1.    #1  
    OK, here's a hack I'd like. I have the side button set to launch the included Voice Dial program. The problem is that in order to get the phone to respond to the side button, I have to wake it up with the power button, press the center button to disable the keyguard, and then press and hold the side button to lauch the voice dialer.

Is there any way that a hack could be written so that holding the side button will wake up the phone, disabling or ignoring the keyguard, and then launch the defined program?

-Brian
    This would rock. As some have mentioned, you could use another app. like TapDial and use it to call Sprint voice command. Since this would work using a BlueTooth headset!!!
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    OK, here's a hack I'd like. I have the side button set to launch the included Voice Dial program. The problem is that in order to get the phone to respond to the side button, I have to wake it up with the power button, press the center button to disable the keyguard, and then press and hold the side button to lauch the voice dialer.

Is there any way that a hack could be written so that holding the side button will wake up the phone, disabling or ignoring the keyguard, and then launch the defined program?

-Brian
    I've got VoiceDial ( * ) asigned to my mail hard button and when the phone is "Asleep" and I press that button it goes right to VoiceDial ( * )
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sleibow
    I've got VoiceDial ( * ) asigned to my mail hard button and when the phone is "Asleep" and I press that button it goes right to VoiceDial ( * )
    That is true, but the front hard buttons that already wake the phone up can't be accessed while it's in my pocket. The side button can, but it doesn't wake the phone up. If someone could hack the side button to wake the phone up (ideally just on a press and hold), that would be perfect.

-Brian
    That is true, but the front hard buttons that already wake the phone up can't be accessed while it's in my pocket. The side button can, but it doesn't wake the phone up. If someone could hack the side button to wake the phone up (ideally just on a press and hold), that would be perfect.

-Brian
    I would hope that it is doable. The sequence for press and hold on side button would be "wake-up" and then "voice dial." Can you hack one key 'event" to do a sequence of things?
    I could have swore that TreoButler allowed assigning the side button for certain functions (such as phone "wake-up")? I tried to find this option in TreoButler but couldn't find it.

There's got to be an app out there that does this.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Yeah, this is one that should have been enabled by palmOne. In addition, the "Home" button should allow wakeup as well. It's so inconvenient having to press power AND THEN get to Voice Dial (side button) or the Launcher (Home). I've put this request to the attention of both shadowmite and Jeff Gibson but no takers so far.

Regarding Butler, it does allow the Side Key to "select" items but still does not allow it to "wake up" the 650.

Anybody out there know whether this can be done?
    when i'm using a WIRED headset with my treo 650 and voicedial. holding down the button on my headset does activate voice dial. even when it is in sleep mode. i will admit that the memory issue has resulted in a lag on occassion from activation to dialing, but it works for me. i just have voice dial activate and the side. so i dunno... works for me.

-keats
  9.    #9  
    Jeff indicated he may work on this at some point, but he wants to get ScheduleCare done first.
    I would like to add onto this. Currently you can use the buttons to control the MP3 player (I am using real). However when the phone does its sleep thing you can not control it. I would like to be be able to control the volume and side button to forward, rev, volume and pause the song.
    Jeff indicated he may work on this at some point, but he wants to get ScheduleCare done first.
    Yes I will look into it but I do not believe that the side button has the ability to control powerup. I can certainly make *any* button power off the unit. I am believe more in mapping out all but one of the hard buttons and then disabling keyguard. This gives me one button power on.

I will look into this in about a month.
  12.    #12  
    So you don't think that there's any way to get the side button to turn on the phone? It's that one in particular that I'd like. The idea is that I could leave it in my case, in my pocket, and do a press-and-hold on the side button to launch a TapDial to voice command.

-Brian
    While I believe that PalmOS won't wake up from any button pushes other than the ones physically wired for it, one might be able to work a cheat by doing something similar to ptunes or screen care where an application runs actively with the screen completely dark.

Then you could trap all button presses. Sadly, I suspect that this would be a significant drain on battery life. (Not as bad as having the radio always on, but still...)
    I have the same request. Need to be able to wake up the Treo and launch a program (clock) with 1 press of the side button or the 5-way pad. Has anyone found a solution yet?
    Any update on this yet?

I suspect it's impossible (without some sort of "always on" battery drain, anyway), but it would be great if the side button could wake up the Treo just for the reason that bkrodgers suggests: to activate voice dialing while using a bluetooth headset with the Treo in a pocket, a case, or (as in my case [no pun intended]) a holster.

This would potentially salvage at last bluetooth voice dialing, and thereby make the Treo 650 a much more convenient and much safer phone to use in the car, e.g.
    Last edited by JohnRylander; 07/23/2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typos
    I wonder if this is something Pocket Tunes or other background software could include at some point ...? At least when said software is actively running in the background (playing music, e.g.; though that would be a sad limitation)?