Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Amen Carl & Shadow. The real sad part is the last time I did that for a clerk, she was shocked that I gave her back the excess change - the norm was to just keep it - and she was not incompetent as some have suggested above - just harried and going through a bad day.

High praise to you too NewTreo. Ignore the idiots here railing about "big business" and its lack of ethics. Whether they are right or not, your mom was right when she told you "Two wrongs don't make a right." You did the right thing, and a Very Merry Christmas too you.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    So, 33 cents, 10 dollars, or 600 dollars, it still boils down to one tenant of life, which today seems to mean so little, the oft quoted Golden Rule....
    I understand exactly what you are saying. Further I think it is a good lesson that be engrained in kids. I know it seems contradictory but I don't hold this same tennant when dealing with corporations. "Do unto others" all to often means the nice guy gets trampled in business life, capitalism (the biz golden rule of capitalism) see's to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreoguy
    OK guys. After viewing all these responses, i came to a realization that I was wrong. Just got off the phone with Palm, told them the story, and I will give them the $599 back. I needed to get that one off my back to start my 05' off right. Thanks to all who expressed their opinions. Without you guys, i would have never did the good deed.
    Wow. Most people would have been too proud to admit their mistakes...
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Amen Carl & Shadow. The real sad part is the last time I did that for a clerk, she was shocked that I gave her back the excess change - the norm was to just keep it - and she was not incompetent as some have suggested above - just harried and going through a bad day.

High praise to you too NewTreo. Ignore the idiots here railing about "big business" and its lack of ethics. Whether they are right or not, your mom was right when she told you "Two wrongs don't make a right." You did the right thing, and a Very Merry Christmas too you.
    1) The cashier analogy is a false analogy. The the consequences, corrective measures, bureaucracy in correction and motives behind the procedures that evoke these mistakes are completely different. I worked as a cashier for 5 years and never once came up with a short drawer. The store I worked at was very busy but would only stand for three short tills (not by pennies) a quarter. It's really not that hard... If you have one task (collect money for items purchased) what is so hard?

2) I am happy that you can simply assert (without warrant) that my analysis of corporate ethics is idiotic. Further, I highly doubt "your mom" is an authority on corporate strategy. Last, corporations want more people in the business world like you. If I, as a corporation, mess up to my detriment, you'll fix it; if it's to your detriment I can just ignore it and make it impossible to correct when you point it out.

Bitter but its the cold hard reality.

As far as the Golden rule, ethics, and generally being nice... there is only one person in this thread calling people names.
    The verdict is still out on the "two wrongs" issue. We will have to wait and see if Iraq becomes a democracy…
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    The verdict is still out on the "two wrongs" issue. We will have to wait and see if Iraq becomes a democracy…
    There is an off topic forum for political discussion. Please keep the thread hijacking to a minimum.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    DigglerD:

You weren't being singled out, as many others were implying its okay to rip off business because they rip us off. Ethics are not situational, and that's what is wrong with a lot of attitudes today. And the analogy to the sales clerk is spot on - that "extra" change is not yours, and the ethical thing to do is return it. The fact that you were so perfect in running your till for three years is admirable, but not universal.

You cannot justify bad behavior by relying on other bad behavior.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I'm an athiest (raised catholic and attended private school from K - 10) and although religions lie independent of ethics, even Christianity shows that when you turn the other cheek, no matter how nice you are, you still get crucified if the other side does not live by that same "ethic".

I understand your sentiment and it's admiral. I would like to live in a world where I could get along being honest (and I do correct clerks that give me wrong change, in fact, I corrected a prof that gave me .5 too much credit on an assigment just this last semester). However my only business ethic is he with the most money wins and that's how businesses approach it as well.
    Anyway, I will agree to disagree... Happy Holidays!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

*****? Well if we're going to throw around the word ***** then, and since I'm on the other side.....if there could be some poll done somewhere I believe people like you would get the ***** vote and frankly anyone who really believes he called palmone is a bigger *****. Funny, I told this story at work today and to the man, they all said they'd keep it, and thought newtreo was and ***** first for telling the story and second for allowing himself to be persuaded to call them palmone back. I don't believe he did however. I think he's simply trying to make born suckers happy. Koombaya my lord Koombaya.
    Last edited by Domingo; 12/23/2004 at 04:28 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123