Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Had my 650 over a month now. I've never had to reset it, so why would I want it easy to reach? If you're to the point where you need a reset that bad, I dont think it'll kill you to open the battery cover.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Wow, it has been over a month now, amazing.

As far as the design goes, it seems to me that designers never look at the other devices on the market. I upgraded from the I-330, and that had the reset hole at the bottom next to the connector. Very accessible, yet out of the way.

It also has a ridge on either side, so if you set your phone upside-down on the table (to prevent anything from landing on the screen and damaging it) the phone would rest on those ridges, and not the phone buttons. I was used to doing that with my I-330, and after only one week my center 5-way button wore down to expose the brass(?) underneath.

The I-330 also had those built in rubber bumpers on the side, I dropped that thing several times onto concrete, and twice one or two buttons popped part way out. I just pushed them back in, and it worked great! Very rugged device.

This is my final brag for the I-330, it had a battery that was the cover! Why is their a cover for the battery anyway? The battery on the 650 has two covers, the shell of the battery itself, and the cover over it. And the space around the battery is not used. If they made it like many other phones that just have the battery snap in, you could use more of the space for a longer life battery. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the battery life, but have had it run very low twice, and hade to start conserving. And for the power users, that spend a lot of time away from a charger, a snap in battery design would allow a longer life battery to be designed. It would be more bulk, but that would be the compromise, for the people that want it.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV
    I think it's neither. The reset button should be a nothing issue, like how no one cares how good the little pin hole override is when comparing CD/DVD drives. It should practically never be used.

I keep saying should because the fact that it is used enough for this to become a design issue is in itself a significant flaw.

I'm not even a Palm basher. I'm looking forward to getting my VC order. But all that reset buttons should have to do is be reasonably accessible. Inside or outside the battery cover both qualify. Not needing to find a paperclip is good as well. Actually using it is supposed to be a rare event.
    Great point Greg. If the 650 weren't so buggy, there wouldn't be a frequent need to access the reset button and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Let's hope P1 gets a solid software fix to minimize freeze ups so we can end this conversation.
    You all have to put this conversation about the reset proceedure into propective.
    This is a high tech piece of equipment and the relative ease of doing a hard or soft reset is a breeze compared to doing a planned and scheduled event .. an oil and filter change on a car.
    P1 engineers look like the top of the class to me!.
    Merry Christmas
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    @ least zlauncher makes soft resets easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by twocows
    LOL!

i am not even gonna bring up the Apple market share cause it'll totally sidetrack this thread.
    Uh the apple market share is at least twice the size of the "smart" phone market share...
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edgefox
    Uh the apple market share is at least twice the size of the "smart" phone market share...
    Not to mention their marketshare in the mp3 player category...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Umm, your are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you leave your $650 phone sitting out and not watching it, you might need to re-think owning one in the first place.
    No, wait! This criticism is unwarranted.

He has lockline for "only" $5/month!

/sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegold
    The farfetched idiocy of this post goes a long way to explaining the avatar.
    Whew. I thought it was just me.

Sure, you could leave Treo 650 alone in a coffee shop, some stranger comes by, and instead of either stealing it, or turning it on and playing with it, he find's the nearest ultra-thin pointed object (we all carry hypodermic needle's, no?), or he studies the stylus to figure out how to unscrew it (ignoring the HANDHELD COMPUTER SITTING THERE because the stylus is more interesting) - then he not only pokes the pointy object into the hole, but he holds down the hard reset button at the exact same time.

Sure, it *COULD* happen.

Then again I might eat at Taco Bell today and **** a talking Chuihaha, who immediately jumps out of the toilet, grabs my Treo, and goes running out the door where he trades my Treo to a man in a sombrero for a Chalupa.
    And i'll be thanking PalmOne the whole time for that battery cover, because the Treo could have suffered a hard reset in all the fracas, causing one of those annoying hotsyncs to restore the data.

