Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hi. I had a 600. I now have a 650. I love the better camera and ability to send pix or video via SMS...BUT!!....

When viewing SMS messages on my 600, I could read one, then in bottom right corner I could go to Previous or Next using the arrows (left and right). Now the 650 does not have those arrows. Am I missing something or do I have to use a 3rd party program to do the same thing? (and if so, which program?).

Also, when I used to "purge" all of my SMS messages, it would leave the "chats" those SMS messages that I had with other treo (or any) SMS users. Now with the 650 it really does purge ALL...everything! Is there a way to just purge the SMS messages like the 600 and not the chats?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken Arcia - deaf Treo user
    And if anyone can answer on those questions...
    Also...is there anyway to restore to the 650 the SMS chats I had saved from my 600???
    Not sure about restoring messages from your old 600, but the SMS messages work similar, but the old messages are shown above where you type almost as if you are in a chat room. I.E.

ME: I want steak for dinner
    WIFE: Good, what kind are you going to cook
    ME: Look here *&%$#, you will do the cooking and I want it medium well
    WIFE: Your joking right?
    ME: Of course honey, I love you!

It should turn out something like this,,, sorry about the content it is just an example.
    In general, love the new T650 SMS app, especially the day/time stamp. Other things I can't figure out:

+The "[insert name here] chat thread" subject header is eliminated and the first text message that resides in that same thread becomes the subject header. As far as I know, there is no way to edit that feature.

+Is there a separate T650 SMS app that acts like a great overlay to the OEM T650 SMS app?

+Still no way to import T600 sms files to T650?

+ can't seem to find the "favorites" section in the SMS app, as mentioned in the Tips section of the SMS app.

+Lastly, do you think the files for the T650 app will be transferable to the latest-next gen T650 device (5.4 OS to 6.1 OS)? whenever that may be?
    ###
    this thread looks like its gone stale... whats up! I send right around 2000 text messages every month and its really important to me... What 3rd party apps are out there??? also, is it possible to add the timestamp back on for messages i saw yesterday?? that would be really nice
    example:
    heather (1/11): how's it going?
    me (1/11): fine u?
    heather (1/11): i'm sick
    me (12:11 am): oh that sucks
    heather (12:13 am): yea that does suck

it would be really nice to flip back thru my old messages and see what time they were sent, the old treo did it.. any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by broberob
    ... is it possible to add the timestamp back on for messages i saw yesterday..
    Select preferences from the Options menu in the SMS app, select the Chat tab, tick 'Show timestamps in chats'
    ANd if you want to purge old messages when you force everything into a "chat", set it to NEVER show chats, run purge, then set it back to chat.

2000 sms a month? lolz r u crz
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Thanks khaytsus that is what I was looking for also.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlleyCat
    Select preferences from the Options menu in the SMS app, select the Chat tab, tick 'Show timestamps in chats'
    Cool. How the heck did I miss that??
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    P.S. it does suck to be sick.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    so there are no "left" and "right" arrows in the sms app. you can't flip to the next message or to the previous one. there are no third party apps that will allow you to do this.

I think THIS sucks! why did palm get rid of this little feature?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    If you have more than 1 chat thread in your inbox, i believe (there is on my 650) a pull-down on the top of the screen to the right of where you tap to bring up the menu, and that pull-down will allow you to go from thread to thread without having to go back to the inbox screen. is this what people wanted in lieu of an ability to go left and right to go between chats?
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    so there are no "left" and "right" arrows in the sms app. you can't flip to the next message or to the previous one. there are no third party apps that will allow you to do this.

I think THIS sucks! why did palm get rid of this little feature?
    Change the prefs to "Create chats from messages: Always" and stop your whining. It's already mentioned once in this very thread.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "stop my whining?" riiight. you know what, I did this. changing to that setting will allow you to scroll from within that chat message through SOME but not all of the messages received in the inbox. its still nowhere near as smooth as treo 600 messaging. I'm pointing out THAT basic fact, not whining. you didn't have to jockey around in preference settings just to achieve something that should be inherent in the application itself..
    aol alerts are received as chat messages, so aol IM'S are included, but yahoo alerts aren't converted into chat messages therefore they don't seem to be screened in the same way - you still have to leave the chat and return to the inbox to read through them.

hey, if you think this is whining, whatever. sms used to be very easy and straightforward on the 600.
    they should have kept it nice and smooth - just how it was. I'm only pointing that out. don't be so touchy.

I appreciate the help from everyone else in this thread, sincerely. I'd like to know if this setting change has completely fixed all of your problems, or if some are still experiencing similar issues as well.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by AlleyCat
    ok but notice my original thread

Quote Originally Posted by broberob
    this thread looks like its gone stale... whats up! I send right around 2000 text messages every month and its really important to me... What 3rd party apps are out there??? also, is it possible to add the timestamp back on for messages i saw yesterday?? that would be really nice
    example:
    heather (1/11): how's it going?
    me (1/11): fine u?
    heather (1/11): i'm sick
    me (12:11 am): oh that sucks
    heather (12:13 am): yea that does suck

it would be really nice to flip back thru my old messages and see what time they were sent, the old treo did it.. any suggestions?

what im looking for is to view the time for a message i posted any day other than today, not just the date.. the 600 showed the time for old posts
    no replies? I'm just looking to get something back that was already there on the 600...