1.    #1  
    I have been lurking here for several months and I read all the threads in this section all day long.

I finally took the plunge today and installed the Shadowmite ROM update on my 650 and the sound difference is 100% better than what I previously had. I can hear better and those I call can hear me now.

My wife has a 650 as well. I have not updated her 650 yet but when she just called me on her 650 from work -- where I could never really hear her and she could never hear me -- we finally really were able to talk like human beings on these phones. We purchased both 650s from Sprint in NYC and they were perfect out of the box.

It was interesting, though, that at another store in Jersey we could not purchase a 650 even though they had 17 in stock. The Sprint activation screen would not accept the serial numbers. They scanned all 17 of the 650s in stock and they could not get the system to accept one of them! The system reported the 650's as "inactive." Talking with a store manager later I was told "the entire batch" was being sent back as "bad." It is obvious there are -- or were -- 650's out there that were identified, killed in the system, and sent back (recalled?).

We then buzzed into Manhattan and were able to grab two 650s on the same day Jersey could not sell us even one. These 650's have been perfect: No stuck pixels; no battery rattling; the keyboards are evenly lighted; SMS works killer out-of-the-box both ways.

The 650 sound wasn't that bad -- no worse that VZW's actually -- but today I decided to see what would happen if I flashed the new ROM and I was shocked at the difference in finally having "pin drop" clarity.

I came to Sprint from a decade with VZW and I can tell you, at least in Northern New Jersey, Sprint beats the pants off VZW in quality, price and building penetration. I wish I leapt years ago.

I also seem to see the signal strength meter in Zlauncher more active with the ROM update. Is anyone else seeing that? Before the bars were locked in full. Now at least they rise and fall.
    I'd hold off on flashing your wife's Treo with the hacked roms. At the moment, it appears that the hacked rom makes the phone incompatible with ROM updates from Palm, even after restoring the original ROM setup. People with the hacked ROM have been unable to install the Car Hands Free patch as delivered from Palm. Hopefully Shadowmite can figure out a solution for this.

Nate
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson
    I'd hold off on flashing your wife's Treo with the hacked roms. At the moment, it appears that the hacked rom makes the phone incompatible with ROM updates from Palm, even after restoring the original ROM setup. People with the hacked ROM have been unable to install the Car Hands Free patch as delivered from Palm. Hopefully Shadowmite can figure out a solution for this.

Nate
    Not true. Search next time. Shadowmite fixed the P1 carkit update so that it works with flashed ROMs.
    had b*tch getting 1st hot synch...4 hours later w/no help from sprint or P1,got it all setup.
    no issues yet & people say they hear me fine... was the sound problem on all phones or just some?
  5.    #5  
    Both our 650's are newly flashed and working fine. If they have to stay this way forever with no further updates because of technical issues, that's okay with us. This 650 replaces my laptop during the day. I can do everything with it in a form factor that fits in my pocket. Incredible!
    Two issues:

1. Can this flash update be done with all of your programs you have already installed? Or do you have to go back to square one?

2. Stay this way forever? Hmmm... What if Palm comes out with an update which makes the 650 compatible with EVDO? The screamingly fast Wireless Internet? Just a thought.

I would be interested in any comments about these two points before I commit to it.
    Rees
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    Not true. Search next time. Shadowmite fixed the P1 carkit update so that it works with flashed ROMs.
    You need to read more carefully. I said "as delivered from Palm". The patch must be hacked to be installed on the hacked rom phones. Future ROM upgrades may also require this technique unless shadowmite can figure out what is causing the problem.

Nate
  8.    #8  
    Hey ReesR I understand your concerns. I followed the advice here and used the latest beta of BackupMan and completely restored both 650s from a full backup and everything was completely copacetic! That was a relief. I also appreciate the other ROM updates that may be forthcoming. I consider devices like the 650 a yearly purchase even on a 2 year Sprint plan. There will always be something faster and better around the corner and if I have to pay extra to have a simpler life I'll do it.

I told myself I WOULD NOT do the update until Palm officially released it because I didn't want to mess with anything not officially supported. But the support here is extremely excellent and I had confidence if I had problems I could get help. I had no problems. The last straw was not being able to hear my wife. She works in NYC and when you're on the street with all that background noise it was just impossible to hear her. The workaround we had wastosayeverysentenceinonelongthing because pausing between words is what makes the background noise override the next few words. It worked a bit but was not natural. With the ROM upgrade we can speak normally again without havingtospeakeverythingallatonce. Your mileage may vary. SMILE!