Hey, it could happen. I think it's a "feature" too.
    Quote Originally Posted by GADzilla
    Had my 650 over a month now. I've never had to reset it
    Eventually you might to take it out of the box and turn it on.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Hehe, thanks for the laughs GoodNamesRTaken. Well played.

The point is this: yeah it would be nice if the Treo didn't need resetting all that often. Sure. Great. But in the meantime, it would be nicer if it wasn't such a pain in the a$$ to reset it when the need arises. (And apps that soft reset don't count because how do you launch an app when the damn Treo is crashed, anyway?) Perhaps making the Treo 650 stabler is a taller order. The current reset button placement is just a boneheaded oversight that could have easily been fixed. It just adds insult to injury.

All they needed to do was make the battery the back panel itself ... and put the reset hole right there, just as it is on the Treo 600. Or give us some obscure keypress combo. Or last resort, put a hole in the door itself (which is probably what I'll end up doing myself.) Instead in the meantime I need to disassemble the damn thing when it crashes. Not very impressive when all you want to do is show off by browsing the web on your supercool new smartphone.
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/27/2004 at 01:23 PM.
    Agreed. All smartphones reset all the time (if you do anything more than keep you calendar on it at least). Palms, Treo's, PPC's ... they all need to be reset at least once every two or three days.

It should not be a pain in the ***.

Rather, I think they should make a special button just for this purpose, as I use the soft reset "hole" more often than I use the "wireless on/off" button.

I'd save more time inserting something into the hole to turn wireless on and off, than I would having to do that to perform a soft reset.
    Here's another error in that review:
    He states that the T5 has a voice recorder, so why doesn't the Treo 650?
    Well, unfortunately, the T5 DOES NOT have a voice recorder, nor does it have vibrating alarms or a freakin' charging LED. What a piece of crap! The T5, that is.
    "'Form follows function' ó that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    For me I'll take the hassle of removing the battery cover and poking the reset button any day in trade for clear reception with the phone. I make phone calles ever day. I reset the 650 once a month (if that).

My 650 has better reception, range, and voice quality then my 600 ever did. I'm a very happy camper even if resetting the phone is awkward.
    I had to do a soft reset every time I wanted to re-enable DUN until I read a thread on TC about how to do this without resetting. Until then, it was extremely annoying to have to remove the cover just to connect my laptop to the web.

A couple of years ago I lost the stylus on my Treo 300, which wasn't much of a problem since I almost never used the stylus anyway -- except when I needed to do a reset. Trying to find anything small enough to fit the reset hole's diameter was always a major effort. I remember being at a car rental office asking the staff if they had anything that I could use. They didn't have a paper clip handy. After a few minutes we settled on using a staple!

So the odds of someone accidentally resetting the Treo are too remote to take seriously. P1 should have left the reset hole accessible from the outside of the case. But I do like the wider diameter of the hole, which means the reset pin doesn't have to be unscrewed. If I were designing a new reset scheme, I would keep the wider diameter hole accessible from the outside, and make a double-press initiate a soft reset, and a press-and-hold initiate a hard reset. That would prevent casual resets, but make deliberate resets more convenient.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TOstler
    For me I'll take the hassle of removing the battery cover and poking the reset button any day in trade for clear reception with the phone. I make phone calles ever day. I reset the 650 once a month (if that).

My 650 has better reception, range, and voice quality then my 600 ever did. I'm a very happy camper even if resetting the phone is awkward.
    Wow, that's quite a statement as the 600 has fantastic RF performance(reception, range, etc)
    OK, OK, itís a non issue. The Auto reset feature attached answering important calls fills any need for a manual reset. Only people who don't use the phone need to reset manually in order to fulfill the built in reset quota.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    I had to do a soft reset every time I wanted to re-enable DUN until I read a thread on TC about how to do this without resetting.
    Just curious, how did you end up fixing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    They didn't have a paper clip handy. After a few minutes we settled on using a staple!
    Hehe, I've done that. Hurts, doesn't it?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12