Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

So I've gotten my shiny new Treo 650 all set up and working, and just installed BackupMan (which worked flawlessly on my Treo 600).

First backup I tried, it gives me this error:

System backup FAILED

Database: already open (0x0205)

I've done a soft-reset, but still get the error.

Anyone know what this is, and how I can get around it? This same software load on my Treo 600 worked fine, so I'm pretty sure it's something different about the 650 that's causing it.

Thanks!

\marc
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    this has been discussed a bit. download the new beta.

http://www.bitsnbolts.com/files/BackupMan152b5.zip
  3.    #3  
    Thanks.. I had done a search on BackupMan and didn't catch references to the problem, probably my not reading carefully enough.

Anyway, that seems to be helping. Thanks so much for the pointer.

\marc
    I can't get BackupMan 1.52b5 to get through a backup. I always get the memory full error...let's see who is the first to fix it; BlueNomad or BitsNBolts or perhaps a darkhorse third?

For now I get BackupBuddyVFS Pr0 3.06 all the way through the backup and on a restore I have to do it once automatically then another time with some selective files that do not restore on the automatic....messy, but it works at least most of the time for most of the files....until it is fixed on one of them. Hopefully it is BBVFS, I am a registered user.
    you can try right backup, I had to switch after the backupman beta stopped working for me. I am not affiliated in anyway with either developers. I just needed a solution that works right now. Right backup is that solution for me.
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    I can't get BackupMan 1.52b5 to get through a backup. I always get the memory full error...let's see who is the first to fix it; BlueNomad or BitsNBolts or perhaps a darkhorse third?

For now I get BackupBuddyVFS Pr0 3.06 all the way through the backup and on a restore I have to do it once automatically then another time with some selective files that do not restore on the automatic....messy, but it works at least most of the time for most of the files....until it is fixed on one of them. Hopefully it is BBVFS, I am a registered user.
    I use the 1.52b5 version on my 650 and have never had a problem.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    if the backupman thing doesn work make sure you have at least 40 megs free on your sd card. also make sure you only have one set backed up. if you have 2 sets backed up, delete your older one. i was denied on two different occassions for those reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    if the backupman thing doesn work make sure you have at least 40 megs free on your sd card. also make sure you only have one set backed up. if you have 2 sets backed up, delete your older one. i was denied on two different occassions for those reasons.
    Unfortunately for me, it was a fresh install, no other backups. 1gb card with 750meg free....too bad, I like BackupMans feel. I am sure they (BBVFS & BackupMan) will be fixed soon.
    Question for those using Backupman: do you get a soft reset after completion of a backup or a message indicating the backup is complete? I always get a soft reset (but I've successfully restored from backups that have finished in this manner). Just wanted to see if I was the only one with this experience or whether this is expected behavior. Or is there a fix if this is a problem?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmcdowell357
    you can try right backup, I had to switch after the backupman beta stopped working for me. I am not affiliated in anyway with either developers. I just needed a solution that works right now. Right backup is that solution for me.
    Thanks for the tip. Right Backup is working for me now too... BackupMan just wasn't cutting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    Question for those using Backupman: do you get a soft reset after completion of a backup or a message indicating the backup is complete? I always get a soft reset (but I've successfully restored from backups that have finished in this manner). Just wanted to see if I was the only one with this experience or whether this is expected behavior. Or is there a fix if this is a problem?
    I don't know what to say. I installed the same version that I used on my 600 (I use the same HotSync ID on my 650), entered my regitration code and it works just like it did on the 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Thanks for the tip. Right Backup is working for me now too... BackupMan just wasn't cutting it.

Very glad to help.
    RT backup has already saved my hide twice over this holiday break!
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    So im guessing that I can't just take my SD card with Backupman on it from my 600 and just hit restore device when I pop it into my new 650. Is this correct?
    YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT, you will have endless problems with your new 650. follow the installation instructions included in the manual (if you are a man I know it is hard) but you have to.
    Treoing & Loving it
    So im guessing that I can't just take my SD card with Backupman on it from my 600 and just hit restore device when I pop it into my new 650. Is this correct?
    That is what I did and I haven't had any problems related to that procedure other then the limited memory issue. I got mine early and didn't know about the memory issue. Kept crashing when trying to restore fully, I had to go back and selective restore items to make sure I didn't run out of memory.

I did have a problem syncing for weeks took off butler all things working good and running stable now. Shame about butler though that was one of my favorite programs. Hope he has a fix soon.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Everything was restored as it was on your t600?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmcdowell357
    Very glad to help.
    RT backup has already saved my hide twice over this holiday break!
    I emailed the developer of BackupMan (as a registered user) and he said that the we'll eventually see the problem from other software too but since they do not perform a complete backup each time, it will take longer to happen.

For now though I'm just happy to have some kind of recurring backup that doesn't crash nightly. Hopefully this backup bug will get worked out somehow so all of them work and we can choose our favorites again. For now Right Backup is doing the trick. I haven't tested enough to do a "full restore," though -- only did a customized restore of some specific apps -- and it worked fine. Has anyone done a "full restore" with Right Backup? I'd love to hear some real world feedback.
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/27/2004 at 10:18 AM.
    Everything was restored as it was on your t600?
    Yes with the exception of the items I had to leave off due to limited memory.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT, you will have endless problems with your new 650. follow the installation instructions included in the manual (if you are a man I know it is hard) but you have to.
    I agree with gt5l. Even though it may work for some folks, the fact is the same amount of data that fit on a 600 won't necessarily fit on a 650, and there are many, many, many apps that had/have to be updated for 650 compatibility. Doing a wholesale "restore" from one device to another is asking for trouble. You maye get reset loops or crashes or run out of memory. Take the opportunity to do a "clean install," so to speak... installing apps one at a time and testing them, getting the latest updates, etc. This will also get rid of any orphaned data, and reacquaint you with what apps you're truly using frequently.

Maybe this advice is best for power user folks who've loaded up their Treo's with tons of 3rd party apps and actually know how to do the aforementioned "clean install." Perhaps for others, a simple restore will actually do the trick.

(I'll assume jayzee is a power user, since he knew what he had to selectively omit and was able to troubleshoot the issue on his own.)

But the general rule of thumb should be to install fresh, and not take the "restore" shortcut.
    I was having hugh amounts of problems using backupman had the memory issue and would not complete a backup. Picked up a 1 gig card and freed up 6 meg of internal memory and all of a sudden it works fine every morning I have my auto backup and it keeps my last two.
    Fred
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast