Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What happens if I load the 650 firmware on my 600?
    Besides the obvious lack of new fuctionality?

I read the camcorder app/camera on the 650 uses the SAME hardware as the 600 and the megapixel quality is achieved via the software.

True or False?
    "Always changing; everything for good, nothing for nothing."—Flying Hawk, Sioux Chief

Jonn Nubian/First Generation Urban/Brown Eyed Intelligence

My sites mobile formatted for the Treo
    here
    That would be great if it would work. Has anyone tried this or know if its possible?
    if there is any way to patch the camera app in order to get the megapixel quality, p1 would release it.

so, unfortunately, false
    Imagination is more important than knowledge
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex T
    ...order to get the megapixel quality..
    There is NO megapixel quality in the 650. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $its$ $the$ $same$ $cr$@$ppy$ $camera$ '$enhanced$' $for$ $low$ $light$...
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
  5.    #5  
    Alex T- P1 is in the business of selling treo 650.
    Why would they release it 600 users instead of having them upgrade for more $$$?
    "Always changing; everything for good, nothing for nothing."—Flying Hawk, Sioux Chief

here
    Two things make the 650 camera appear better- software enhancements and the 320 x 320 display. It is NOT a quantum improvement, but it is a good bit better. For me, the camera is now usable. On the 600, it was hardly worth the effort.
    Quick lesson in why this will NEVER work:

The 600 uses a OMAP TI CPU (Greek)
    The 650 uses a Intel ARM CPU(Spanish)

When you then proceed to copy the Spanish language programs to the Greek phone, it won't work.

Make sense?
    Shadowmite:
    Not necessarily. Programs are usually written for an OS platform, not particularly for CPU. I might be over my head here but what you said is something like: MS Outlook XP will only work for Intel and not AMD.

Just my opinion.
    Although it is possible to flash the 650 firmware to the 600, the 600 would become an instant paperweight upon doing so. The firmware for the 650 contains the OS which is compiled to work specifically with the processor of the 650. It will not and can not work on the 600.
    AMD and Intel p4's are the same processor. They are both x86 based. ARM and OMAP are different varients of how code is processed. It is quite similar to the processor used in a mac a g5 or such, and the x86 based pc proc.

Mac OS does not run on XP with out a huge emulator.
    Quote Originally Posted by 650now
    Two things make the 650 camera appear better- software enhancements and the 320 x 320 display. It is NOT a quantum improvement, but it is a good bit better. For me, the camera is now usable. On the 600, it was hardly worth the effort.
    I don't know what you use the camera for, but if you print photos, such as a 6"x4", the Treo600 does a very nice job. It gives you a 640x480 image that's nice and sharp, so long as you took the photo in sufficient light. If you just look at the Treo screen, sure, it does not look like much. I don't use the camera often, but when it's needed, it's there - very handy.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Where can you even download the 650 firmware ? I couldn't find it on the P1 site.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    shadowmite tried to give you guys a simply explanation.

The OMAP and the StrongArm are both Arm CPUs. Hence, they can both run some of the same set of applications, but not all.

it's like trying to run a program that depends on a Pentium-4 on a Pentium, they are both X86, but the Pentium-4 has loads of new instructions that prevent that from working.

what you could probably do is try and create a 600 firmware using specific prc's from the 650 (prehaps new blazer or versa mail) but a general os upgrade would most likely fail)
    the Cobalt on Linux is gonna be sweet for this particular reason...for future models of course
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  15.    #15  
    MY POINT exactly. Im really more interested in the 650 camera apps.
    Unless someone with a 650 just want to upload their app

here
    I'll post one more time on this. Try it and you'll break your 600 phone. Do not load ANY application from the 650 onto a 600... If they are written in 68k assembler, you'll get lucky and it'll work, if they are written in pxa270 assembler, you'll toast your phone or at least lock it up. You have been warned.

The camera app, nubian, is based on different camera hardware. If it worked at all I'd be amazed, I'd put money on it breaking your camera module. But if you want to try, stop the talking, the files are in the 650 rom files at my web site. Enjoy... You might want to purchase insurance first...
  17.    #17  
    Shadowmite...instead of the ROM files.
    You have the individual apps?
    I got the insurance

here
    You r really gonna try it.
    if so, after read this whole post,I have to admit that I'm impressed by you courage.

Good luck, and let us konw how it goes!
    Imagination is more important than knowledge
    Quote Originally Posted by nubian
    I read the camcorder app/camera on the 650 uses the SAME hardware as the 600 and the megapixel quality is achieved via the software.

True or False?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $that$ $is$ $false$! $The$ $650$ $may$ $have$ $a$ $vga$ $cam$ $like$ $the$ $600$, $but$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $it$ $has$ $the$ $same$ $type$ $of$ $cmos$ $sensor$ $etc$. $The$ $actual$ $hardware$ $is$ $different$ $from$ $what$ $I$ $recall$ $reading$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  20.    #20  
    Yeah. I just got a replacement treo (2nd one) which gives it another warranty of 12 months from Sprint. If I dont get the individual files I might get bored and walk into a Sprint store and beam the apps to my treo 600

here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast