1.    #1  
    Ok, yesterday I posted that I had found something cool. Adding a speed dial or fav button and assigning a ring tone to it. Mine will not use the assigned ringtone. Any suggestions? I played with it for hours and couldn't get it to work.
    Tried dong that also. the actualy ring tone works. But when that person calls, the phone only uses the default listings.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    What kind of ringtone did you assign? I've found the midi ringtones work but if you assign an AMR or QCP or WAV ringtone it doesn't work and plays the default. If the ringtone is one you recorded from the Treo, it's probably QCP and that would be why it's not working.

I don't know if this is a limitation or a bug but the favorites ringtones won't work with anything other than a midi sound.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    What kind of ringtone did you assign? I've found the midi ringtones work but if you assign an AMR or QCP or WAV ringtone it doesn't work and plays the default. If the ringtone is one you recorded from the Treo, it's probably QCP and that would be why it's not working.

I don't know if this is a limitation or a bug but the favorites ringtones won't work with anything other than a midi sound.
    I too, am able to only use midis when assigning fav. ringtones, .amr files don't work as fav. assignments...that blows!

Even worse, only ONE number for the contact will trigger the special ringtone. I have my husbands cell programmed in the fav button, but if he calls from work I get the default ringer.

Looks like I will have to look into getting a ringtone application to handle ringtone assignment.

K
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    Looks like I will have to look into getting a ringtone application to handle ringtone assignment.
    What 3rd party applications are there?

This blows. I just want to be able to use the ringtones the way the DOCUMENTATION says they can be used!

<http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(19349)>

Add AMR ringtones

The Treo 650 smartphone uses two formats for ringtones: AMR and MIDI. This section talks about AMR, which is best suited for voice clips rather than music.

AMR ringtones are recorded using your Treo 650 smartphone's built-in voice recorder. It's an ideal way to add alerts like "Hey, Larry's Calling!" ...
  6.    #6  
    Ok, I only tried the one that I recorded myself on my Treo. I tried deleting the number from my contacts list (to remove the chance of number conflicts) and no go. I really like the treo 650. I mean my wife and I "Discuss" weather or not I need it on a daily basis. That said... I'm really getting peeved... Really peeved... at the bugs I'm finding...
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    PalmOne is sneaky. Rather than FIXING the problem here, they've just changed the example text of what a customized ringtone can do.

Note in my link above, the text I quoted was

Add AMR ringtones

The Treo 650 smartphone uses two formats for ringtones: AMR and MIDI. This section talks about AMR, which is best suited for voice clips rather than music.

AMR ringtones are recorded using your Treo 650 smartphone's built-in voice recorder. It's an ideal way to add alerts like "Hey, Larry's Calling!" ...
    Well now, going back to the same page, the text now reads:

Voice recorder ringtones are recorded using your Treo 650 smartphone's built-in voice recorder. It's an ideal way to add alerts like "Larry, pick up the phone!"
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(19349)

Note the subtle difference? In the first text, it implies we'd be able to assign customized recordings for each speed dial. So for example, their own name can be announced when they call.

In the second (replacement) text sample, it's just telling "Larry" to pick up the phone.

I bought this phone excited about that feature (I wanted to record friend's voices, take their picture, all on the phone, and assign those to their speed dial buttons to identify when they were calling. This doesn't work on the Treo 650. And rather than FIX it, they've just gone in and changed the sample text.)

Another update: rather than fixing this bug, PalmOne has also added this caveat to the same page:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(19349)

Voice recorder ringtones do not work as Caller ID Ringtones
    Please note, you cannot assign voice recorder ringtones to Favorites as Caller ID Ringtones. If you do assign a voice recorder ringtone, you will hear the Default ringtone whenever that person calls you.
    They also changed the suggested recording from "Hey, Larry's Calling!" to "Larry, pick up the phone!"

That's not what it said when I bought the phone.

And the speed dial UI still allows these recordings to be chosen, they just DON'T WORK when they're supposed to.

So PalmOne just changes the technote to imply it's not possible? How about FIXING it instead, PalmOne?

Call me lame for grousing over a silly feature, but folks with bad eyesight or even just gearheads would like to know who's calling without having to take the phone out of their pockets. Customized voices for each speed dial would have been cool and was promised to us. Now all we get is a shoddy coverup.
    Last edited by Fofer; 03/24/2005 at 09:44 AM.