Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Been using VZN National plan mostly for voice but for an occasional Snapper mail send/receive and to browse the Web every once in a while since last August after the sales dude who sold me my 600 said the normal minutes would work for e-mail and Web surfing. Just before Christmas, I signed up for flight info notices from Souothwest via SMS on a flight I was taking, and I received several messages just before my flight. When I arrived at my destination and tried to check my e-mail via Snapper, I got the "Error: 3000: Data service is unavailable in this area. Please try again later. (0x173E)" reported on the originator's post. I got this message several times. After resetting my 600 to find the data still didn't work, I contacted VZN and was told that since I received several SMS messages, the VZN system automatically converted me to the data plan. She was helpful in resetting my service to what it was before I received the SMS messages, and told me that I should not use SMS anymore siince the same thing might happen.

A couple weeks ago, I got the same text message reported: "PLZ CLL VZW TO SLCT DATA PLN FOR PALM TREO PHN". I also got a voice mail on my home landline telling me to contact VZN immediately. I called and was told that I should sign up for the data plan. I told the CSR that I was happy where I was, using National Access minutes, and he told me they were suggesting customers use the data plan since many people had run up thousands of dollars in charges by not disconnnecting their 600's from the network when using the National plan for data or e-mail. I told her I have auto-disconnect selected for Snapper mail, and I am very diligent to disconnect when I browse the Web with the 600. He responded "OK, we just wanted to give you the data option", but never threatened to "cut me off" or force me to convert to a data plan.

What with other providers already starting to offer the 650, and with VZN taking FOREVER just to offer the 600 (and no 650 for the foreseeable future), I doubt that I would stay with them if they FORCED me to change over to the data plans. I only use maybe 45 minutes of data each month, so it doesn't make sense to change.
    Any of you who receive a call/SMS and talk to the Verizon CS reps and decline the data plan, please make sure to inform them that the cost (especially compared to competitors) didn't make sense for the light use requirements. I'm not sure if it will ever help, but it sure couldn't hurt.
    I'm gonna try this... Go into my local store and tell them I want to switch from Sprint to VZW. I've got my Treo w/ Sprint now and will sell it on ebay to hopefully cover most of the cost of a new one, what's left will be made up in savings in my monthly bill within a couple of months. The twist is this... tell them I don't want a data plan (was told over the phone by the store I don't need one) and ask that they put in writing that they'll refund the purchase price of the phone and waive their cancellation fee if I'm forced to get a data plan. I don't think they'll put it in writing but its the only way I'd switch.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Interestingly, after my lengthy conversation with the verizon rep and insisting on speaking with a supervisor (who was unavailable and would call back that day), I never heard back from them. It's now been about a week, data remains available, and the rep said she would not change anything until i spoke with the supervisor. I suspect this is not the end of this, but at least for now, all seems ok. Very annoying. As mentioned before, if they insist on a data plan, I will insist that they waive the cancellation fees for our phones.
    Wait till you get your bill. I bet you'll have a "Data" charge on it.

There is a petition on Howard Forums regarding the high cost for data on VZW -

http://www.petitiononline.com/vzwdata/petition.html

treonkc no problem on the heads up. verizon doesn't seem to be to sure on how the phone works themselves that's why they didn't tell you. I just received a replacement treo due to my rom getting corrupted again. Now my internet won't work because it says incorrent login/password even though i'm using the default connection. I even tried making my own connection with the corrent info and still doesn't work so i'm curious if they somehow changed it. Also when I called to activate new phone since online esn change wouldn't work the rep was like " which data plan did you want to add" I said I don't need one, i have a picture messaging package. then she's like "well did you just want to pay by the kilobyte usage?" I said no, i am using minutes of use. I told her that I had been using my treo for almost a year like this and i didn't want to make any changes. I'm not sure what the deal is with verizon but if they don't straighten out their internet i may be forced to leave.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i got the text message yesterday. . . i called and spoke to a really dumb csr she first told me that i would not be able to access data at all on my t600 if i did not subscribe to a data plan. . . after i explained to her that was not true ... she dutifully went through my choices and at my usage level with 3 phones on americas choice it appears that 1000 minutes would be 135/month i am now paying 120/month for 1200 minutes which includes the usage of the treo.... therefore unlimited data would be an additional $15/month (same as sprint) she also told me i could continue with mou but if i did there would be *no* credit for any dropped calls or for forgetting to disconnect from the internet and i would receive a letter from "legal" confirming that

i haven't decided what i am going 2 do yet ( i do not want to give vzw another $ but for the convenience of "unlimited" and not having to watch minutes and balance btwn data and voice i just may go for it
    Last edited by lazaruz; 01/26/2005 at 12:57 PM.
    lazaruz,

Beware that if she's referring to the new America's Choice ("regular" or Family Share) plans that yes, they are more cost effective for people like you with three lines, but changing to the new plan will extend your contract.

