Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I purchased the Treo 650 in mid November. This was such a hassle. When I purchased it, Palm told me that they do not have a correct FedEx tracking number because mines "were in a bad batch". So being pissed off about this, i harrassed them everyday, and they said that it should come in 2 days. Low and behold it did, and i am satisfied. But 2 weeks ago, Palm One e-mailed me stating that they have replaced my money back into my account. I was confused, so i called, and they said "we gave you back your money since you never receieved your Treo 650". Off course i went along with it. So I have a free Treo 650 because the people at Palm don't know what the hell they are doing. Hey, I can't complain, just wanted to share.

P.S.- Now if i start to have issues with my Treo 650, could i call palm, or deal with it with Sprint?
    Um, more than likely deal with sprint. They don't care where you get your phone, just that it isn't stolen. Although... I would hold on to that money for a while. Put it somewhere safe.

A similar thing happened to me, only it was with sprint and a different piece of gear (network hubs and the likes). They sent me two of each, but only charged me for one of each. I did the upstanding thing and sent the extra back, but they claimed they never received it (after they noticed their mistake of course). Now I got stuck paying for both sets (realize I only kept one set) or having it go on my credit report.

Moral of the story, be careful when you think you have gotten over on these companies. They have a way of finding their mistakes and making you pay for them. Even if you did the "right thing," I would follow up with proof in writing.
    They'll realize their mistake at some point, put the money in a savings account.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks man, appreciate the advice.
    There is a good chance they will realize the mistake. I had a busted Treo that I got a replacement for for 6 months before Sprint asked for it back. They did so by saying they wanted to avoid charging me $600 for it. Good thing I had it laying around (and I didn't sell it on ebay or anything).
    "Simply put though it's not your job to do their accounting."
    Well, that states the case simply, but not correctly - either from a legal or ethical perspective. The latter is just my personal opinion, but the former is "black letter law". People in a business trnasaction don't have the right to profit from someone else's honest mistake in this manner. Obviously "newtreoguy" feels good enough about his sneaky behavior to brag about it to the rest of us, but let's not encourage him.
    where do you see sneaky behavior? It's not like he went out of his way to get the free treo...
    No, but when there is an obvious mistake that benefits you, you should come forward. It's the right thing to do.
    Yes,
    but sorry, don't everyone jump down my throat, but, after all, where did plain old common decency and honestly go? I am not trying to flame you newtreo, just commenting that I, for my own self-respect and conscious, prefer to do the honest and honorable thing. Send em an email and tell them what happened. If they don't respond to that, hey, you walked the higher road, and made an honest attempt a correcting THEIR mistake.

Just my two cents is all.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Absolutely, if they don't recognize their mistake after you tell them, enjoy your Treo! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    "Simply put though it's not your job to do their accounting."
    Well, that states the case simply, but not correctly - either from a legal or ethical perspective. The latter is just my personal opinion, but the former is "black letter law". People in a business trnasaction don't have the right to profit from someone else's honest mistake in this manner. Obviously "newtreoguy" feels good enough about his sneaky behavior to brag about it to the rest of us, but let's not encourage him.
    I and obviously others feel good about it also. Just another example of how stupid palmone can be and I have no sympathy for them. In my world newtroguy did nothing wrong, he scored, palmone can absorb it without a problem, from all the money they saved by not giving us more ram, wifi, etc.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Word of advice, newtreoguy. You may want to keep such transgressions to yourself next time. I personally don't care one way or another, but plenty of people on this forum do, so to best avoid this sort of discussion for or against you in the future, don't go bragging about it.

just my .02.
  13. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    newtreoguy clearly has an obligation to inform PalmOne of their accounting error. It is then their obligation to set it right or to ignore him.
    Cheers

Charles
    Good for you, P1 charged me $125 to repair a screen on a previous device i owned, then they sent me a letter saying that they made an error because the issue was covered under warranty, and they will refund the money. That's nice, but that was two years ago, and I have not seen a dime yet. I called many times, but it is like speaking to a wall. So the way I see it, you only owe palm $475, thats the $600 they would have charged you for the Treo minus my $125. I am sure others have similar stories, so in the end P1 may owe us money.

But I agree with others, this is not right.
    Last edited by gt5l; 12/22/2004 at 03:21 PM.
    Treoing & Loving it
    If you give the clerk a ten, and she gives you change for a twenty, do you pocket the difference? No way, and this is no different. This is the kind of behavior that just keeps lowering our society to an even lower common denominator. And no flames of "but big business/Sprint/government. whoever keeps ripping us off." You cannot justify bad behavior by citing other bad behavior.

Don't encourage folks to act unethically - it's no better than telling your children to "Do as I say, not as I do."
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Let's just bottom line it folks:

- Palm1 made an honest mistake
    - newtreo lied in order to keep P1 fron discovering their mistake (he said so much in the first post)

So appologists: no matter what world you live in, what newtreo did was dishonest and unethical. I suppose if you received an extra $20 in change at a store but decided to keep it that you would be in the right? and the poor clerk who has to make up the missing $20 out of her paycheck got what she deserved?

Nice. Merry Christmas to you.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    "from all the money they saved by not giving us more ram, wifi, etc."

That's not a viable justification in my book.

And no matter how you look at it, it's stealing. Not to mention bragging about it on a board that clearly PalmOne reads. I wouldn't be surprised if he/she is contacted soon
    You should tell them you did receive it and pay for it.
    Who wants to be the first to make a wager on newtreo (in a month or so) b*thching about the treo 650, having a problem with his unit and the fact that no one can help him. Any takers? LOL
  20.    #20  
    OK guys. After viewing all these responses, i came to a realization that I was wrong. Just got off the phone with Palm, told them the story, and I will give them the $599 back. I needed to get that one off my back to start my 05' off right. Thanks to all who expressed their opinions. Without you guys, i would have never did the good deed.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast