Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    always a good idea to do what is right. Karma is a vengeful b!tch and you dont want her knocking at your door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    always a good idea to do what is right. Karma is a vengeful b!tch and you dont want her knocking at your door.
    true
  3.    #23  
    Called PalmOne, gave them their money back. So there you go. Staring 05' clean. Thanks for all the advice, concerns, and suggestions.

Merry X-Mas and Happy New Year
    you did the right thing. My only coment was to the person that implied you were acting sneaky. I don't think you deliberately set out to defraud p1.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Absolutely, if they don't recognize their mistake after you tell them, enjoy your Treo! :-)

back when there was a handspring and the visor delux came out, i got two and was only charged for one.

i called handspring to tell them and they said i really didnt have to return it, since it was there mistake.

still not feeling right, i email donna d. she said (as expected) that i should call back. I did. they said they would send fedex to pick it up. the box waswaiting to be picked up. 2 weeks later, no fedex. i sold it to a co-worker.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Truly believe you are gonna have a happy new year, newtreo!
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Dude, good job. Nothing like big brother knocking at your (credit). Hey, palm one might owe you an attaboy, and if you pushed the issue you may have got one. Probably not now; but, in retrospect, I bet you would have got one while on the phone with a manager to "solve the issue" that would have cost them $600. A simple software credit would have been nice to reward you. Although, by no means should this be incentive to do the right thing.
    -Gerry
    Congratulations on doing the right thing. I'm impressed.

It's amazing how clear the right answer is when we are talking about $10 and how difficult the answer is when it is $600. @ have not always made the right decisions in the past. Fortunately experince has a way of helping you see more and more clearly. Well, I guess that's not true for everyone, but it is for most.

And as silly as it sounds, I do fear bad karma.

Merry Christmas and nice job.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    As someone else stated above, it was unethical to lie to PalmOne. But it was just plain ASININE to post about your exploits on TreoCentral. Unfortunately for you, Lockline doesn't replace defective intellect. Some friendly advice to you; the next time you commit fraud, or any other crimes, don't run out and brag about it to all the people you wish were your friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamCraig
    Who wants to be the first to make a wager on newtreo (in a month or so) b*thching about the treo 650, having a problem with his unit and the fact that no one can help him. Any takers? LOL
    lol Problems, all the more reason he won't feel guilty I would think. From what I hear the 650's are just as buggy as the 600's.

You know I re-read the original post and for me, I would have loved to have heard the original conversation. I don't know for sure "legaly" and unless you're a lawyer neither do YOU, and the law is not alway what you might consider simple common sence, but I wonder if not volunteering information would be the same as lying. Sure ethicly but I wonder legaly. Either way though, palmone is NO corner store cashier there's no doubt in my mind they've done a lot worse to poor buggers all over. If you feel better great, sleep well.
    Last edited by Domingo; 12/22/2004 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreoguy
    OK guys. After viewing all these responses, i came to a realization that I was wrong.
    Good for you. I agreed with the others who felt it was your responsibility to inform P1 of the mistake. If they'd ignored you, you'd been in the clear.

I believe in doing the right thing for selfish reasons. There is some truth to karma, reaping/sowing, what-goes-around-comes-around.

Also, I sleep well at night.
    After reading this thread, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside... LMAO

First the analogy is of the cashier and $10 is simply stupid. A cashier is not a business entity and as such does not apply. The first thing learned in corporate america is the bottom line comes first. THERE ARE NO ETHICS IN BUSINESS (just look at HP for a prime example).

While corporations may sometimes do things that "seem" ethical, in almost all cases it's to pad the profit margin. Most companies have take credibility into account in the way they do business because without it, they lose business. Do you think Phillip Morris puts out "smoking is bad" commercials for your health? Do you think Coors says "Drink responsibly" because they care about you getting drunk? HP used to be the "People Company" but are now ill fitted into Fortune's 500 best place to work annual peice. Does Coke care that Diet Coke has only 1 calorie but enough chemicals to produce all kinds of nasty health complications?

I digress... back to the $10 analogy. It would not be in the cashier's best interest to give you back too much change just as it would not be in the cashier's intrest to give you too little change. In either senario the cashier does not stand to benifit but only lose by simply being incompetent. In the case of the organization... hell yea its in thier intrest to slip you up all the time. Look to mail in rebates (yes there is one with this phone) they deliberately put you through rings hoping that you will forget to check one little box so they can void your rebate.

To the situation at hand. Given the situation was reversed, Palm would say tuff luck buddy and tell you to eat it. In this thread alone we already have one guy complaining about a $125 loss. I don't want to hear anything about poor Palm and am saddened that you guys convinced this guy to pony up $599 for thier mistake.

Don't be fooled, you may feel warm and tingly by "doing the right thing" but if the situation were reversed, Palm would have screwed him in a heartbeat. It's never about the fuzzieness and ALWAYS about the bottom line. People seem to think the consumer has power in this market and for support and service, this may often be true. However, when it comes to the hard cash, companies often got you by the balls will do anything they possibly can to keep it.
    My suggestion would be to return the 650 with explanation. My bet is that a 2nd credit shows up on your account. At which time, 1 call or letter is required informing of such, for which I'm willing to bet again that nothing happens. At which point, you are no longer obligated, legally speaking. Of course morally speaking would be a different matter. Wouldn't it.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 12/22/2004 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by illbits
    As someone else stated above, it was unethical to lie to PalmOne. But it was just plain ASININE to post about your exploits on TreoCentral. Unfortunately for you, Lockline doesn't replace defective intellect. Some friendly advice to you; the next time you commit fraud, or any other crimes, don't run out and brag about it to all the people you wish were your friends.
    Your name's not Richard, is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    This is beautiful.
    kudos to you you newtreoguy. Most of you guys restored my faith in humanity. When I first read this thread, I immediately thought I would be in the minority.... heck a big corp does not need the $599. Glad to see that so many of you showed character in your advice. Hey Dale, I ALWAYS tell a cashier when I am given too much change. I guess my basic philosopy in life is, If I didnt earn it, I dont want it.
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by otterman
    Your name's not Richard, is it?
    no but I am a d*ck ahahahah
    Quote Originally Posted by illbits
    no but I am a d*ck ahahahah
    Look, we all should seek the high road, but I think it's ok to write ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    kudos to you you newtreoguy. Most of you guys restored my faith in humanity. When I first read this thread, I immediately thought I would be in the minority.... heck a big corp does not need the $599. Glad to see that so many of you showed character in your advice. Hey Dale, I ALWAYS tell a cashier when I am given too much change. I guess my basic philosopy in life is, If I didnt earn it, I dont want it.

I do too, Carl.
    The $10 example was from Perry Rob. My 7 year old ate a 33 cent choc chip cookie while we were grocery shopping at Albertsons last week and we checked out and forgot to pay for it. We went back together and happily paid the 33 cents, cause it was the right and decent thing to do. So, 33 cents, 10 dollars, or 600 dollars, it still boils down to one tenant of life, which today seems to mean so little, the oft quoted Golden Rule....
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by DigglerD
    THERE ARE NO ETHICS IN BUSINESS (just look at HP for a prime example).
    Yes, but that does not nullify the need for honesty and personal integrity. That is purely an excuse to justify dishonesty, but in no way justifies it or makes it less wrong.

IMHO
    Nanotechnology Nerd
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast