Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    PalmOne even discusses a free MP3->AMR conversion app we could use.
    tried d/l the file but got a CRC check error.

Can anyone tell me where is another site that has this software

thanks
    use nokia's multimedia converter @ forum.nokia.com

pete
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Just as an followup to this, the Sprint 1.12 firmware update (along with Dr.Wowe's replacement file to recover the "New" button to record your own sounds)

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=88640
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...8&postcount=14

...now make this possible!

I am able to record customized sounds on the fly, and assign those sounds to people in my speed dial list.

(So for example when my wife calls, a picture of her shows up and the Treo says "Hey honey, it's me calling" in her voice. I plan to do that with my other friends who call frequently.)

Pretty cool, and it's about time. Shoulda worked this way from the start.

Figures that Sprint would disable/osbcure the "record new sound" button right when Palm fixes this bug... with both issues taken care of though it's a fun new feature to enjoy.
    Cool, now if he could get it for us non Sprint phone users. I have the latest update 1.13 on my ROW phone and it still does not play the customized voice recorded tones, only the default MIDI files on board, on the speed dailer/favorites. I have my fingers crossed that he knows what he did. Count yourself amongst the lucky ones if he doesn't know what he did for you Sprint guys.
    Last edited by DrFalken; 07/14/2005 at 09:11 AM.
    Thanks to Fofer for consolidating Dr. Wowe's and sh9854's hard work. You guys rock!
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    I'm soooo jealous,,,, I loved the thought of this feature and was very disappointed to find out it wasn't something I was doing wrong.
    I wonder if there will ever be a work around for us Cingular users?
    With my 600 the photo displayed when a pal called was larger, the photo filled the screen. Now, my 650 has a photo only 1" x 1", anyone know how to adjust this??
    I was told by MANY people that I could use WAV/MP3 files on the Treo WITHOUT THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE. Now I see they lied to me. Anyone have a link to that MP3->AMR converter, and does it work for custom ringtones?

EDIT: Found the app, it was higher on the page than the link listed here showed. Installed the app. Converting a high quality WAV file into AMR produced a PATHETIC sounding file.

I'm really not happy with how Palm botched this software.
    Last edited by StarmanTHX; 07/22/2005 at 07:25 AM.
    So now WAV/AMR files will work as personalized ringtones without any 3rd party software?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey
    So now WAV/AMR files will work as personalized ringtones without any 3rd party software?
    AMR files always have worked. They don't sound great (very low fi, and quiet) but they do in fact work. Without 3rd party software needed to activate them.

You can record directly on the Treo (although a recent Sprint update removed the button!) or you can use the Nokia converter tool discussed above to export WAV/MP3s as AMR's.

Native WAV and MP3 still require third party software.

The recent change (from a Sprint update as well as a hack to re-add back in a sound button) allows us to record AMR's on the fly on the Treo itself, and assign them as customized ring tones for each speed-dialer.
    Last edited by Fofer; 08/08/2005 at 11:28 AM.
    oh ok cool.... how loud are AMRs on the loudest volume setting?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    oh ok cool.... how loud are AMRs on the loudest volume setting?
    "not very"

Even with VolumeCare installed, I'm finding the answer is "not loud enough."

The built in sounds on the other hand are very loud and clear.

But when I record friends' voices and link them to their speed-dial (so for example it will say "hey buddy, it's me, keith calling!" when Keith calls) the ring is sorta quiet. I wouldn't hear it in a crowded, loud room for example. Or in the car with the top down or if the radio is blaring.

Oh well, I'm still keeping it this way because it's fun.
    So it seems that the only way to have loud MP3 ringtones is with Ringo or some 3rd party software?
    Quote Originally Posted by StarmanTHX
    I was told by MANY people that I could use WAV/MP3 files on the Treo WITHOUT THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE. Now I see they lied to me. Anyone have a link to that MP3->AMR converter, and does it work for custom ringtones?.
    You can use .WAV files for ringtones without 3rd party software. At least on my cingular branded phone you can. You need to email the wav file to yourself. Tap on the Icon of the file (not the name) in versamail. Select "Open with..." (or similar sounding option). Then select the "Sounds" program. This will import it into your sounds menu.
    Scyber, Can you use them like the MIDI files for individual contacts on your speed dails? The AMR tones will not allow you to do that. If so that would be very cool!!
    Nope, doesn't work either. It defaults to the regular ringtone. I was originally just addressing the statement of not being able to use WAV files at all w/o 3rd party software.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scyber
    Nope, doesn't work either. It defaults to the regular ringtone. I was originally just addressing the statement of not being able to use WAV files at all w/o 3rd party software.
    Hmm. Now I'm wondering if this is a carrier issue, because I don't believe WAV files play natively on the Sprint Treo 650.

More info on this subject here:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C6D23191A

http://www.nonliteral.com/articles/m...o-650/#more-74

I will however add, that with the latest Sprint ROM update, the assignment of customized ring tones to specific callers NOW DOES, in fact, work as it should.
    Did you try the wav file instructions I gave up above (emailing it to yourself in versamail)? I did this with the CTU (from the show 24) wav ringtone. Works fine for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by scyber
    You can use .WAV files for ringtones without 3rd party software. At least on my cingular branded phone you can. You need to email the wav file to yourself. Tap on the Icon of the file (not the name) in versamail. Select "Open with..." (or similar sounding option). Then select the "Sounds" program. This will import it into your sounds menu.
    How loud is the WAV file for you when played from the Treo? As you can see I'm trying to avoid purchasing any 3rd party software
    How loud is the WAV file for you when played from the Treo? As you can see I'm trying to avoid purchasing any 3rd party software

It seems just as loud as the regular ringtones.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12