1.    #1  
    When at the Chicago Roadshow (afternoon session), the speaker (tall skinny guy with the dry sense of humor) illustrated that he used group ringtones on his 650. He even went so far as to tell us what ringtones he used for family contacts versas the ones he used for business contacts. He even went into detail to tell us why he chose the songs he chose and implying that the song he chose for family contacts made him feel warm and fuzzy and the song he chose for business contacts made him cringe. (I think he mentioned a rap song) There was no mention of a 3rd party app making this possible and the indication was that the feature was indigenous on the 650.

I've had the phone for a week and don't see where group ringtones are possible.

Was I dreaming the entire segment during the Chicago Roadshow????

Anybody else who attended that show remember the same thing?

K
    you can numbers to the speed dial menu, and add a custom ringtone to those numbers. I just found it myself. I hope this helps some of you that may have been looking at an external program to do this for you.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller
    you can numbers to the speed dial menu, and add a custom ringtone to those numbers. I just found it myself. I hope this helps some of you that may have been looking at an external program to do this for you.
    Thanks but the implication was that ringtones could be assigned to the various groups from the "contact" application.

Was I just hearing what I wanted to hear?

K
    How do I use speed dial.. Where can I find it?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nade23
    How do I use speed dial.. Where can I find it?
    By speed dial he means "favorites". Once assigning a contact to a fav. button, you can simply use the button to dial OR you can assign a keyboard character that, when pressed and held, will dial the number.

K
    To find speed dial click the phone button, then the down arrow on the navigator. This brings up the speed dial menu. There are several applications already assigned. Press the right arrow to navigate through pages. Add numbers as desired. Pretty simple once you get in there.

I understand your frustration on the contacts/group ringtone assignment. I have been researching this as well. I don't think it's possible without a third party app just like the voice dial feature is only available through 3rd party apps. As far as I know anyway. Some of these super users on this board will know more I'm sure.
    Ok, I think I jumped the gun here. I set up a few favorites or speed dial numbers. then I had those people call me back, and it did not use the ringer I assigned. It did show the speed dial tag I created vice the contact info in my contacts. It did not use the custom ring tone though. I'll keep working with it an keep you posted.

Anyone else try this yet?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    It works for me. edit favorites > type: speed dial > ringtone: pick one from your phone or download them. When yo receive a call from that number "only" the assinged ringtone will work. If you want it for all the numbers for a contact you have to set up a favorite for each of their #s. That is the part that sucks!
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Yea, I tried that. I have some set up with my wive's phone. Didn't work. I thought maybe my caller id wasn't working. But it recognized the number, so that could not be it. Don't know what it is yet. I'll "play" some more and see if I can get it to work.

Oh, You're from my home town (or close to it) I'm stationed in Beaufort, SC right now. I miss Texas!
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    When at the Chicago Roadshow (afternoon session), the speaker (tall skinny guy with the dry sense of humor) illustrated that he used group ringtones on his 650. He even went so far as to tell us what ringtones he used for family contacts versas the ones he used for business contacts. He even went into detail to tell us why he chose the songs he chose and implying that the song he chose for family contacts made him feel warm and fuzzy and the song he chose for business contacts made him cringe. (I think he mentioned a rap song) There was no mention of a 3rd party app making this possible and the indication was that the feature was indigenous on the 650.

I've had the phone for a week and don't see where group ringtones are possible.

Was I dreaming the entire segment during the Chicago Roadshow????

Anybody else who attended that show remember the same thing?

K

FYI, both mp3Ringer and LightWav can assign individual and Group ringtones with custom jpg and gif animation too.

check it out www.toysoft.ca
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    Checked out those programs. I dont want to pay for something to add to my $600 piece of gear. I really feel those functions should have been included for free. My elcheapo sanyo 8100 phone does.

Anyway, I have played with the speed dial feature some more and it still does not use the custom ringer I chose. I wonder if it is because I recorded my voice and chose that. The mail ringer I recorded the same way works.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley88
    FYI, both mp3Ringer and LightWav can assign individual and Group ringtones with custom jpg and gif animation too.

check it out www.toysoft.ca
    Yeah, Smiley, been using Lightwav and PAR since its inception. But, from what I'm reading the Lightwav 5.0 beta isn't too stable and this darned 650 is already squirrelly enough.

I know that there are tons of 3rd parties out there that can offer me this feature, but I am just curious as to why the feature was demonstrated (in detail) at the roadshow but the phone is not capable?

I mean, it isn't a really important feature, but it borders on false advertisement. And...if the roadshow speaker was using group ringtones was it a feature that P1 removed prior to releasing the phone? And why?

K
    That's a good question my friend. I would like to ask them myself. Seems, if I spend this kind of money, these simple, cheap, included features on the majority of Sprint phones would be included!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I have tried assigning custom ringtones to phone numbers and I have discovered that they work when they are midi tones but do not work if they are AMR or QCP tones (even though the AMR/QCP tones work when assigned as the general ringtone).

I think Palm should fix this as this is ridiculous that only Midi tones can be used for custom numbers....
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffkahn
    I have tried assigning custom ringtones to phone numbers and I have discovered that they work when they are midi tones but do not work if they are AMR or QCP tones (even though the AMR/QCP tones work when assigned as the general ringtone).

I think Palm should fix this as this is ridiculous that only Midi tones can be used for custom numbers....
    I AGREE! What a complete disappointment. I complained about it here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=67372

I want to have my friends record their own "announcement" that they are calling. Why can I choose their recordings as customized ring tones via Speed Dial, only to later discover that my choice was ignored in favor of the "known caller" ring tone?

Why does it ignore only AMR's?

This is a bug. This is an oversight that I really hope PalmOne fixes!