Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From the treo 650 review found here: http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/504-1.htm

One of the physical annoyances of the Treo 650 is that you have to remove the battery cover in order to get to the reset hole. By that time, you may as well pull the battery out and put it back in, which does the same thing as a soft reset. Would it have killed PalmOne to drill a hole in the battery cover? At least you can use the stylus tip to reset the 650 if you're too lazy to yank the battery, and that's probably the reason that the hole is not there, as it would have to be pretty big to allow the stylus tip to reach.
    PLEASE tell me why this is an annoyance again in your own words. the reader. because honestly I bet that this is a feature.

The reset button tucked in under the cover is a GOOD thing.

Scenario: You're at a local coffee shop. You name is called. someone notices your treo. picks it up and sees a tiny hole.
    As humans we like to poke around to see what happens if this is poked or pushed. so someone resets your device ... good thing? not really even though its just a reset. well what if by accident he was pushing the red button while hitting the reset? since the buttons are so small it could happen then a yes or no prompt comes up. if it was me i'd say yes not understanding the question. hard reset. all data is now lost.
    odds of this happening? slim but IT COULD happen!

in any case.

i am sick and tired of reviewers around the globle calling what the engineers make to be a feature an annoying thing.

Just because you dont like it it does NOT mean its hated by the world or the fan community.

overall its a decent review.
    it hammered the 650 a lot!!!
    may i please suggest you be in a good when you do a device review?
    "sometimes i cut myself to relieve the pain. tehehe." --Toot Braunstein-->drawn together
    Umm, your are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you leave your $650 phone sitting out and not watching it, you might need to re-think owning one in the first place.

I certainly HATE the reset button being hidden, and unless palm offers a battery door cover with hole pre-drilled, I'll be drilling it myself soon enough.
    I think it's neither. The reset button should be a nothing issue, like how no one cares how good the little pin hole override is when comparing CD/DVD drives. It should practically never be used.

I keep saying should because the fact that it is used enough for this to become a design issue is in itself a significant flaw.

I'm not even a Palm basher. I'm looking forward to getting my VC order. But all that reset buttons should have to do is be reasonably accessible. Inside or outside the battery cover both qualify. Not needing to find a paperclip is good as well. Actually using it is supposed to be a rare event.
    Last edited by GregV; 12/24/2004 at 12:26 AM.
    gregv, good one! I guess I can't remember that last time I didn't purposely have to use the resets...
    Well, according to P1 at the roadshow they are about usable simplicity.

Taking a battery cover off and the battery out just to reset it seems rather complicated to me.

no biggie though... but certainly not a feature.
  6.    #6  
    RWerksman.

Look where simplicity got the Mac.
    everytime i touch a mac it crashes.

simplicity = idiocy as far as i am concerned.
    "sometimes i cut myself to relieve the pain. tehehe." --Toot Braunstein-->drawn together
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Reminds me of the often paraphrased: "Make something that even an ***** can use... and only an ***** will want to use it".
    Quote Originally Posted by twocows
    RWerksman.

stop sticking your fingers in the hard drive then.......
    I got tired of having to remove 600 from case to reset..so I drilled hole in case... as I had to drill hole for mic anyway. I agree w/shadow about leaving $600 phone out. reseting would be the least that could happen.

btw...picking up my T650 today...ive got a lot of mixed feelings shadowmite..in light of everyones problems & finally have 600 how I want it. wished profiles, callfilter, treo on/off were compatible. ill have to pay again for upgrades 4 zlaun & pdanet as well as new accessories.. @ least its a trade....i do want bt, better cam, screen, & keyboard..
    just wish I felt better about the 650.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Umm, your are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you leave your $650 phone sitting out and not watching it, you might need to re-think owning one in the first place.

I certainly HATE the reset button being hidden, and unless palm offers a battery door cover with hole pre-drilled, I'll be drilling it myself soon enough.

GREAT IDEA!!! CAN U HACK THAT ONE!!

BETTER THAN WIFI HACK
    From the treo 650 review found here: http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/504-1.htm

PLEASE tell me why this is an annoyance again in your own words. the reader. because honestly I bet that this is a feature.

The reset button tucked in under the cover is a GOOD thing.

Scenario: You're at a local coffee shop. You name is called. someone notices your treo. picks it up and sees a tiny hole.
    As humans we like to poke around to see what happens if this is poked or pushed. so someone resets your device ... good thing? not really even though its just a reset. well what if by accident he was pushing the red button while hitting the reset? since the buttons are so small it could happen then a yes or no prompt comes up. if it was me i'd say yes not understanding the question. hard reset. all data is now lost.
    odds of this happening? slim but IT COULD happen!

in any case.

i am sick and tired of reviewers around the globle calling what the engineers make to be a feature an annoying thing.

Just because you dont like it it does NOT mean its hated by the world or the fan community.

overall its a decent review.
    it hammered the 650 a lot!!!
    may i please suggest you be in a good when you do a device review?

The farfetched idiocy of this post goes a long way to explaining the avatar.
    RWerksman.

Wow is this a stupid post.

First, if you are crashing a Mac every time you touch it, I suggest you stop using computers. Now.

Second, if you think that Apple is where it is right now becuase they are also geared to be usabily simple, your wrong.

Third, simplicity doesnt neccessarily equal idiocy -- your post does.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegold
    The farfetched idiocy of this post goes a long way to explaining the avatar.
    Oh, I get it. George Bush is dumb, and so are his supporters. Good one.
    Let's watch the personal attacks, folks!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    They should have put the reset button right in the stylus slot where the current screw is. Then all you'd have to do is take the stylus out and poke it horizontally into the Treo. I agree that taking the back off is silly and cumbersome... almost as silly and cumbersome as how often I find myself resetting the device in the first place!

The notion that I'd leave this phone lying around for someone to pick up and reset? Um, yeah, like that would happen. They'd steal it first. If not, so what if they soft-reset it? It boots back up and nothing is lost. Who cares? I seriously doubt anyone would hard-reset it because, gosh darn it, that usually takes me 3 or 4 tries and I've used practically every Palm and Treo ever manufactured.

Make it easier for ME to reset it when I have to; I'll worry about whether or now strangers have free access to my personal belongings.

This is a design flaw, plain and simple. I imagine I'll be drilling a hole too.
    The design flaw lies in the device's instability, which in turn necessitates the frequent resets.

If you could, for a moment, imagine the T650 as a new luxury car model that constantly stalls and needs a jump. You are all complaining that the terminals to jump start the car are under the hood, and that its annoying to have to constantly open the hood to jump it... What you should be complaining about is the stalling.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    The design flaw lies in the device's instability, which in turn necessitates the frequent resets.

If you could, for a moment, imagine the T650 as a new luxury car model that constantly stalls and needs a jump. You are all complaining that the terminals to jump start the car are under the hood, and that its annoying to have to constantly open the hood to jump it... What you should be complaining about is the stalling.
    Yes, but can't I complain about both?

As far as the resets go, PalmOne (more than likely) will just blame the 3rd party developers, who they'll claim should update their apps for better stability. In the meantime, PalmOne could have at least made it easier to reset when in fact I do need to reset.
    Yes, you can certainly complain about both to your hearts content. However, you're logic baffles me. You know what the true problem is and somehow you care to point out the lack of an ergonomic feature which truly shouldn't be there in the first place.

Incase you failed to notice the T650 lacks the kitchen sink as well. Maybe we should notify palmone, or better yet, anyone know of a mod for that?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    Wow is this a stupid post.

First, if you are crashing a Mac every time you touch it, I suggest you stop using computers. Now.

Second, if you think that Apple is where it is right now becuase they are also geared to be usabily simple, your wrong.

Third, simplicity doesnt neccessarily equal idiocy -- your post does.
    LOL!

i am not even gonna bring up the Apple market share cause it'll totally sidetrack this thread.
    Here is my opinion (remember every reply is just an opinion). I hated constantly unscrewing my stylus to reset my 600. The thought of having to do less is appealing, however I do agree that it could be easier. Now, about the 650 always needing to be reset, I have had mine about a week now and haven't once had to reset. I use every app I used for the 600. Anyway, the 650 crashes less than the 600 and the new reset hole is easier to access. All in all it's a better device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast