1.    #1  
    I am getting ready to start my medical school rotations in June and recently purchased my VDx. What should I load on it. Is lexi-drugs better than the PDR? What is a good lab value program? Is 5-min consult worth it? Thanks in advance.
    This was a duplicate post...

[This message has been edited by Taki (edited 02-01-2000).]
    PDR is besically a compilation of drug package inserts. I seldom use it(hardcopy) at work(I'm a pharmacist). The only advantage of PDR to Lexi-Drug is that it's available as a Springboard module. The electronical version costs $200. Update is $100/year.

Lexi-Drug is an electronical version of Lexi-Comp's Drug Information Handbook(aka pharmaciy students' bible) . I haven't tried it on my Visor but read a lot of good reviews & posts. It is $70, and update is $30/year. I also read that if you get Apothecarium($104), which is a fancier version, it can be accessed from 5-min. consult(e.g. you can check if a drug causes drug-drug interactions with pt's current meds). IMHO, Lexi-Drug sounds more useful & I am considering getting one myself(wish I had it during my clinical rotation).

For reviews & discussions on other programs you mentioned, I'd recommend checking PDAMD site.
    I'm a first year resident in family medicine. I use Epocrates for drug stuff (free), and patient keeper for patients (also free). Then I've downloaded DDx from the healthy palmpilot site. That's it. I've seen the 5minute Clinical consult in attendings' hands and it looks pretty good. But if you're just starting clinical rotations, there's no way around carrying a "Practical guide to the care of the medical patient" by Ferri and a pocket Pharmacopeia. I hope that helps.
    I didn't mention earlier but I use ePocrates, too. It's pretty good for free. Things missing from ePocrates are MOA & peds dosing.
    You probably know this already, but there are a few good medical PDA links at http://www.louisville.edu/~dahass01/palm.html
    Originally posted by Taki:
    I didn't mention earlier but I use ePocrates, too. It's pretty good for free. Things missing from ePocrates are MOA & peds dosing.
    The newest update includes some paeds dosing.

------------------
    Eugene Hsieh
    Editor, VisorCentral FAQ
    Come visit my homepage.

[This message has been edited by Eug (edited 02-01-2000).]
    A couple of other great programs to have loaded for the wards are a two medical calculators. Check out both MedMath v1.1 by Philip Cheng M.D. and ABG Pro v1.1 by Wade Carlson M.D.. Both of these programs can be found at www.palmgear.com and both are FREEware. I have field tested both and they are excellent.

ZIPF
    I just downloaded updated ePocrates. In addition to peds, now it has renal dosing too(my floor has a lot of nephro pts)! I'm impressed. Thanks Eug.
    Having used ePocrates, I find it very useful especially for reminding me of drug interactions and dosages.

I also find Stat ICD-9 Finder (available in doc format) useful for looking up common and obscure diagnostic codes.
    Regarding lexidrugs, I would recommend PDH from @Hand medical software to lexidrugs. It supplies more information about the drug, and in my humble opinion, is better formatted for easier reading. There is a review of it at handheldmed.com website. Of course, it you don't need pharmacodynamics and pharacokinetics, and just need dosing information, I would stick with epocrates, a great program, especially considering its free.