1.    #1  
    Hey all,
    I just ordered an "unlocked GSM" Treo600 from Palmone.com. I currently have a T-637 with Cingular. I assume I can just take the SIM card out of my 637 and put it in the new phone. What else do I need to do once I get it to get it "working." (Activated through Cingular).

Any advice on apps (this is in a business environment), syncing with a G5.
    if infact it is unlocked, then just putting the sim in should make the phone work.

i would get a media works package if you dont have one already. u may get some flack if you tell them it is for your treo, let them assum it is for the t-637.

the full version of doc to go and an email program if the treo doesnt come with one.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by SafariX
    Hey all,
    I just ordered an "unlocked GSM" Treo600 from Palmone.com. I currently have a T-637 with Cingular. I assume I can just take the SIM card out of my 637 and put it in the new phone. What else do I need to do once I get it to get it "working." (Activated through Cingular).

Any advice on apps (this is in a business environment), syncing with a G5.
    It WILL be unlocked, don't worry, Palm One nor Cingular locked these phones. If it wasn't unlocked, they would have asked you the carrier.

If it is like every other release you will get a disk. Load it in your PC. Either on the disk or as a download, you will get a configuration program that automatically puts in all of Cingular's settings.

The 600 does come with a fine email program depending on your needs. If you need pushed verses pulled email I would reccommend Chatter. Any other thrid party program depends on your needs. I found Sound Record to be very useful, for a while but will move to audacity when my 650 arrives for voice recording and dicatation.

I also recommend signing up for MEdia Works package. They should not hassle you, if they do hand up and get another rep. iF you live on the West Coast, call in the morning or the afternoon. The San Jose office is 10x more acommidating and knowledgable than the Louisiana office, I hang up if I get the Louisiana office anytime.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the help guys. I intentionally selected the "unlocked GSM" model when ordering because it was 479 instead of 599 (Cingular model).

So I just switch SIMs? I dont need to call them up to "activate" the phone?

And what is the benefit of media works?
    no need to call them.

media works is their gprs service. lets you get on the internet to check mail surf the web.\
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Let me expand on Felipe very short answers.
    Treo has four ways of communicating other than phone conversations. There is SMS, Short message service which is great with Cingular, fast and reliable. It is the most reliable provider of SMS. SMS if you don't know is Short Message Service. It allows you to type a message to any Cell phone user just by typing in the message and the persons phone number. It is is limited to 160 Characters, less the length of the persons email address or phone number.

There is MMS which is picture messages, works great within Cingular, works 60 percent of the time with T-Maybe customers and less than that for other carriers. Sends pictures you take with your phone. Kinda of a gimmick for most, but can be useful. Works haphazardly between carriers.

You can send email using your own email service if it supports imap or pop. the Phone uses the internet to send messages.

You have internet available on the Treo. Internet and Email are handled through 2 different ways.

One is called Wireless Internet. they charge you $3.99 a month and you tick of your package minutes for your plan. This is a slower way of connecting.

The other is called Wireless Internet Express and that charges you per kb dowloaded or uploaded. If you use a lot of data, through email or web usage this can be expensive.

MEdia works comes in two packages. Felipe and I suggest the higher package because the faster wireless Internet express is included, and you never need to worry about data charges.
    $19.95 a month includes:
    Unlimited Internet
    1500 SMS
    200 SMS

Here is a link:
    http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase

Oh and felipe is right, no need to call cingular.

Hope this helps.