As long as you're comfortable with that, the $15 seems worth it.
    Wondering if anyone can offer any theories as to what's going on here:

Starting January 12 (1st day of billing cycle), I've been on MOU. In the first week, VZW was reporting 120 more peak minutes than MinutesPlus was reporting. I have battery doctor set to disable my data radio on screen-off, but after this first week, I also created a dummy connection and left that as the default. Since then, VZW has still been reporting a few more minutes per day than I would expect (but less than 120 min/week). For instance, as of 1/24 @ 11:00pm, I had used 259 minutes according to #MIN. Now, it says as of 1/25 @ 10:00pm I've used 270 minutes. However, my call log for 1/25 shows 5 calls, all of which are M2M calls. I didn't use any data on the 25th.

Is it possible that VZW is pinging my phone, even though I have my default connection set to a IR/Cable connection in Prefs > Network? I dont have VZW's email client set up, I use Snapper (which isn't set to check automatically). I am 99.9% sure that my phone has not been using a data connection except for when I initiate one. I have no programs that will start a data connection by itself, and when I do initiate a connection w/ Snapper or Blazer, it tries to use the Dummy connection unless I switch it back to the Verizon Wireless connection. Also, I haven't recieved a pix msg since I've recieved the phone. Does anyone have any guesses as to where these minutes are coming from?
    Verizon rounds up minutes so any partial minute goes up one.
    Not sure how up to date their minute reporting is. I know their data reporting is usually a few days behind and text messaging can be a couple of days behind.
    Well, got my first verizon bill to the tune of $3,505.00. They are giving me the credit for the bill and I am now on a data plan and voice plan. They have been helpful with resolving my issue but most do not understand the Treo that well.
    if when using MOU, if the gray arrows are present, you are being charged, then, why is it when I recieve a picture message the gray arrows stay until I do a disconnect. I do not subscribe to picture messaging and am charged .25 for each.

Does anyone else have the gray arrows present even after the picture message has been received?
    Yup, this is a problem with the Treo and picture messaging. If you expect a lot of pix msgs, you might want to get either the data plan, or an app called battery doctor, which kills the data connection when the screen is turned off.
    Do data charges accumulate when you use QNC or is it just when you use EN? I have a a T650 CDMA and could not get anyone to activate EN MOU for me, but according to this site, is it true that even if I got EN MOU, I would be deducted BOTH Minutes and KBs, for internet access? QNC, albeit sllllooooowww, is it soley deducted from your airtime minutes? Can anyone provide a list of fast loading websites (i guess WAP sites?)

MugsyRx
    If you have EN-MOU, it should only deduct from minutes.
    If you're paying by the kilobyte, your minutes should not be deducted as well.
    If you use, QNC, I believe it will only deduct from your minutes (beware that you still have the "open connection" issue with QNC and could possibly see large bills)
    I just upgraded to a Treo 600 from a Kyocera 7135. I convinced VZW that I am a really good customer...so they gave me a new Treo 600 with camera for fairly cheap before my two-year upgrade was due. Plus I got a nice deal eBay deal from another user on a Treo 600 without camera. Spouse will use the eBay unit...then we will probably upgrade me to the 650 if/when it becomes available on VZW, selling the oldest 600 we have. It may yet be a worth a few bucks in April/May/June when VZW carries the 650.

I came to VZW back in August 2003. In the last year and a half I have had to swap out my Kyo 7135 twice. Looking back I recognize the first time was probably unnecessary...the second time my phone took a swan dive off my desk and cracked in half. Each time I did the replacement I had to call and get the EN MOU back on my account. CS did this with no problems. My data usage has always come from my minutes...and it has been free evenings and weekends.

The last time I had to swap out phones was July 2004. Now it's March 2005, and I have been reading this and other smartphone forums closely. Knowing that I was about to upgrade to the Treo I called CS and asked exactly what kind of data access/plan I had on my phone. The CS rep called it 1XPP1. My Verizon bill and profile say " Natl Enhanced Svc Access". I looked up 1XPP1 in this and other forums...it made sense.

Fast forward to upgrade day. When I went to the VZW store I told them to swap ESNs and nothing else in changing from the Kyocera to the Treo. I specifically asked the rep to ensure that 1XPP1 stayed on my profile. Perhaps being a Kyo 7135 user with minutes only made the difference. I told him that I did not want Wireless Sync. He didn't hassle me about it. As a matter of fact, he even took the time to show me the difference between green arrows & gray arrows plus how to disconnect Blazer from the data network . So far my Treo isn't trying to access the network for data unless I am retrieving email or looking at web sites...when I'm done, I disconnect and that's it. I've been checking my data and minutes usage...and it looks like everything is in line.

In checking out my updated online profile I see that my Treo 600 has picture messaging, does not have Get it Now, does have National Access and texting.

If anything changes I will go to local store--I can show on my bill that I am not paying extra for these services, so they can't suddenly change the terms. I won't have a data plan forced on me. If they tried to force it, I think I would have pretty good grounds for a valid complaint.

Grace and peace,
    Vern
    Exterminate!

Palm Pilot-> Palm Pilot 1MG upgrade-> Palm IIIx-> Visor Deluxe-> Visor Prism-> Clie N610c-> Verizon Kyocera 7135-> Verizon Treo 600-> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Diamond
    Good luck with that, it sounds like you should be all set. Hopefully you won't have to put up a fight. Keep us posted.
    Well...turns out that all my hard work in getting this account set up to use minutes for data was for NOTHING!

I had the phone for a couple of days when I noticed when I did a check on Verizon's web page for data usage. I noticed that I was indeed getting charged per kb. So I called Verizon...and they gave me the same run-around that others have been getting on this board. They would not give me data usage deducted as minutes. She offered me the $45 per-line unlimited data plan. Their whole argument was that I "did not have a data agreement with Verizon..only a voice agreement." So I spoke to a supervisor, explaining that I never would have signed up with Verizon in 2003 with a data using device (my Kyocera 7135) had I known that I would be charged separately for data...that I had never hidden my usage of minutes for data as I had swapped out that phone more than once and specifically called to reinstate MOU...and that I wanted to cancel without early termination fees.

She agreed and asked me to return my equipment directly to the local store. She gave me her name and direct phone # (which works!) in case there were problems.

I went to the local Sprint store with a TreoCentral printout. They matched the deal on two Treo 650's. Got my number ported. Got unlimited data for both phones at $20/month.

I went back to the Verizon store and returned my 600.

(The last thing I have to do is sell the T600 (no camera) I bought on eBay. It arrived after I axed Verizon. It is in very nice condition...PM me if you are interested.)

Actually this whole thing bums me out. I was very happy with Verizon, was happy with the customer service they have provided...happy with network, happy with everything! I can only hope that we are as happy with Sprint.

Grace and peace,
    Vern
    Exterminate!

Palm Pilot-> Palm Pilot 1MG upgrade-> Palm IIIx-> Visor Deluxe-> Visor Prism-> Clie N610c-> Verizon Kyocera 7135-> Verizon Treo 600-> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Diamond
    Okay here is my situation. I've got two Treo's one for me and one for my wife. We've been under MOU since we got the phones last year. We have not been charged for the data because that is how our accounts were setup and how we understood the system to work. Recently we sent in my wife's phone because she has been having some issues w/ it reseting. They gave her a new phone. Now I received our most recent bill and she is being charged for KB usage, while my phone is still on MOU. I plan on calling and rectifying the issue. We did not authorize any change to our account and now I'm being charged for data usage, when our initial request was that our account be setup for MOU?

Wonder what will happen... Stay tuned...
    Quote Originally Posted by nutreo
    Okay here is my situation. I've got two Treo's one for me and one for my wife. We've been under MOU since we got the phones last year. We have not been charged for the data because that is how our accounts were setup and how we understood the system to work. Recently we sent in my wife's phone because she has been having some issues w/ it reseting. They gave her a new phone. Now I received our most recent bill and she is being charged for KB usage, while my phone is still on MOU. I plan on calling and rectifying the issue. We did not authorize any change to our account and now I'm being charged for data usage, when our initial request was that our account be setup for MOU?

Wonder what will happen... Stay tuned...
    I filed a complaint with the FCC about Verizon's business practices on this same situation and nothing was done. I hope you can keep your MOU.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast