Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone
    Anyone else waiting for the 500?
    "The three Bluetooth headsets are the JABRA BT500, successor of the B200 and BT250 models. The BT800 full-featured headset, and the BT110 entry level headset.

The BT500 is an ultra-lightweight (20 grams) headset and is 30 percent slimmer than the earlier generation products. With up to 8 hours of talk time and 240 hours of standby time, the headset also features increased range, faster connection to the phone and improved audio quality. Additional features such as a LED indicator to display charging and battery levels, and a dedicated pairing button, are designed to offer greater convenience and ease of use to consumers.. "

I love the design of the 250, but sounds like it doesn't work well with the 650.

This 500 sounds perfect. smaller, lighter. I just hope that it works with the 650. Sounds like it's coming out in January? anyone else hear anything?

Just tried it yesterday. Really wanted to like it but alas another BT headset heading back to BestBuy. Great design but did not perform.

See my review in the post below:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=97033
    Quote Originally Posted by ephraimg
    for the most part, have have to agree with cgordonn's initial impressions of the bt500. I got this headset since my hs810 didn't have "full" functionality with my 650. the 500 is slimmer and feels lighter than the previous freespeaks and none of the issues reported with the bt800 have cropped up in my use. I've tried all the functions and they work as advertised. most important for me was the fact that the outgoing calls automatically get routed to the headset (no more hitting send on my treo and then hitting the button on my headset). The only thing I differ in opinion on is that I find the volume of the headset a bit too low. the call quality is fine, but i'd simply prefer a bit more volume. oh, and the phone rings in the headset but there is a delay. i think it finally rings in the headset on the 4th ring or so. no biggie, since you can still answer the phone before that. overall, i'm happy with my purchase, but it hasn't even been 24 hours yet. but right now, the bt500 is tops in my book.
    How do you like your BT500 now that you've been using it for a while? I bought mine yesterday and considering returning it. Too much static and latency in picking up of calls (incoming/outgoing).

DP
    I have made the preference setting changes. I even set it to answer after 1 ring. It is still not automatically answering when the phone rings. I keep waiting and the people around me are wondering why this goof is not answering his phone. Also, should the BT500 also connect automatically when I am dialing out? I believe I had this capability on my Cardo Scala 500. The Cardo worked great but it never felt secure on my ear. Again, I must have left something out of the process on the BT500. Any ideas? I am beginning to think mine is defective (or maybe I am defective.)

Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar
    I have made the preference setting changes. I even set it to answer after 1 ring. It is still not automatically answering when the phone rings. I keep waiting and the people around me are wondering why this goof is not answering his phone. Also, should the BT500 also connect automatically when I am dialing out? I believe I had this capability on my Cardo Scala 500. The Cardo worked great but it never felt secure on my ear. Again, I must have left something out of the process on the BT500. Any ideas? I am beginning to think mine is defective (or maybe I am defective.)

Cougar
    When I had the BT500, it picked up incoming calls after about 3 rings even when I had the pref set to pick up after 1 ring. Same when set as answer immediately. It also picked up the outgoing call after a few seconds. But as I mentioned in other posts, while the design was nice the quality was sub-par. Returning it to BB after a day of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark
    .... But as I mentioned in other posts, while the design was nice the quality was sub-par. Returning it to BB after a day of using it.
    How close to the headset did the phone have to be before you got clear sound (no static or breaking up) . With the bt250v I had to hold the phone at my neck if I was wearing the headset. At that point you loose the purpose for the headset. I have a SPCS 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Cheese
    How close to the headset did the phone have to be before you got clear sound (no static or breaking up) . With the bt250v I had to hold the phone at my neck if I was wearing the headset. At that point you loose the purpose for the headset. I have a SPCS 650
    I had to also hold it right up to the headset when trying out the 250v.

The BT500 was okay few feet away. But soon as it was not in line of sight, static. Others have reported poor voice quality when calling out. I still have yet to return it and will test again since I do want to like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn

Pairing
    The one button pairing is nice. Press it in and the BT500 goes into pairing mode. The button is recessed, so I used the tip of my Treo stylus to press it. No problems pairing with my SPCS Treo 650.

cgordonn:

I just picked one up, too. However, I'm having trouble pairing it. When you press the pairing button, does the blue indicator immediately light up? I press mine over and over and nothing happens. Also, how do you know when the BT500 is on? Maybe that's the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by kaileo
    I just picked one up, too. However, I'm having trouble pairing it. When you press the pairing button, does the blue indicator immediately light up? I press mine over and over and nothing happens. Also, how do you know when the BT500 is on? Maybe that's the problem?
    Holding the answer/end call button at the end of the boom mic will turn the BT500 on/off. When pairing, press the pairing button in with your stylus, since it is too recessed for pressing with a finger tip. The blue LED should be a solid blue when the BT500 enters pairing mode.

I have actually returned my BT500 to Best Buy, due to issues with outgoing sound quality. I liked the BT500, but everyone I spoke with said I sounded pretty bad. I am not waiting receipt of a new Plantronic Voyager 510.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    I had to also hold it right up to the headset when trying out the 250v.

The BT500 was okay few feet away. But soon as it was not in line of sight, static. Others have reported poor voice quality when calling out. I still have yet to return it and will test again since I do want to like it.
    So I gave the BT500 another shot today. Definitely returning it.

1. It had to be paired again. Bad... Not sure why.
    2. Receipient on the call complained that he counldn't hear me well. My voice sounded choppy. He said "you sounded much better on the other one" referring to my Voyager 510.
    3. Placing the phone on the same side as the headset did not improve. Making the same call with my Voyager 510 with phone not in line of sight worked fine.
    4. Outgoing call did not transfer first few times to the BT500. When it did, it took several seconds, generally after the receipient has already answered "hello" a few times. Again, Voyager 510 transferred almost immediately.
    5. Verified that incoming call is slow to transfer as well. Took 3 rings. Voyager only 1 ring.

Now I know Voyager 510 isn't perfect and you may have different results. But after having gone through 9 headsets, I've at least found one that's usable in the Voyager 510.

I am going to test one more headset before wrapping up this test. I'm waiting to receive the Discovery 640.

DP
    Last edited by dpark; 10/04/2005 at 08:07 PM.
    ...I'm waiting to receive the Discovery 640...DP
    dpark,
    Where are you buying the 640 from and for how much?
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Amazon for around $99 with free shipping. Figure I could try it and return it if it doesn't work out. It'll just cost me the shipment charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    Where are you buying the 640 from and for how much?
    buy.com has the 640 for $77.99 but they're out of stock.
    Thanks guys!
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Cheese
    buy.com has the 640 for $77.99 but they're out of stock.

Please note that Buy.com does not offer refunds but only credit for opened cellular accessories. Keep in mind if you are not sure if you are going to keep it. Amazon is more lenient and offers a refund.

From Buy.com's Return Policy: "Opened cellular accessories and defective pre-paid phones may be returned for a replacement item only, and not for a credit."
    good to know. Thanks
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Wow guys. I've had BT500 for a while now and I'm not experiencing the poor sound quality everyone's talking about. I don't use the auto answer feature either I really can't comment on it. That said, I'm actually still pretty happy with the BT500. My phone is never more than a few feet away from me, so that may be why I'm not experiencing some of the other issues. I will say that I still wish it was a bit louder on my end and that the call going to the headset is sometimes a bit slow, but usually it's reasonable. One thing that does irk me is that sometimes when I manually transfer a call to my headset, the phone resets. So the call is lost. That really burns my britches but that's a 650 issue, not the headset. Maybe I've just been lucky or my expectations are a little lower they should be. At any rate, a friend of mine picked up the Plantronics Discovery 640 for his Treo and so far he's enjoying it. Maybe if my 500 ever starts giving me the problems you guys are talking about I'll go out and pick that up. I've still got a few weeks before I can't return the 500 to BB.
    EG
    "I'd rather be happy than right"
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon
    I just recently bought this after having had the BT250 and Nokia HS-4W and this thing is it. It is the best of the bunch (also the newest) and works flawlessly with my T650. Response is fast and the only time I have connection issues is when disconnecting the charger. There's a brief period where it doesn't respond but 1 push of the answer button reconnects it.
    Well this is my first post and not sure I'm doing it right.

Just received my BT500 (2month on backorder with Hello direct)
    So far, so good but have done very little testing. After reading all the other posts on this thread I just thought I'd throw out something about the Treo 650 itself and call volumes. Out of the box the treo leaves a lot to be desired re: call quality and volume. I fixed that by use of third party application "Volume Care" but absolutely feel ripped off by Palm in that I had to pay $15 for software to fix a deficiencyin their product! Why does Palm not do this for us? (Well, I'm glad I got that out of my system).

I'm hopeful that the BT 500 works well. I previously trie Treo headset and did not like it's performance but that was before i added Vol. Care. I sent the Treo H.set back. It also felt too light and like it was going to fly off if I turned too quickly. Also I think the behind ear form factor looks and feels better.

So, I will be putting the BT500 through it's paces this weekend and hope it all works out.

BTW, also have started using TomTom Nav 5 recently (I travel a lot) and was hoping that GPS using BT and Headset could be used at some time but I'm told that will not be the case.
    rICKY7425
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12