Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think I have every serial, registration info, freq flyer things known to man. so when it crashes, I can input it easier.

saving the "preferences" prc file isn't a bad idea at all though.
    With all due respect (seriously) guys, how can you say the TREO 650 isn't problematic when you have to jump through hoops such as what y'all are talking about here to keep the darn thing working?
    I've had this happen to me once as well. It was after a soft reset, and every reg code disappeared. I keep a list of all my 3rd-party apps, the version numbers, and the reg codes in a text file on a USB drive, so it's not that big of a deal to just re-input them.

But I don't know why that particular soft reset (and I've had quite a few of them) wiped my Saved Preferences file.
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    With all due respect (seriously) guys, how can you say the TREO 650 isn't problematic when you have to jump through hoops such as what y'all are talking about here to keep the darn thing working?
    Huh?

When you find the "perfect" computer, the one that never ever ever has anything go wrong with it, let me know cause I'd like to see it. Its probably from some alien or divine origin, as anything made by Man is prone to have problems at some point or another.

And, the reliability of the Treo is such an old topic beaten to death repeatedly in sooooooooooooooo many threads. Can we PLEASE have some peace while we discuss other topics?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Why is it that whenever anybody questions all the stuff some of you good people go through to keep the little thing running somebody comes back with something like your comments here, Zboater? Here we just go through a thread outlining yet another weird thing you have to do with this critter to keep it running halfway decently, and I guess that's alright cuz nothing's perfect. Fine with me. I'm gonna keep pointing out these little inconsistencies, and you can keep pointing out that I shouldn't point them out cuz nothing is perfect. We'll really make progress that way.... But MOM, HE STARTED IT.......

I have never ever ever ever ever seen a little machine that inspires so much loyalty that people are so willing to bend over backwards to keep it running. Maybe I oughta buy some of that PalmOne stock afterall.
    Its not that I mind or want to hide the fact that there are problems. It just comes a point where it gets old when people just point out problem after problem without offering a solution. This thread is about a specific problem. People answer about their own experiences with that problem and hopefully suggest some solutions. The complaining about the Treo problems in general is the main topic in 100 other threads. Heck, I even started one or two. That's the only reason I came back with these comments - I don't disagree with your comments in general, I just think it is very old news and not an appropriate response in a thread about restoring the saved preferences file.

Just my $.02.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    And, the reliability of the Treo is such an old topic beaten to death repeatedly in sooooooooooooooo many threads. Can we PLEASE have some peace while we discuss other topics?
    Yeah, P1, how about it? Any relief in sight?
    Quote Originally Posted by mervynle
    Seems like all the beta testing was done using the out of the box configuration, without any thought of the use of third party apps.
    What are you talking about? That's what WE'RE doing NOW!

From where did these crazy ideas spring that suggest P1 tested these BEFORE release???? Sheesh!
    this happend to me on tuesday, all my prefs and keys got erased...it was a pain but i rebuilded
    Im not hoping it happens to me again, but if it does, I am going to try restoring the saved preferences file from backup. If that works, that would be a lot easier than re-entering all that info again.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Interestingly, I was affected by this bug a few times and solved it by restoring my saved preferences file from a backup. I have since hard reset and reinstalled all known good software fresh and I have not seen it again since. One of the main differences was that I went back to LauncherX on the reinstall. The problem occurred with ZLauncher, but has not with LX... Not clear evidence that it was ZL, but obviously warrants noting...
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    I just lost my preferences last night (first problem since I bought it). It wasn't because of a hotsync, and infact happened while I was sleeping (I know this because the "TreoAlarm" app that I'd set to wake me up was blank too.

TreoAlarm was working fine previously and I'd had it grabbing weather online before the alarm too. So I don't think that's the problem, at least not by itself.

What I have done recently though is this...

Download and install TreoHelper. I did this through Blazer and HandZipper though, no sync for install. I will delete this app first to see if I lose prefs again.

Move Sheet-to-Go, Doc-to-Go, etc. over to the SD card following the instructions in the app. Since I lost prefs the Documents to Go app now causes a soft reset immediately if I try to launch it. I'll put those back in RAM next if replacing the prefs.prc file doesn't fix the problem but I have a feeling that might require a complete delete and reinstall. Hope I can find all the piece-parts to that prog after shuffling some to the card.

