Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    You won't believe me, but will you believe the other half dozen who just replicated.
    I believe that it is an issue, but I don't believe that you personally have replicated it on "15 different 650s." Why didn't you stop at 10? Still needed confirmation? And why not continue replicating on 30 of them? And where did you have access to 15 Treos to fiddle with, anyway?

Regardless, PalmOne needs to fix this, along with a slew of other boneheaded bugs. So, is there an official channel for users to submit bugs? (Instead of circle-jerking in here?)
  2.    #22  
    I have over 300 Treos in my company, over 40 of which are 650s. Lest you doubt me further, I suggest you read my old posts and you will see that I didn't just make it up.

I have access to a lot of Treos, and test a lot of thing. My company depends on technology like Treos, and they need to work.

So I don't consider it a circle jerk (but hey, whatever turns you on), but rather business.

Again, you need to make the second click almost immediately, not 2 seconds or even on second later.

There is no real bug channel....even for those of us with over a quarter million invested in the technology.

And there are rarely fixes to Treos issued...one per model is the standard they operate under.
    I'll take for granted you can make this crash, although I don't believe it's 100% consistent.

I'll still ask, why does this matter? Aside from monkey testing (smashing keys to see what happens), why is this relevant? This isn't a sequence someone would normally do.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I'll take for granted you can make this crash, although I don't believe it's 100% consistent.

I'll still ask, why does this matter? Aside from monkey testing (smashing keys to see what happens), why is this relevant? This isn't a sequence someone would normally do.
    Ya what he said!!!! Also I hit the bookmark and hit the center again right after and nothing happened. Return all 40 of your treos and get new ones.
    Plus why would you even hit the center button right after you see it sending anyhow? there is no point!.
    I bet if you throw your treo in the toilet it wont work after. Is that a bug also. This was a dumb thread and should be removed.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I have tried to replicate this now quite a few times... mashing the center button immediately a 2nd time... and I still can't get it to crash. And I am trying HARD! So it's certainly not consistent and 100% reproducible on all 650's, to say the least.

But sure, even if it's happening to 10% of the customers, it should be fixed.
    And I apologize for questioning your credentials... it's just that if I were in an IT department overseeing the deployment of 300+ Treos, representing a $250k+ investment in the technology, I would be sure to have a direct line to PalmOne engineers so I could voice my gripes. Airing grievances in here, in a hidden online thread that no one at PalmOne is ever likely to see, seems like a waste of time. Certainly not an effective use of your valuable business time! Hence the phrase, "circle jerk."

The other thing you don't seem to realize....YOU CAN USE THIS TO HARD RESET SOMEONES PALM WITH REMOVING THE BATTERY.

(assuming you know to hold down the power button).

The pranksterism is already afoot...
    Assuming the "prankster" has access to the Treo, they could hard reset it with the stylus too. I'm more concerned about general stability for users than I am for the minute chance a "prankster" might take advantage of some strange reset bug.

As for the "pranksterism" that is "already afoot?" I'd like to hear one story of one person who's been hit by a "prank" like this.

mikec, don't get me wrong, I have some grievances with the Treo 650 as well. For every 3 great features there seems to be 1 major and annoying oversight. I'd really like to see the most egregious ones addressed, and quickly.

But it just seems like you're trying to rile up the troops by overblowing this one bug.

"Crash your 650 with two clicks!"
    "The pranksterism is already afoot!"

If this really was business, I'd suggest you put your money where your mouth is, compile a list of real bugs affecting your purchase, and demand to speak to a business customer rep at PalmOne. I assure you, with 300+ registered devices, you will get to speak to someone who can (potentially) make a difference. Here's a good thread to reference in compiling that list:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...6&page=1&pp=20

Your company should accept no less, and shouldn't get blown off.
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/25/2004 at 02:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michael82574
    Ya what he said!!!! Also I hit the bookmark and hit the center again right after and nothing happened. Return all 40 of your treos and get new ones.
    Plus why would you even hit the center button right after you see it sending anyhow? there is no point!.
    I bet if you throw your treo in the toilet it wont work after. Is that a bug also. This was a dumb thread and should be removed.
    Actually, he said his company has 300 of them, not 40.

