1.    #1  
    I just got the Sprint Treo 650. Very quickly I have noticed that while I am actively using the device for data (Verichat or Chattermail-IMAP) I am not able to receive incoming phone calls. In fact, it is not until I open the phone application and make an outbound call can I actual receive an inbound call without it going straight to voicemail.

Is this expected behavior? I have used data devices on AT&T/Cingular (GSM) and have never noticed this behavior with that service. It is as if the Sprint service is like a dial-up ISP and while I am online my phone is tied up.

Thanks.
    Owner's manual, p.55.

This reply was posted from my Treo!
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperManFan
    I just got the Sprint Treo 650. Very quickly I have noticed that while I am actively using the device for data (Verichat or Chattermail-IMAP) I am not able to receive incoming phone calls. In fact, it is not until I open the phone application and make an outbound call can I actual receive an inbound call without it going straight to voicemail.

Is this expected behavior? I have used data devices on AT&T/Cingular (GSM) and have never noticed this behavior with that service. It is as if the Sprint service is like a dial-up ISP and while I am online my phone is tied up.

Thanks.

Not exactly. When you are viewing a blazer page and it's loaded you can receive calls. I.e. vision doesn't have to be actively disconnected for you to be accepting phone calls, you just can't have active data going back and forth. I routinely use Verichat while taking calls without having to reconnect. In that way it's unlike dial-up. Most varities of GSM/EDGE I hear support data and voice simulateneously.
    yeah, it's a "feature" of the Sprint network. The two calls (voice/data) are basically the same to the network (from a transmission perspective.)

FON
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    Most varities of GSM/EDGE I hear support data and voice simulateneously.
    Well, sort of. Yes, GSM/EDGE can support both simultaneously, but most GSM/EDGE phones, including the Treo 600, can't. We'll have to wait and see if the GSM Treo650 can, but I have my doubts, given it's similarity to the CDMA version.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by FONMaster
    yeah, it's a "feature" of the Sprint network. The two calls (voice/data) are basically the same to the network (from a transmission perspective.)

FON
    In light of that it's really quite puzzling why Vision is an unlimited plan. Meaning basically if I use Vision and hop into my ssh session for 10 minutes, then accept a phone call, talk for 10 minutes, and then do ssh for 10 more minutes, in reality I've used the network for half an hour. Yet my phone plan only deducts 10 minutes from the total.

I say, if Sprint changes this in EV-DO, but jacks the cost.... Well, I could live with calls going to voice while maintaining active TCP/IPs if this means current low pricing for unlimited data.
    It's not a "feature" per se, more of a superior technology that hasn't been fully rolled out yet.

CDMA has the ability (unlike GSM) to handle high speed data. The CDMA carriers are in the process of upgrading their systems. The next step is EV-DO which will bump up the speed of our data connections (EV-DO capable phone neccessary.) The following step is EV-DV which WILL allow you to talk and surf at high speed all at the same time.

Since GSM could not support data on it's own, another system had to be piggybacked...hence GPRS/EDGE. This is why from the start, the towers can do both @ once (but not all phones were made to do so.) This is only temporary until WCDMA is rolled out (which is the next step for most, if not all, GSM carriers.) I don't recall much about WCDMAs data capabilities, but I would guess that it should be similar to CDMA's EV-DV.

Oh, and the speculation is that Sprint had issues (and maybe they still do) metering data usage....this is why it's always been unlimited. They wanted to be first to market w/ Vision...even though they didn't have the tools to meter it.