Turned on VersaMail auto fetching feature. I just turned this feature on recently and it didn't seem like it was working yet. Losing prefs seems to have erased all my Versamail account info. I'll turn off autofetch again assuming the replaced prefs replaces the now missing mail accounts.

The only other app I have running that I think could have participated in this conflict is BrightCam but it's been working fine too.

I'll keep ya posted and watch for other ideas.

Ivory...
    This happened to me too a couple months ago. For me, the Treo lost my hotsync ID and programs couldn't retrieve the ID to register. Even when in Preferences, I could see the correct ID and change it, but the programs couldn't query it. I'm not sure what I did to fix it, but good suggestion on backing up SavedPreferences.
    I just lost my preferences last night (first problem since I bought it). It wasn't because of a hotsync, and infact happened while I was sleeping (I know this because the "TreoAlarm" app that I'd set to wake me up was blank too.

TreoAlarm was working fine previously and I'd had it grabbing weather online before the alarm too. So I don't think that's the problem, at least not by itself.

What I have done recently though is this...

Download and install TreoHelper. I did this through Blazer and HandZipper though, no sync for install. I will delete this app first to see if I lose prefs again.

Move Sheet-to-Go, Doc-to-Go, etc. over to the SD card following the instructions in the app. Since I lost prefs the Documents to Go app now causes a soft reset immediately if I try to launch it. I'll put those back in RAM next if replacing the prefs.prc file doesn't fix the problem but I have a feeling that might require a complete delete and reinstall. Hope I can find all the piece-parts to that prog after shuffling some to the card.

Turned on VersaMail auto fetching feature. I just turned this feature on recently and it didn't seem like it was working yet. Losing prefs seems to have erased all my Versamail account info. I'll turn off autofetch again assuming the replaced prefs replaces the now missing mail accounts.

The only other app I have running that I think could have participated in this conflict is BrightCam but it's been working fine too.

I'll keep ya posted and watch for other ideas.

Ivory...
    I never had this problem before ROM 1.08 but since then, I've experienced this after a random soft-reset (haven't been able to reproduce the situation) a couple of times. Restoring "Saved Preferences" from Backupman gets me up and running in no time, but it is annoying that it occurs...any fixes would be welcome.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    I just move keep a copy of the saved preferences.prc on my desktop. I have noticed that I only loose it after a failed to complete sync. Not all failed syncs, but some of them. I have been had the failed sync problem since the begining, but the lost preferences has just started.
    Do you need a back up program to save a copy of saved preferences.prc on your desk top? Or are you saving the file created on your desk top with a hot sync?

JC
    Well, I didn't find the preferences.prc file at first glance so I just deleted the TreoHelper file and resynced. Everything seems fised now except Docs to Go. It complained during the sync that both the desktop and palm versions of files had b1n edited and that it saved both in each place and asked me to simply delete one at my convenience. I still couldn't launch any of them without causing a soft reset so I just deleted them all from the Treo. I'll probably just delete the entire app and reinstall.

In the meanwhile, can anyone tell me where the preferences.prc file is normally saved on the syncing computer?

Ivory...
    This happened to me, but even worse after I restored from BackupMan...
    POCKETUNES and everything else totally lost their info...and thought I was using a demo!
    CallFilter, PocketTunes, SnapperMail..everything, man.
    This really Sucks (note the capital "S").
    Someone help! I can't figure it out...
    and before anyone says I'm not savvy enough, I didn't try hard enough -
    I had a 286.
    I catch Wifi from a parabolic dish rigged from Chinese cookware.
    And I've taken the 650 apart many times to fix the buzzing nuisance.
    'Nuff said.
    Someone HELP!
    -J.G. Bauer
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory

In the meanwhile, can anyone tell me where the preferences.prc file is normally saved on the syncing computer?

Ivory...
    I found the file "saved_preferences" in the palm/user/backup folder on my computer.

I haven't tried restoring yet using this file....let me know if it works.

JC
    I've had it happen once a day on average... real pain in the arrrse.... I use Botzam backup which will restore it from the nightly backup but this is crazy! It seems to happen every time the screen goes off then comes back on with the keyguard (butler2.89) and then it just goes crazy....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast