1.    #1  
    I did the ROM update to get some free apps but lost real player. Didn't mind at the time cause sounds like lots of people dislike real player. Now here's the dilemma:
    Need something to play mp3's with. Ideally, I'd like a free option, but I don't see one. Does anyone know of a free option?

I could buy ptunes, but then read mmplayer also plays mp3's? Eventually I wanted to play dvd's from t650. Should I just get the mmplayer instead of ptunes? Any drawbacks from using mmplayer to play mp3's?

Again, I'd rather have a free option. But if I have to pay, I can't tell if it's worth it to pay for ptunes or mmplayer for playing mp3's. Heck, I don't even know if I was going to buy mmplayer in the first place cause lots of people are happy with Kinoma, so another option is to buy ptunes and later Kinoma?

All I know is that I'm leaving for training in one week, will be away for a month, and just want to play mp3s. I'm studying my *** off before I leave otherwise I'd launch a federal investigation to figure out the ultimate dvd software, but can't do that right now. I was looking for some friendly advice. Can somebody share some insight? Or a free mp3 app?
    You could get the free RealPlayer MP3 player (again), and use that until you make a more permanent decision.

http://www.realnetworks.com/industri...alm/index.html
  3.    #3  
    This may seem like a silly question, but, it's not going to install in the ROM- is it? I'd definitely download a copy that is removable. Anyone know?
    No it won't install to ROM, and it can be deleted, although it is a pretty large file.
    I would go with p tunes as it also does streaming audio from websites like shoutcast.com
    I would go P Tunes. I used Realplayer for a while when I first bought my 650. However, there are several significant disadvantages. The biggest for me was the instability. I had tons of soft resets while switching between songs. This usually wouldn't be that big of a deal. However, since I use Goodlink, every time the phone resets Goodlink has to reindex all of my emails which can take 1-2 minutes(about 8k emails in multiple different folders). In addition, I frequently received error messages from Realplayer that I didn't have the licenses to listen to the purchased songs despite the fact that I purchased them and transferred them to the 650 using the Realplayer desktop client. I would have to soft reset to get the songs to work again. I have also gone to non-proprietary MP3's instead of the DRM encoded files that Realplayer uses. I now usually purchase songs from itunes then decrypt them and convert them to MP3 format. It works well and doesn't tie me to a particular program. I don't feel bad about it since I am purchasing them in the first place and am not redistributing. In fact, I'm told that the m4a files that result from decrypting itune songs still have identifying information about the owner/purchaser(me). I am also streaming audio a fair amount using Shoutcast. This is great with the only down side being that callers to your phone will get your voice mail since you are using the data service while streaming the Shoutcast music. Just my opinion, go with P Tunes Deluxe. I am also using a Monster FM Transmitter in my car to stream the Shoutcast and play the MP3's through my car stereo. It also allows me to go hands free with my phone using the phone's internal mic and the audio for the voice call coming through my car speakers. This works quite well especially since my car's Bluetooth hasn't been activated by BMW yet. It even pauses the P Tunes while on a call then returns to music when the call ends. Sorry for the long winded response but I've been through this same decision recently.
  7.    #7  
    Isn't there a way to get ptunes for free? I read somewhere that t600 people got it for free. Is that something that t650 owners can swing? Can anyone help? Also, is anyone familiar with using mmplayer to listen to mp3's? I know shoutcast is a deciding factor for lots but I don't use it. There could be cost savings by using mmplayer, but are there any disadvantages to using mmplayer to listen to mp3's?
    Pocket tunes, the basic version, does most everything that the deluxe version does, except shoutcast streaming music, and is well worth every penny of the $14.95 that it costs. (LINK )I got the deluxe and paid 27.95 and feel it was worth every penny as well. Just buy the darn program. Support our software writers. They work hard, support their products, and deserve to make a living too.

just my 3 cents.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttoppins
    This works quite well especially since my car's Bluetooth hasn't been activated by BMW yet.
    I'd be curious to hear more about this experience when it happens. Let us know how the BMW's BT works with the Treo 650!
  10.    #10  
    OK, I splurged for ptunes, however I can't figure out what to do when the music is playing and I receive a phone call at the same time. The music continues to play and I can't figure out how to shut off the music so I can take the call (when a call comes in, the ptunes screen goes away immediately, otherwise I would have pressed stop/pause). What do you guys do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    I'd be curious to hear more about this experience when it happens. Let us know how the BMW's BT works with the Treo 650!
    I'll let you know if/when I get my bluetooth upgrade on my 2004 530. BMW has been very non-comittal. They said when I bought the car that the bluetooth upgrade would be coming. Now they say that my car was manufactured too early and that I need to undergo a very expensive hardware upgrade. Needless to say I'm a little upset We'll see what happens. For now I am very happy using the FM transmitter because it allows me to play my MP3's and use the phone handsfree. I doubt that bluetooth will allow the former.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttoppins
    I'll let you know if/when I get my bluetooth upgrade on my 2004 530. BMW has been very non-comittal. They said when I bought the car that the bluetooth upgrade would be coming. Now they say that my car was manufactured too early and that I need to undergo a very expensive hardware upgrade. Needless to say I'm a little upset We'll see what happens. For now I am very happy using the FM transmitter because it allows me to play my MP3's and use the phone handsfree. I doubt that bluetooth will allow the former.
    Well don't feel too bad (at least not yet.) I've followed the thread in the Bluetooth forum, and there are folks with BT enabled BMWs, and the Treo 650 isn't linking or working properly.

And the notes for the recent Treo CarKit Bluetooth update seemed to mention every car manufacturer *except* BMW. So be aware before plunking down the cash...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/se...earchid=866795