Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For those of us who use a bluetooth connection to access the Internet from the Treo via a PC -- everything worked except for Blazer, which has a hard coded proxy pointing to Sprint.

This is how to change it, and be able to use Blazer both while on the Vision network, and on the local bluetooth LAN:

From the phone application:
    ##DATA#
    Menu -> Browser
    Click on "Modify"
    You will need to enter the MSL code for your phone (sorry, 000000 won't work on this screen, as I've tried it)
    Once the screen is unlocked, change the Primary NGG to all blank, and the Port to 0. Leave Secure Port blank
    Do the same for the Secondary NGG and Port

GOOD NEWS: Now Blazer works perfectly through both Vision and Bluetooth. No need to fumble around with proxies.
    BAD NEWS: You will need to get the MSL code for your phone somehow. I managed to get mine by calling in tech support, and pretending my phone accessed the wrong pictures account. After tech support sent a Vision profile update to my phone, I pretended that didn't fix the problem (of course there was no problem in reality), and the tech asked me to clear the pictures token (##DATA# then Menu > Pictures, and click on the Clear Pictures Token). I made up that the phone asked me for a Master Subsidy Lock, and he obligingly gave it to me. I wrote it down, saved it, and did the proxy thing later.

NOTE: I also wrote down, for backup purposes, the original values for the Primary and Secondary NGG (although so far everything works great -- and faster too, since Blazer now bypasses the extra step of going through Sprint's Proxies)

Let me know if this works out for you folks.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by mwilson; 12/26/2004 at 08:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Those sprint proxies can be a problem -- they make Blazer go down sometimes I hope there is a simple way to get that mml number.

Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    ok, when i do this... i dont have any of the screens you reference...
    i have user/pass
    ha pass
    primary/secondary HA
    and then i have on a second screen MN-ha spi and MM-AAA spi
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    ok, when i do this... i dont have any of the screens you reference...
    i have user/pass
    ha pass
    primary/secondary HA
    and then i have on a second screen MN-ha spi and MM-AAA spi
    When you dial ##DATA#, the data screen comes up. You will need to either press the Menu button, and select Browser from the options list, or tap on the Data tab at the top left of the screen and then from the options list tap or select "Browser". That will bring up the screen that I was referring to.

-mike
    If you would bother to search or look at my website there is a way to do this without the MSL code... There is a back door...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    If you would bother to search or look at my website there is a way to do this without the MSL code... There is a back door...
    Been there, tried that, didn't work. Unfortunately, that trick does not provide access to the proxy settings for Blazer. (allows to change the HA as opposed to the NGG). I wish that worked though, would've been easier than getting the MSL from Sprint.

By the way, it was your site from where I got a modified ROM +DUN -Real -Sprint Crap. I really appreciate your skills.

-mike
    Seriously, there is a difference? Let me go play some more, I could have sworn I got to the ngg...
    OK.. Got my MSL by telling the Vision tech that I had been having troubles browsing web sites and was told by another tech to check the IP settings, which I need to do again, and does he have the MSL handy?

This solves one major problem, and for good reason - I can now access an intranet site while using the Mergic VPN. Obviously, I couldn't before.

What you lose, however, is access to Sprint's Vision website and all it's content (such as CNN, which I will miss dearly...) How about someone writing a web browser that will allow per-bookmark proxies?

As for speed, I can't tell at the moment since I've got a cruddy signal here at home. However, the "Sending" delay doesn't seem to be reduced at the moment.

Good sleuthing, Shadow.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
  9.    #9  
    You're right, Joe - Vision's home page does not work if you remove the NGG servers. However, in my case that's a non issue, seeing how I never use that site. As far as CNN is concerned, you can try to go to CNN.com directly, but I guess Vision had some sort of digest, right?

Cheers,
    Mike
    Vision has the mobile version of CNN that used to be publicly available and is no longer.

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Well, there are only 6 digits in the MSL code. Maybe someone can make a simple program to discover the MSL through trial and error approach. There are only 1 million combinations which shouldn't take long to crack with a script that tries codes 000000 to 999999. If you enter the wrong code, it just say's "The lock code is invalid" and lets you try again.
    Last edited by nswenson; 12/26/2004 at 12:19 PM.
    Isn't knowing your MSL code a good thing?
    It would be better if someone discovered the algorithm used to calculate the MSL from the ESN and wrote a quick app to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    It would be better if someone discovered the algorithm used to calculate the MSL from the ESN and wrote a quick app to tell you.
    Believe me, I've been working on it for over a year! But the algorithm seems quite secure (leaves no evidence of how it's done...)
    I tried Shadowmite's instructions from his website, and I never found an opportunity to enter the MSL, I could "unlock" the first screen with the name and password, but the second two with the Primary and Secondary HA and the MN whatsits remained locked with no option to unlock.

I did get to an "enter the MSL" screen following the above directions, but the original author is right, Shadow's six zeros do not work.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    Quote Originally Posted by markshelby
    I tried Shadowmite's instructions from his website, and I never found an opportunity to enter the MSL, I could "unlock" the first screen with the name and password, but the second two with the Primary and Secondary HA and the MN whatsits remained locked with no option to unlock.

I did get to an "enter the MSL" screen following the above directions, but the original author is right, Shadow's six zeros do not work.
    From that second screen you have to goto menu->modify... But the original author of this thread is right, that's the HA only... Not the gateway, so it won't work like I thought. I'll update my website.

On the Treo 600 it was possible to modify the activation program to bypass the MSL routines. But on the 650 it appears a little harder. I'll keep working on a way to do it...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Believe me, I've been working on it for over a year! But the algorithm seems quite secure (leaves no evidence of how it's done...)

Well, it would seem that someone could tear apart the Treo's ROM and find the algorithm, no? The Treo has to calculate the MSL, doesn't it?

<<hint, hint>>

Afterthought - "leaves no trace" - possibly MD5 or SHA-1 hashed?

I used Shadowmite's fix for my Blazer browser and saw a SIGNIFICANT speed improvement. I realize this is just HA, but it's faster. I look forward to going further as need arises.

BTW, as a "newbie", I see people referencing coded entries on their devices (##DATA#). How do you enter these? When I'm in the phone app I can't enter any text, just numbers. ?
    KitMoni
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    Well, it would seem that someone could tear apart the Treo's ROM and find the algorithm, no? The Treo has to calculate the MSL, doesn't it?

<<hint, hint>>

Afterthought - "leaves no trace" - possibly MD5 or SHA-1 hashed?
    The MSL is assigned to each phone, not calculated.
    If that were the case, and what I have seen on the topic contradicts this, it would need to be stored somewhere, and, thus, retrieveable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast