1.    #1  
    Hi Guys,

I just got a shiny new Treo 650. After installing and removing some software, somewhere between new version of Fonts4OS5 and ZLauncher, I (or rather my Treo 650) enter a non-stop reset loop. Nothing I tried, including reset, warm reset, hard reset would stop it. Even after a hard reset, and hitting up arrow to erase all memory, device returns to the reseting screen, and continues to cycle.

During my search, I found something that is called zero out reset on T5, which will clear out NVFS and bring device back to initial state.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(887)

I have tried to follow instructions (and after bending myself into a pretzel) I manage to get to the 'bootloader v.17' screen. The reset does not happen.

Questions to anybody who can help:

1. is there a zero out reset procedure for Treo 650?
    2. anything else I can try to stop reset loop
    3. if nothing of above help, and since I got Treo from the road show, who do I talk to replace the device?
    Could you please explain how you are trying a hard reset? Unless you were flashing the rom you shouldn't have been able to screw up the phone beyond a hard reset...

Furthermore, how far the it get when booting before it loops again? Does the second palm logo screen come up? Or just the first?
    Last edited by shadowmite; 12/28/2004 at 12:46 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Could you please explain how you are trying a hard reset? Unless you were flashing the rom you shouldn't have been able to screw up the phone beyond a hard reset...
    That's what I thought too. :-(. For hard reset I am openning the back (where the battery is, pressing the red END button, sticking the stylus into the reset whole, and when the bar grows all the way to the end of the screen, letting out the END button. I get prompted to clear out the memory, press up on the 5 way, and the whole reset cycle starts again.

Furthermore, how far the it get when booting before it loops again? Does the second palm logo screen come up? Or just the first?

I get the initial screen, with a growing bar, after which i get the round palm logo, and after few seconds, a reboot starts again. If I boot up with a warm reset, second part of boot (with circilar logo) is much shorter.
    Try holding up while pressing and releasing reset... Hold up till the cycle starts again or the phone screen comes up. Anything?

Also, try pressing the home button rapidly while the circle logo is up... Anything? Weird! You might have corrupted the rom somehow. Do you have a serial cable for the phone by any chance? You might need one to fix it, maybe just take it to a sprint store and get the replacement.
  5.    #5  
    Try holding up while pressing and releasing reset... Hold up till the cycle starts again or the phone screen comes up. Anything?
    Also, try pressing the home button rapidly while the circle logo is up...
    Does not seem to make any difference. Holding up (warm reset?) seems to be completely ignored. Reboots just proceeds normally (or at least as before). Pressing home also does not seem to make that much difference.

Anything? Weird! You might have corrupted the rom somehow. Do you have a serial cable for the phone by any chance? You might need one to fix it, maybe just take it to a sprint store and get the replacement.
    I can't imagine how I would have corrupted the ROM, but it does seem that the phone is f*d. I am guessing there is something in NVFS that survives a hard reset, and if there was a way to clear it out, it would be great. Palm tech support also claims ignorance of being able to do this.:-(.

Btw, is serial cable different then a hotsync cable (which is USB).

Sprint would not replace it, since i got it from Vienna Channels, but palm would not either, since i did not get it from them. I still have not heard from Vienna Channels, but hopefully this can happen sometime this year.

Both Sprint and Palm so far told me to send it back. Also, palm tech support claims that there is no documented equivalent to Zero
    I had the same problem. The first time I returned the phone. The second time I held in the reset button while holding the red button down and (the center button down or up - I can't remember which) and hotsync button while the hot synced cable was attached. I got to the boot loader screen and pushed up. It ask "erase all data?" I pushed yes and erased the data. The I Hot Synced again but pulled the cable off before it was finished. I deleted a few programs and files and Hotsynced again. ( I did this because I thought the problem was I over filled the memory on the 650)

I didn't get anywhere until I held the Hot Sync button down. I suspect that the Hot sync command interupted the reboot cycle at an opertune point.
    Last edited by nicholas1836; 12/28/2004 at 05:15 PM. Reason: grammer
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    This also happened to me yesterday. The last app I installed caused the T650 to run out of space and it went into an endless reset loop. Eventually I was able to do a hard reset and restore factory settings. It was very difficult to do the hard reset because I wasn't quick enough to press the Up arrow to "erase all" before the phone would reboot itself. I followed the hard reset instructions exactly and it still took several tries.
    You pulled off the hardware cable while hotsyncing? You must be trying to cause a problem.

If you don't want everything loaded, you should remove files from the backup folder before hotsyncing.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas1836
    I had the same problem. The first time I returned the phone. The second time I held in the reset button while holding the red button down and (the center button down or up - I can't remember which) and hotsync button while the hot synced cable was attached. I got to the boot loader screen and pushed up. It ask "erase all data?" I pushed yes and erased the data. The I Hot Synced again but pulled the cable off before it was finished. I deleted a few programs and files and Hotsynced again. ( I did this because I thought the problem was I over filled the memory on the 650)

I didn't get anywhere until I held the Hot Sync button down. I suspect that the Hot sync command interupted the reboot cycle at an opertune point.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas1836

Nickolas: How do you cause a memory clear from the bootloader screen? I got to the bootloader screen following instruction in the link (first message in this thread) but when then? Up does not seem to do anything.
    From the bootloader you are going to need a serial cable... That's not the route you want to go. At least not until someone else pioneers it and gets the correct commands. I am still a few days from being able to get this part done... I don't believe you can run any command from the bootloader screen without the cable attached, thus the reason you can't get to it without the cable attached! But you could already try a "?" and enter to see if it lists any commands (I doubt it).
    At the time I pulled it off the hotsync cable I still assumed it was toast!
    Hay shadowmite - What about the hotsync cable? When my treo was continually rebooting and I held down the button on the hotsync cable the PC recognized the TREO 650 as an unknown usb device.
    That's because the USB controller circuits were still working (they just need power). But I don't believe you can talk to the bootloader over USB. Maybe HTC has a special driver or program that can, but we can't do that without seeing it ourselves to see how it works...