!

I am completely disgusted with Verizon at this point, as a Verizon customer representative at a Verizon store sold me the Treo 600 with NA-MOU in September. I was explained that I could use my voice minutes for data minutes under this plan and would not need to pay an additional fee. Apparently, I was either lied to or given incorrect information.

After having Customer Care deny any possible recourse to fix their mistake, I am canceling Verizon service. Beware all!!!!
    NA-MOU has always been a shady proposition since its inception.

Out of curiosity, did it ever say EN-MOU on yur bills? Your contract? Just curious.

If it doesn't then they haven't taken away anything they contractually committed to provide...
    everything was beautiful and nobody hurt.
    Actually, he's right. I've heard Verizon is taking a stand on this for 2005. They are slowly eliminating every pdaphone from using na-mou... If you sign up for picture mail service you might get around that though...
    I just activated my 600 on X-Mas (from my Roadshow Coupon and VC). When I spoke with a VZW CSR, they recommended that I should choose a data plan, but they didn't protest when I told them I would be using MOU in my NA plan. I have not received the SMS message and my data service is working fine at this time (0630AM EST).

If/when they do kill MOU, I'd suggest a front-page news item, electronic petition and organized call campaign. I've been a VZW customer since 1993, and if they were to kill MOU without offering a competitive data plan ($15/month unlimited Sprint PCS Vision), that would be the last straw for me. If they were bombarded with calls, emails, etc from customers cancelling their service, they might "hear us now".

This letter http://home.earthlink.net/~paul.r/images/vzletter.jpg would seem to suggest that a data plan is optional, but not needed to get all of the features they advertise for the Treo 600 through VZW. I am not a lawyer, but there could be a strong case against them (a class-action lawsuit?) for false advertising of the Treo 600 if they were to require a seperate data plan and end MOA in the optional NA plan. This letter would be good ammunition.

This is very clear:
    Treo 600 page on their own site:

Supported Optional Features

* Picture Messaging
    * Internet Ready
    * TXT Messaging
    * NationalAccess

NationalAccess

NationalAccess is Verizon Wireless' national wireless Internet service, which enables users to access the Internet, email, attachments, and business applications with a laptop at average speeds of 60-80 kbps and bursts up to 144 kbps. You may experience slower data speeds. Choose a Mobile Office Kit for your NationalAccess data-capable phone. Or choose a Type II modem card and increase your mobility when using a PDA or laptop
    More false advertising and/or a breach of contract?

Brian
    Last edited by ballistic; 12/28/2004 at 06:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    When I purchased my Treo 600, upgrading from a Kyo 6035, Verizon axed my MOU feature when I activated the new phone.

Had to go with an old dial-up account to avoid the grotesquely over priced data plans they offer.
    The overpriced data plans (and the 650 of course) are why I switched to Sprint. Now I have unlimited data, plenty of talk time, a 650, and saving $35/mo over Verizon.
    Wow,

That sucks. Nice Cgristmas present, Verizon. The first thing I'd do is to call Verizon and ask how they expect you to use the built-in picture messaging (which is available on most of the "regular" phones that Verizon offers) with data disabled. If you keep trying, you may be able to get a rep to re-enable the feature.

If you're dead set against a Verizon data plan, I'd think you would have a pretty good case for Verizon offering a full refund.

(read the above posted letter that I received. It says "Why is adding a Data Feature Package to your account the best option?") Directly states that it's an option, as does the entire letter, although more indirectly.

They were also offering a $100 rebate for adding the unlimited data plan, so you may be able to get that out of them if you choose to stay with Verizon and add a data plan.

Like 650now, if Verizon ever pulls this crap on me, I'm going to spend a few weeks checking out Sprint, and possibly Cingular. My contract's up, but my wife's isn't. I'd be willing to pay the ETF on her account if we had to switch. I paid full price for my Treo, and could certainly afford the $45/month for data, but am not willing to pay that hugely inflated amount.

It's a shame that Verizon does not offer a competitive (~$15) unlimited data plan. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat, but I'm not going to double my monthly bill for the limited amount of data that I use. It's crap because I can activate my old v60s and tether it to my notebook and browse "regular" webpages that require twice the connection time, I'm okay, but if I do it on a Treo, Verizon may take it away from me. I'm not trying to prevent Verizon from making money, and am willing to pay a reasonable amount for the minimal use I have, but I'm not paying what Verizon wants for their current plans, and if they take EN-MOU away from me, I'll explore other options.

Theta,

How did you set the account up? I've still got Earthlink dial-up and that would probably be fine for the light use I have.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately, I cannot find anywhere on my monthly bill where it says EN-MOU or NA-MOU, so I understand that they are not contractually obligated. My contract states "Data" but does not explain any details on it. The Treo was sold to me with NA-MOU by a Verizon employee, so I didn't look at it as a back-door to data access.

I spoke with Customer Care for over an hour yesterday trying to find any type of solution to this which wouldn't require me to sign up for the ridiculously expensive unlimited data plan. They wouldn't compromise on anything, not even a service credit. I haven't tried the picture messaging argument, and really don't want to try to open a back-door that may be closed in the future.

I'm going into the Verizon store that sold me the Treo today to cancel service. It will be interesting to hear their defense on this issue. The only good news is that they have agreed to wave the early contract termination fee and refund the cost of the Treo. Still, I would really prefer to stay with Verizon. Anyone know how Sprint compares to Verizon in the Chicago area?

By the way, Customer Care told me that the Verizon store I purchased from (Niles, IL) has been selling the Treo incorrectly with NA-MOU. That statement leads me to believe that they are in crack-down mode and will be coming after everyone.

-Brian
    When I got my Treo, I went from MOU to the 45/month - 20% corporate discount. That is fine for me since I use my Treo like a Blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Like 650now, if Verizon ever pulls this crap on me, I'm going to spend a few weeks checking out Sprint, and possibly Cingular. My contract's up, but my wife's isn't. I'd be willing to pay the ETF on her account if we had to switch. I paid full price for my Treo, and could certainly afford the $45/month for data, but am not willing to pay that hugely inflated amount.
    Are Cingular data rates cheaper? They looked the same as VZW on their website. Or, would you be switching just out of GP? I understand that too.

Sprint is not a viable alternative and my AT&T experience was equally horrid. Now that Cingular has absorbed AT&T, they are offering service in my area so I might consider them.
    Remember, to port your phone number you do NOT go into the store to cancel, instead goto sprint to have your number moved to them. That will cancel your service...

As for the Chicago area, I've traveled there many times with my sprint phones, coverage is great.
    Well, I don't think I would out of general principle, as I'm perfectly happy with Verizon's service and want to stay with them. I guess I'll cross the bridge if Verizon ever brings it to me and figure out my options at that point.
    This sucks. I bought my 600 3 weeks ago and signed up for the unlimited Data Plan because they gave me the $100 credit. For taking the $100 credit I have to keep the data plan for two months. After that though I planned on dropping the data plan and just using minutes. Any one with any good news, please shed some light.
    I have to add one tiny piece of experience from the Sprint side of the house. I bought my Treo 300 a few years back when they had a max 8MB/mo. plan. They introduced unlimited access for $10.00 a few months later and let me switch to that for no penalty. That plan is no longer available, but I have been able to keep it (and it includes all data features added to date EXCEPT video mail), unlimited, for the same $10.00. So, in other words, Sprint has only given to me and never taken away.

Some people hate Sprint's CS, but I have never had a problem with them. In fact, they've bent rules in many cases to keep my business.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Chiming in here for Sprint in Chicago: I've been using my T600 here in Chicago in Sprint's network for just about three/fours weeks now, and I have to say it's really good. Be careful, though, when you sign up for the data/Vision plan. I signed up, and they put me on the MegaUltra Premium package - which I, and most Treo users, don't need. Be very specific when signing up for Vision, as there are a few different levels of service. All, however, seem to include unlimited data - which is all I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    When I got my Treo, I went from MOU to the 45/month - 20% corporate discount. That is fine for me since I use my Treo like a Blackberry.

Are Cingular data rates cheaper? They looked the same as VZW on their website. Or, would you be switching just out of GP? I understand that too.

Sprint is not a viable alternative and my AT&T experience was equally horrid. Now that Cingular has absorbed AT&T, they are offering service in my area so I might consider them.
    Cingular MEdia Works Package:
    $19.95 Unlimited Data, 1500 SMS, 200 MMS (picture mail)
    Customer service great, and in my area (The OC in SoCali) and coverage always much better than Sprint or T-Mobile and since the around merger Equal or better than Verizon. Data now with 600 about 40kb/s, so slower than Sprint or Verizon, in this area but hoping for better with EDGE. Edge is around nation now, and 650 GSM supports it, so we will see.
    Another thought for us screwed VZW users: is it possible to create a new connection and connect to the internet through a different server, so we only use minutes?
    $20 for unlimited @ Cingular isn't bad and might be better if I can get a corporate discount. I'll have to calculate the cost of a Wireless Sync replacement. (I'm hooked on it.)

Can you use PDANet with this package? We'll be in business if EDGE doesn't add more cost and it is offered in the places where I'll be.

How is Cingular with phone replacements?
    I didn't see the $20 unlimited plan on their website. All I saw for unlimited data was $80/mo for Laptop Connect. Is the plan not available on their site?
  19.    #19  
    Shadowmite,

Thanks for the note on how to cancel service - I found that out today as I was working on switching from Verizon.

Thanks to everyone else on the Sprint recommendation. During my shopping around today, I was leaning towards them over Cingular. Plus, I can get a Treo 650 instead of the 600 and I have a 23% corporate discount (Altria/Kraft).

One other comment....I was in a Cingular store today and was told by a rep that data on a Treo 600 costs $39.99/month for unlimited access or $19.99/month for 5MB. The regular unlimited MEdia package ($19.99/month) for Cingular does not apply to PDA/Smartphones. So, Cingular is almost as expensive as Verizon.

-Brian
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Theta,

How did you set the account up? I've still got Earthlink dial-up and that would probably be fine for the light use I have.
    Yes it is great for light usage. Mostly I use mine for email. I have my gmail account forward incoming emails to my phone - short text message - as a means of instant notification, and I can "screen" the email based on the limited text that does show up. The just run Snapper (or whatever email client you use) to check email.

As far as set-up, it's simple. Here is a summary, PM me if you need more details.

1) Preferences - Network
    2) Menu - New
    3) Name - Your Choice
    4) Connection - Virtual Modem
    5) Rest you should be able to figure out from your Earthlink instructions

Goodluck, and DON'T PAY VERIZON'S DATA FEES! (unless your company picks up the bill )
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast