1.    #1  
    Has anyone been able to successfully install any of the existing Palm dictionaries on the Treo 650? I have had an incredible amount of bad luck with this. I've tried Pocket Dictionary 2.0, MSDict, and Nexus. With just about every dictionary, my Treo 650 resets when I try to HotSync the dictionary data (PDB) file. Memory issue?
    Why do you need to hotsync the db. Run it off the card I have no problems running nexus off the card from mine.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Do you have Butler on the Treo 650? Try removing it if so...there are reports on a hotsync crash with that software.
    Yeah, your issue is probably just with Hotsync, not with any incompatibility with those dictionaries. It seems that installing frequently causes soft resets. I've found that if it will usually get everything installed in a few attempts, but lately I've just been loading things directly onto my SD card using a card reader and then moving to internal memory (if needed).

That being said, NoahPro3 works (from SD card) and looks great!
  5.    #5  
    Wow, with Butler uninstalled, everything now works great. I can synch Nexus and the Nexus DB without any problems. Plus I was getting HotSync crashes when I had backup enabled and used a USB cable. Those crashes appear to have been resolved as well with Butler uninstalled.
    I've used Dictionary to Go on the 650
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    noah pro works fine from the sd card. In fact check out the other stuff at Arslexis. Most of their stuff works well from the sd card.

Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar
    noah pro works fine from the sd card. In fact check out the other stuff at Arslexis. Most of their stuff works well from the sd card.

www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    I concur!
    I use B-Dicty 5.2 version.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    It seems that Butler is the number one problem for hotsync crashes. Maybe if we all contact Hobbyist Software and recommend that it should be fixed, it might actually get done.

BTW, the link to their contact page is: http://www.palmgear.com/satellite/in...F=&siteid=1102

Thanks
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Actually he is aware of the problem and working a fix for it, but it is my understanding he will not have a physical treo 650 until the GSM ones are released.
    I just installed Nexus Dictionary. It is great with no bugs. Had the best graphics of any that I researched. Bought for $12 on Handango.
    Buyer Beware of Nexus. The pretty pictures do not come with the dictionary. You can add them, but that cool rose picture is not something you just get with the download.

In other words, don't expect (Like I did based on the screen shots) that if you look up flower, there will be a picture of a flower...not there, no pics in the database that I can see in the download.

I of course did not check every entry. Pretty dictionary, large file size compared to Pocket Lingo and MSDict. Not hatin on it, if fact going to load up this newer version and check it out again.

Cheers.
    True regarding the picture. It appears you load it yourself. I loaded my brother under the definition of jerk. It is large, but I used PowerRun to move it all to my large SD card, so no biggy - it takes up zero space on my ram.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    Buyer Beware of Nexus. The pretty pictures do not come with the dictionary. You can add them, but that cool rose picture is not something you just get with the download.

In other words, don't expect (Like I did based on the screen shots) that if you look up flower, there will be a picture of a flower...not there, no pics in the database that I can see in the download.

I of course did not check every entry. Pretty dictionary, large file size compared to Pocket Lingo and MSDict. Not hatin on it, if fact going to load up this newer version and check it out again.

Cheers.
    Not to seem like I am bashing this dictionary, really, but this quote from their website also always worried me about this dictionary.

"The word warriors at PocketSensei are constantly tracking down the latest vocabulary to make it into the English lexicon. Check back here for the skinny on updates to Nexus and DEX."

seems kind of odd to me that they have thier own team of word-ologists....and who deems a definition as "correct"? I mean if I am using Oxford, then I know it is established and have no problem citing the reference, but I would have a problem citing the word warriors at PocketSensei in my footnotes...KWIM?

Then if you look further (on PalmGear) it says that the dictionary is "based" upon WordNet from Princeton....

It is a pretty dictionary, but not one I would cite as a reference. I would sooner trust Oxford (MSDict), American Heritage (Pocket Lingo) or Websters (PalmOne Merriam Websters) ...
    Last edited by mattyparanoid; 12/23/2004 at 09:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Huh? Why would the screenshot show a picture of a rose, when a picture like that is NOT in fact included with the app? That blows. What do they expect users to add pics to each and every word?

Anyway, I use ArsLexis iNoah 1.1. It's all internet based so it takes up virtually no memory. They also have Noah Lite for free.

Hey, you could also load up Noah Online in the web (blazer) browser:
    http://www.arslexis.com/dict.html

or Merriam Webster:
    http://www.m-w.com/palm.htm
    Advance,
    have you managed to get the darn thing to run from the card, either by itself or using z-launcher. I have been unsuccessful. And, yes, I already bought the darn thing.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    I just purchased and installed the mother of all palm dictionaries, the 37MB Webster International Unabridged (http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/product/detail/12573). It requires the new ereader pro and seems to work well. I had been using Noah Pro on my Treo 300, but really didnít like the wordnet Ďdefinitionsí. Frequently, when I look up a word, Iím really looking for exact meaning, pronunciation and usage, not just synonyms. This dictionary is authoritative and comprehensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    Advance,
    have you managed to get the darn thing to run from the card, either by itself or using z-launcher. I have been unsuccessful. And, yes, I already bought the darn thing.
    Sorry, I had unsubscribed to the thread. Yes it runs from a card via Powerun.