1.    #1  
    I think this is a new topic... I've searched. To my dismay, I discovered after two weeks of using my Treo 650, that it is "picking up" some incoming calls -- without so much as a ring, or any action/awareness on my part! So, the incoming caller can then "listen in" if they choose, to whatever conversation I'm having - anything the Treo Mic picks up. How bout' *that* for a problem?!

I am pretty sure this is due to the fact that I'm carrying my T650 in a fairly snug, belt-clip style "Nutshell" case. However, I used a Treo 600 in the same case for some time, without this problem occuring. And from studying the manual, it appears that on the 650, only the "answer" key, or the 5-way, will answer a call (is that correct?). When I first became aware of this problem, I disabled the screen answer for incoming calls, in Apps/Prefs/KeyGuard (checked "Disable touchscreen when incoming calls received"). And the problem still occurs.

I tried installing TreoGuard (an T600 add-on which has extensive phone key-locking features), but even with the Beta version which has been reported to work ok on T650, it is giving me resets during HotSync. Perhaps there is some other application that will do the job??

I was setting in a restaurant and a friend reached me... he had called me twice before and had been listening into my conversations! My Treo 650 was on my belt, but I was just setting there having dinner with friends; I hadn't been moving around.

Before becoming aware of this problem, I had been placing the 650 in the case facing my belt - thinking that woudl better protect the screen from occasional "bumps". Since then, I've been placing it screen facing outwards.

Obviously, I'll need to find a rock-solid, 100% fix for THIS problem! So... any ideas, insights, and suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I apparantly had this going on for 2 weeks before someone TOLD me about it... ha!
    Last edited by sbell22; 12/24/2004 at 02:38 PM.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    Ok, goto prefs->handsfree. Is auto answer on or off?!?
  3.    #3  
    Nice idea... i was hoping it would be on. But it's set to "disable".
    I have Bluetooth off, too.

Also, it doesn't answer when the Treo's out of it's case.

thanks for the help,
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    I've seen several problems associated with the holster case that make me think there's pressure being put on the sides of the case near the touch screen. That said, I guess it's possible that the pressure is causing the touch screen to simulate a physical press. What my theory doesn't explain is how/why would it cause the proper on-screen object to be pressed...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Mark,

I just ran an experiment... called my Treo from another phone. I wanted to test out what the Treo 650 manual says (e.g., see Pg. 52): that only the 5-way, or the green "Phone/Send" answer button will answer an incoming call.

*However*, my testing showed that is not correct! Even the SPACE BAR answers a call... just like on a Treo 600. So I'm thinking my problem is simply that in the tight leather Nutshell case (and many other brands, I'm sure) the T650's space bar is hitting the case. The "space bar" is probably already engaged (depressed) when the call comes in.... putting you into a "live Mic" mode with the incoming caller, without so much as a ring. I'll do some further testing to see what happens when you call it, with the space bar already depressed, etc.

What I need is something like TreoGuard... and enhanced KeyGuard application, but one that runs on the Treo 650, with no Hotsync (etc) problems. Maybe TreoGuard is going to be revised?
    steve bell

Quote Originally Posted by sbell22
    Also, it doesn't answer when the Treo's out of it's case.
    Sounds like you need a new case...

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  7.    #7  
    Yeah, probably true. But the reason I like the Nutshell case is, it holds the treo close, with the belt-clip (same for the belt-loop model). With that monstrocity that PalmOne sells, you have this huge clip that sticks the thing out half an inch off your belt. Also makes it not useful for running, etc. And the clip is a hassle to do/undo. With the Nutshell case, you hardly notice someone is packing a PDA... a similar effect to the very sleek (standard) Blackberry case. Also, with the Nutshell (especially with side eGrips) it is very easy to take the Treo in and out of it's case hundreds of times per day without ever looking down, or 'thinking' about it. But I have yet to find a Blackberry-esque / hard-plastic, tight-fitting case for the treo, that doesn't have one of the big/thick "clunker clips" on it, that make it stick out a half an inch. It's as if most the Treo case designers haven't actually tried to USE these things in daily life (not too surprising, but....)

Plus, even that crude PalmOne case would be vulnerable to this problem on occasion... since the plastic stretches tight over the keyboard... it doesn't take much tension to activate the space bar.

Any ideas on a really great alternative case? One that can't push the buttons!

Also, if TreoGuard were made to work without causing Hotsync resets on the Treo 650, that would be a 100% solution.
    Last edited by sbell22; 12/25/2004 at 12:53 AM.
    steve bell

I am having the same problems as you with the Nutshell case. Mine is so tight that I can turn the case upside down and shake it and the T650 will not come out. I have tried stretching the case, but to no avail. I have come to the same conclusion - time to buy a new case. While the quality of the nutshell case is good, I would not recommend it to anyone with a T650.

bill
    In searching the Treo 600 threads I discovered that someone had written a free .prc called "keepoff" which solves this problem by requiring you to touch the screen or push the 5-way before the phone can respond to the ring, thereby eliminating the case-pressure problem. Unfortunately, after downloading it I found that it doesn't work on the 650.
    If anyone could update the app it would solve our problem!
    I just thought I'd post a quick note to let you all know that I intend to update TreoGuard to be more 650 friendly. However, it should work as-is for the problem you're discussing in this thread. I'm also currently using it trouble- free on my 650. I've had some resets, but ##377 always reports another app as the culprit. Please let me know if your experience has been different.

Thanks,
    Geoff
    www.geakware.com or mobile.geakware.com - Software for your Treo 600/650.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks Geoff. Yesterday I had discovered that TreoGuard will indeed run on my T650 without problem.... apparently it was a config problem on my Hotsync desktop app, as I describe below (copied from a related thread):

I'll look forward to the additional T650 enhancements in TreoGuard, too!

thanks

---

FYI, on the fourth install of TreoGuard on my T650, I got it to work without encurring a reset every time I try to Hotsync.

I had noticed on one of the threads, the suggestion that I should right-click on the Hotsync icon, goto "Setup", "Network", and then make sure the box by my Hotsync ID was checked (turns out, if that's not checked it can result in resets during Hotsync). For some reason, I didn't encounter a problem this until I added TreoGuard (I had installed several other add-on apps previously, without a problem).

Anyway, fyi... TreoGuard has fixed this problem for me... so now, I can use the Nutshell case without the auto-answer problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed as I install more add-ons. Right now, I'm running KeySuite, SplashShopper, Chatter, Comet, 9.95 clock, PocketTunes, ZLauncher, TreoGuard and a 512SD with no stability or syncing problems. Happy camper! knock-knock.
    steve bell

12.    #12  
    Justleft.... suggest you give the Nutshell case some time, it will loosen up considerably! I have owned a dozen or more of them for various devices. With the Treo case, it takes a while but eventually it will slip in and out easily. Also you *can* successfully stretch it using a small block of wood (email support at Nutshell for details). And using the 'eGrips' that go on the side of your Treo make it much easier to get in/out; although I no longer need them, my Treo case has become loose enough.

The answering problem occurs, I believe, because the Treo's SPACE BAR is coming into contact with the case, near the bottom.
    steve bell

I have this problem, too. Probably the case pressing a button. The problem with disabling any of the keys is that if you need to type a note while you are on the phone, you can't use the keyboard if you have disabled the keys with TreoGuard. Any other ideas?
  14.    #14  
    Yep, that is the problem, allright! The 650 definitely has some button-pushes
    when you carry it in a leather belt-case. I've done plenty of testing and verified
    that's what's going on.

I have relented with the two function keys next to the 5-way, enabling them
    in TreoGuard. So that at least I can access my calendar and todo list while on
    the phone. But I really need to be able to use the 650's functions fully,
    once I have (purposefully!) answered an incoming call. Too bad
    there isn't some kind of hotkey sequence wherein you can manually re-enable the
    keyboard for the duration of that call, once you've answered it (Geoff? doable??)
    steve bell

Yep, that is the problem, allright! The 650 definitely has some button-pushes
    when you carry it in a leather belt-case. I've done plenty of testing and verified
    that's what's going on.

I have relented with the two function keys next to the 5-way, enabling them
    in TreoGuard. So that at least I can access my calendar and todo list while on
    the phone. But I really need to be able to use the 650's functions fully,
    once I have (purposefully!) answered an incoming call. Too bad
    there isn't some kind of hotkey sequence wherein you can manually re-enable the
    keyboard for the duration of that call, once you've answered it (Geoff? doable??)
    sbell22,

Which version of TreoGuard are you using? There were some previous versions that would keep the keys locked after the call was answered with a Bluetooth headset. However, that's been fixed in the latest release. I've also made a beta (1.7.02b) available that is more 650 friendly. You can download it by selecting 'Updates & Support' from the TreoGuard 'Options' menu. Either version should allow you to use any of your Treo's keys while on a call, unless the screen is off, in which case only the four application buttons are enabled.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Geoff
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for that info, Geoff. I'm running Treoguard v1.6.06 (registered),
    do i need to upgrade or do i just have it configured wrong?

On the "screen" config page, I have (only) "Turn screen off when call ends"
    checked. On the "Keys" page, I have checked the following 6 boxes:
    Space, Return, Backspace, Alphanumeric, 5-Way, and Calendar. I suspect it
    was the space bar that was "answering" the incoming calls. Perhaps the
    5-way, too... that's my #2 suspect since it also "protrudes".

Appreciate the help,
    steve bell

Any ideas on a really great alternative case? One that can't push the buttons!
    I reall like my vaja case. I have had no problems with it. They are a bit pricy but if you are interested check them out at www.vajacases.com
    Similar problem with my phone. Turns on by itself. Suggestion to Treo guard maybe you can enable 2 key sequence to enable or disable keyboard. Similar to KBlights.
    Thanks for that info, Geoff. I'm running Treoguard v1.6.06 (registered),
    do i need to upgrade or do i just have it configured wrong?

On the "screen" config page, I have (only) "Turn screen off when call ends"
    checked. On the "Keys" page, I have checked the following 6 boxes:
    Space, Return, Backspace, Alphanumeric, 5-Way, and Calendar. I suspect it
    was the space bar that was "answering" the incoming calls. Perhaps the
    5-way, too... that's my #2 suspect since it also "protrudes".

Appreciate the help,
    I'd recommend that you upgrade. All 1.x upgrades are free to registered users. I'd also recommend you try the beta, since it has enhancements specifically for the Treo 650. One enhancement that you might find helpful is the addition of a checkbox to disable the side button, which can silence the ringer if accidentally pressed. Either version should allow you to use the keyboard and other keys when on a call, so long as the screen is on.

If you're planning to use the keyboard to take notes (or whatever) while on a call, I'd also recommend that you check the 'Only off in Phone application' checkbox. This will keep the screen on when you're using an application other than the Phone application.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMember
    Similar problem with my phone. Turns on by itself. Suggestion to Treo guard maybe you can enable 2 key sequence to enable or disable keyboard. Similar to KBlights.
    SilentMember,

If you're having trouble with your Treo turning on while in your pocket or case, you might try my other product PocketProtector. PocketProtector prevents accidental key presses from turning on your Treo. This is slightly different than TreoGuard, which prevents accidental key presses from answering or ignoring calls, but not from turning on your Treo.

Let me know if you have any questions about PocketProtector.

Geoff