1.    #1  
    can anyone tell me how set my 650 up so that it will synch when I enter the room?
    There isn't (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $any$ $way$ $to$ $do$ $that$ $now$ - $and$ $I$ $submit$ $that$ $it$ $might$ $not$ $be$ $a$ $good$ $idea$. $If$ $you$ $were$ $to$ $walk$ $within$ $range$ $and$ $the$ $hotsync$ $started$, $then$ $you$ $walked$ $out$ $of$ $range$, $the$ $hotsync$ $would$ $fail$ - $and$ $what$ $would$ $that$ $mean$ $for$ $your$ $data$? $Second$ - $interrupt$ $a$ $hotsync$ $sometime$ ($by$ $unplugging$ $the$ $sync$ $cable$, $say$) $and$ $notice$ $how$ $long$ $your$ $phone$ $and$ $PC$ $will$ $be$ $tied$ $up$ $waiting$ $for$ $the$ $other$ $side$ $to$ $timeout$. $Now$ $imagine$ $walking$ $back$ $and$ $forth$ $within$ $range$ $and$ $out$ $of$ $range$ ($say$ $in$ $your$ $house$ $going$ $from$ $the$ $TV$ $to$ $the$ $bathroom$ $to$ $the$ $kitchen$, $etc$..).

I've thought about this a little bit and can't think of a foolproof way to ensure that you'll be in range during a full hotsync - and don't want to risk lots of interrupted attempts - that just feels like a good way to lose data.

Now, if someone could write an app that would only hotsync something quick - say, contacts and calendar only? That might have potential. YMMV, though. My calendar takes a long time to sync.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiselmonkey99
    can anyone tell me how set my 650 up so that it will synch when I enter the room?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $Treo$'$s$ $Bluetooth$ $profile$ $doesn$'$t$ $support$ &$quot$;$proximity$ $detection$&$quot$; $so$ $this$ $ain$'$t$ $happening$ $anytime$ $soon$.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    Now, if someone could write an app that would only hotsync something quick - say, contacts and calendar only? That might have potential. YMMV, though. My calendar takes a long time to sync.
    At least on a Mac, both Palm's HotSync Manager as well as MarkSpace's Missing Sync let me choose which conduits to sync. So if I were in a rush I could, for example, just choose Address & Datebook and omit Memos, Backup, Install, Vindigo, AvantGo (MAL Conduit), etc.

Its been a while since I last sync'ed on a PC, but I'm pretty sure I could activate/deactivate individual conduits on a per-sync basis there too...
    Yeah, but I'd want something more along the lines of a profile for a BT hotsync vs. a cable hotsync. For example, if I'm in the office and people add items to my calendar, I'd like to get those changes when I BT hotsync, which would be every time I sit down. I don't need to hotsync my contacts every time because they don't change as often. However, I want calendar-only sync to happen everytime without having to configure it each time - and without affecting the full cable hotsync.

If someone could do that.... That would be worth something.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Have you tried CradleCare? It does autoamted, scheduled HotSync'ing via BlueTooth. It also does automated and scheduled phone forwarding, screen control and SD card management.

You can find the programs in my developer's area:

GoTreo Software

Improvements are coming in the near future to extend BT's capabilities.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    Yeah, but I'd want something more along the lines of a profile for a BT hotsync vs. a cable hotsync. For example, if I'm in the office and people add items to my calendar, I'd like to get those changes when I BT hotsync, which would be every time I sit down. I don't need to hotsync my contacts every time because they don't change as often. However, I want calendar-only sync to happen everytime without having to configure it each time - and without affecting the full cable hotsync.

If someone could do that.... That would be worth something.
    Ah, yes, now I see. That would be cool. Interestingly enough, the HotSync app on the Palm itself has preferences for "Modem Sync" that allows you to denote which apps to sync when connecting remotely, via modem (which is typically slow.) It sure would be cool to see an update to the HotSync app that has similar preference for Bluetooth sync vs. USB sync.