But I do believe you are missing the point. The fact is, the Treo 650 isn't always a speed demon (especially in Blazer.) And sometimes you click a button, don't get an immediate response, and so you click it again. In that scenario -- if your Treo was one of the ones that had this bug -- you'd crash.

Indeed, I don't want to have to use my Treo cautiously, afraid that one extra button click might cause me to crash. This is a top-tier device costing beaucoup bucks and representing a strong commitment from me to PalmOne and Sprint. I'd expect a rock-solid device that works stably under "standard" conditions.

Luckily my Treo doesn't crash with strange or extraneous button clicks. If it did, I'd be as pissed as mikec! But I do think I'd be a bit more constructive, and less "Chicken Little," with my reporting of the bug.
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/25/2004 at 01:59 PM.
    Crashed here.. total reset. Also wanted to add that this key sequence isn't so outrageous like some are making it out to be. I often double press buttons by accident since theyre so small. It's not like he said the Treo crashes after pressing a>q>center>up>spacebar.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    Crashed here.. total reset. Also wanted to add that this key sequence isn't so outrageous like some are making it out to be. I often double press buttons by accident since theyre so small. It's not like he said the Treo crashes after pressing a>q>center>up>spacebar.
    I initially gave mikec a hard time about this, but I do agree with Nerd. I'd hardly call double-clicking a button "monkey mashing."
  9.    #29  
    It works a little differently than you think...

If I bought 300 Tungstens, I could have Palm pay some attention (at least before the sale)...but for Treos, support goes through Sprint, so Palm could care less. Doesn't matter if you have 5,000 units...the carrier is the customer, not the end user.

Bottom line is this does happen, (double click), and it's a problem.
    Palm does not have have a good bug track and fix system. I have spoken extensively with them. Posting on this forum is to share experience info, not get PalmOne to fix something.

MS is really pushing their (partner) devices...we have some in house but they are in the minority. But 2005 may be different. They are paying us a visit in Jan.
    I have over 300 Treos in my company, over 40 of which are 650s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Actually, he said his company has 300 of them, not 40.
    the way i read that is he has only 40 treo 650s hes not complaining about the other 240 treo 600s...
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    It works a little differently than you think...

If I bought 300 Tungstens, I could have Palm pay some attention (at least before the sale)...but for Treos, support goes through Sprint, so Palm could care less. Doesn't matter if you have 5,000 units...the carrier is the customer, not the end user.

I hear ya mikec. While I'm enjoying the Treo 650, I admit I am also annoyed by some glaring bugs and omissions. I can imagine how frustrating it would be had I made an even larger investment. And not having an official avenue to report bugs and get immediate engineering response would drive me batty.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Crashed on mine too.. went to bookmarks. Selected one and hit the center button twice (had to do it twice or it wouldn't reset).. and poof.

Error Log.. " A reset was caused on 12/25/04 at 3:05pm while running "Web": Fatal Exception.
  13.    #33  
    Maybe I should do a poll on this....

Also, to clarify, over 300 Treos, likely to be 400 by end of Q1 2005.
    About 40 650s, 250 600s, and 50 300s.

Had plenty of issues with the 600s...40% failure rate.

About 25 ppc devices, but growing.

Yes, it is frustrating, but it's the best converged device out there (excluding the numerous bugs).
    But I think that will change in '05.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    crashed for me too.... I really like the upgreades on this device but these little bug snafus definetely show this was released a bit early. Mine is going back anyway once a gsm version is available. This sprint nextel thing is a disaster waiting to happen..... as a byproduct, perhaps the gsm version will have a but more of the software flushed out.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12