Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is anyone else using gloonet with pockettunes?
    I just started using it - works phenomenally well!

It took about 5 minutes to set it up.
    I've looked all over their website and can't find a link for it. Please guide the desperate treo user.

thanks!
    got it
    where is it?
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere... Write that down."
    -Van Wilder
    I would like to know where too.
    Call me nosey, but what is Gloonet? The website doesnt give any information on what it actually is... :P

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    GlooLabs' newest offering is GlooNet™, a service that allows consumers to access their personal audio, image, and video content around the home, from the office, and on the road via mobile phone or WiFi enabled laptops and PDAs.

While many companies are focused on providing third party content to the mobile phone, few provide users with access to their own, unique content. Consumers have invested significant time and money in developing their home multimedia collections. GlooNet will be core part of the on-going digital media revolution, where a proliferation of digital media devices and services will be offered to distribute music, photos, video and other files around and beyond the home.

GlooLabs licenses its GlooNet technology to network operators, handset manufacturers, broadband providers and software companies who develop products for the digital entertainment world. GlooNet provides a flexible, powerful platform that gives companies rapid entry into the mobile media market by powering remote access services for companies who desire to offer the next generation of digital entertainment.

I was thinking about setting up shoutcast so I could listen to my music from home. How is this better?
    Last edited by hall316; 01/03/2005 at 11:31 AM.
    Ahhhhhhhh... Thanks hall. I got curious!

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Quote Originally Posted by hall316
    I was thinking about setting up shoutcast so I could listen to my music from home. How is this better?
    I tried a Shoutcast server, but it was way too complicated. I hooked this up in minutes. Other than that, it serves a similar function, except that you can identify specific songs or playlists to play with GlooNet, I think you basically listen to whatever you have decided to stream with Shoutcast.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    I'd like to find a solution that would let me listen to my music at home from the treo while driving and my work computer while I am at work.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I'm curious as to what audio bitrate people are having success with? I am able to stream at 56KBPS with a "buffering" pause very rarely. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hall316
    I'd like to find a solution that would let me listen to my music at home from the treo while driving and my work computer while I am at work.
    Gloonet is it. Took me about 5 minutes to set up. works pretty cool.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  15.    #15  
    So here is my quick review of using gloonet with PocketTunes.

Pros- Decent Interface, Does what it says it does
    Cons - No AAC.
    Also.. Regarding m3u vs pls playlists. I got the following from gloolabs:

PLS and M3U are two different standards for playlist format. It doesn't
    really matter which one you use. You can really use either one as long
    as the player supports them. iTunes does some funny stuff with either
    playlist format... rather than storing the playlist, it loads the links
    to the individual tracks into the library and then loses the ordering
    and won't advance to the next song. I've had much better luck with
    RealPlayer. We are looking into a third options of a single stream
    "playlist" so it will work with iTunes.

On the Treo, we are working to improve some aspects of each playlist
    type... for example, right now you can only advance to the next song
    using the next button if you use M3U format, but then there is a bug
    that doesn't auto-advance to the next song when it gets to the end of a
    song. PLS will auto-advance, but the next and previous buttons don't
    work. We are working with Pocket Tunes to resolve these issues.
    gloonet rocks. I used to run shoutcast server with a set of homegrown perl cgi's to play the songs I want when iam not home. But gloonet provides me this and much much more.

I was up and running within 5 mins (eventhough I am behind a router). gloonet also supports bitrate from 24kbps , so its great for GSM treo guys like me. It also looks like the web interface is designed for a treo (very minimilistic).

I hope gloonet supports a search funtion ...so I can listen to any song from my collection when it strikes my fancy easily.

I haven't used it a lot. I am too excited and wanted to share my experience with other treo users!.
    I agree, Gloonet is awesome! Very easy to set up, and as cs123 mentioned, the web page UI is very simple and easy to navigate.

I imported a CD into iTunes on my PC, set up Gloonet, and then streamed that very CD through Pocket Tunes Deluxe on my 650! Unbelievable!

Can't wait for the Mac version of Gloonet to come out, as my entire music collection is on my PowerBook....

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    • To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    • To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    Any suggestions for a Mac/iTunes user who keeps getting the "Missing Gateway" error on the 650? I installed the Homepod Audio Server (v1.1), started it up, opened up the Mac Firewall, logged in with Blazer.... no luck.

I e-mailed Gloolabs a couple of weeks ago and have not heard back. Does anyone know if there is a step I am missing? So close...
    hall316 mentioned video content, I read the gloonet page and nothing was said about video streaming just audio/pictures. Am i missing something? Also what software can be used for the video for this gloonet?
    Last edited by ruckus2k1; 05/31/2005 at 12:59 AM.
    GlooNet for Mac OSX is available for download.

http://gloonet.com/download.php

The reason the HomePod software didn't work is that it doesn't contain the GlooNet components needed to run the service.

In any event, download the Mac installer and you should be able to get it up and running on your Treo 650.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast