Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have seen a lot of the threads on how to encode video for the Palm OS on the PC using various different PC software/freeware. But I wanted to be able to do this on my Mac for as little money as possible. So I have created a guide on how to encode video for the Treo 650 with QuickTime Pro. And then watch the encoded movies with the built in video player on your Treo 650. The QuickTime created files are in the .3g2 file format, which is the native format of the Treo 650 created movies so they play back fine. So check out the PDF file of the guide and tell me what you think.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Looks intriguing. Gonna find some time in the next few days to upgrade to QT Pro and give it a try.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by AZGT
    Looks intriguing. Gonna find some time in the next few days to upgrade to QT Pro and give it a try.
    I think the advantage to encoding your video this way is being able to use the built-in video player that supports the 5 way D-pad. And there is no need to use up valuable internal memory space with MMPlayer when there already is a video player included. Also I have not had any audio sync problems that some others have reported when using Pocket DVD.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    The 3g2 format certainly works, but the sound quality is pretty bad. Will any higher quality audio work with the native Treo 650 movie application?
    That's not good. How's your sound quality iscripter?
  6.    #6  
    My sound quality is ok. It is only mono and I am usually listening with a single ear piece head set. It would be nice to have better sound but the option in Quicktime for stereo is grayed out. I can clearly hear what everyone is saying in the movie also.
    thanks for the guide
    i can see this being useful with a few minute home movie, does this work with a dvd of a movie, can you encode it into this format? is it doable? does it take forever? trying to get a sense of what I am getting myself into before I do it.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitanylyn
    thanks for the guide
    i can see this being useful with a few minute home movie, does this work with a dvd of a movie, can you encode it into this format? is it doable? does it take forever? trying to get a sense of what I am getting myself into before I do it.
    Yes, it is possible. I did not explain how to get the movies from the DVD because I assumed everyone already knew how to do that part. I use an application called Handbrake. Which will give you the movie as a ".mp4" mpeg4 file. Then I go through all the steps inculded in my guide.

link to Handbrake software
    http://handbrake.m0k.org/
    The guide you you published workd well and was reasonably quick on my G5. I already had Quicktime Pro sound is just OK, not spectacular but the price was right and it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by iscripter
    Yes, it is possible. I did not explain how to get the movies from the DVD because I assumed everyone already knew how to do that part. I use an application called Handbrake. Which will give you the movie as a ".mp4" mpeg4 file. Then I go through all the steps inculded in my guide.

link to Handbrake software
    http://handbrake.m0k.org/
    Hello:
    Thanks for the suggestion of bypassing apps like D-vison encoder,

I have Quicktime Pro and your directions were excellent but I found audio quality to be really unacceptable with content containing music.

When I subsequently tried to tweak the audio options under "3G Export Settings" I ended up with "no" audio and when I chose "speech", ..... music sounds very bad.

I used MacTheRipper and HandBrake which created a nice, very small file and an acceptable quality with respect to both audio and video when played in Quicktime on the Mac.

I'm pleased with the size of the file, the video and audio quality in Quicktime.
    I'm reasonably happy with the video quality of the exported file on the T650.

The problem was what seemed to be a choice of ultra low quality audio or no audio on the T650 depending on the audio settings while exporting from Quicktime Pro.

Another question regarding HandBrake:

Can HandBrake process a whole folder containing three (3) folders as follows: AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS, and DVD-ROM Contents ?

A 700 MB file ended up only 40MB. I would be willing to have better quality even with larger files on the SD card. I have another 2GB SD card on the way. Fun.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks again for posting the Quicktime Pro alternative.

Thanks
    Mike
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Produce Her
    Hello:
    Thanks for the suggestion of bypassing apps like D-vison encoder,

I have Quicktime Pro and your directions were excellent but I found audio quality to be really unacceptable with content containing music.

When I subsequently tried to tweak the audio options under "3G Export Settings" I ended up with "no" audio and when I chose "speech", ..... music sounds very bad.

I used MacTheRipper and HandBrake which created a nice, very small file and an acceptable quality with respect to both audio and video when played in Quicktime on the Mac.

I'm pleased with the size of the file, the video and audio quality in Quicktime.
    I'm reasonably happy with the video quality of the exported file on the T650.

The problem was what seemed to be a choice of ultra low quality audio or no audio on the T650 depending on the audio settings while exporting from Quicktime Pro.

Another question regarding HandBrake:

Can HandBrake process a whole folder containing three (3) folders as follows: AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS, and DVD-ROM Contents ?

A 700 MB file ended up only 40MB. I would be willing to have better quality even with larger files on the SD card. I have another 2GB SD card on the way. Fun.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks again for posting the Quicktime Pro alternative.

Thanks
    Mike
    handbrake is crashing all the time
    handbrake and quicktime pro works well for me, but my movie came out as about 150mb...how are you guys getting the movie file down to around 50mb?

i'm getting about a 700mb .mp4 movie from handbrake then using quicktime pro to get a .3g2 movie file.
    I used the tutorial and it worked great however, my video is backwards. When I watch the video via the Palm Pic/Video player it's as if I'm watching it in a mirrior!
    TreoSaurus
    Click the horizontal arrow when setting size.
    Quote Originally Posted by hcaley
    The 3g2 format certainly works, but the sound quality is pretty bad. Will any higher quality audio work with the native Treo 650 movie application?

Has anyone experimented yet and has anyone achieved better quality sound with Quicktime Pro encoding?

Thanks

Mike
    The Qcelp option under audio is greyed out. Any ideas?

thanks,

erik
    I even applied the instruction on the XP PC running QuickTime Pro and the conversion process works too. Again, is only in Mono, no stero.

I have a few test clips that was made using DVD to Mobile(Sony P800&910) and it has a hard time playing it on the PIC & Video player--it just freezes(maybe the bitrate or audio rate is too high)--the audio is there.

Is nice to know there is an alternative. Thanks.
  18.    #18  
    I have not found a way to make the audio quality any better with the Quicktime Pro generated .3g2 files. Although I am experimenting with mpeg4 files. According to the Palmone website the included media player on the T650 is supposed to be capable of playing back mpeg4. I will let you guys know what I find out.

Also thanks everybody for the positive feedback on my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by iscripter
    I have not found a way to make the audio quality any better with the Quicktime Pro generated .3g2 files. Although I am experimenting with mpeg4 files. According to the Palmone website the included media player on the T650 is supposed to be capable of playing back mpeg4. I will let you guys know what I find out.

Also thanks everybody for the positive feedback on my post.
    scripter- Thanks very much again for this post. I have a feeling the audio quality can be improved with mpeg4....

The .3g2 fles are definitely compact/small so this is definitely on the right track and better than some of the other third party choices.

Using Quicktime Pro was a great idea ...maybe it is a matter of twqeaking and trial and error, but you know that...

Have you tried any other methods that yield a decent qulality audio track with an mpeg4 or .3g2 end product?

Thanks

Mike
    I tried using the quicktime pro method with eyetv recordings and I have no audio track. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get this to work with eyetv? I would be eternally grateful.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast