1.    #1  
    i've had my 650 for a few days now and seem happy with it (i'm a bit dated, i'm upgrading from a palm 3) i noticed something today and was wondering if other people are having the same problem.

the illumination of the keys on my phone varies from letter to letter (ie "A" is bright. "Q" -right above it- is not as bright) which is all fine and dandy.

My space bar, however, only illuminates on the left half and not the right. anyone else noticing it? (it took me 4 days to notice one mine) just want to make sure my unit isn't defective before i REALLY start banging away on it.

thanks

jim

ps. i've been lurking in the background for the past few months and reading this site regularly. excellent discussions.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbobolth
    the illumination of the keys on my phone varies from letter to letter (ie "A" is bright. "Q" -right above it- is not as bright) which is all fine and dandy.

My space bar, however, only illuminates on the left half and not the right. anyone else noticing it?
    Agree about both A/Q and spacebar.
    my Z is really dim as is my S and as mentioned above same problem with the space bar
    Yes, I have the same thing. I am sure they don't have a light for each key, but several lights that light the whole keyboard.

One thing I found interesting, is my first and second unit had distintively different illumination. My newer one is more on the pink side. It also seems a little brighter then the other one. I took some pictures of them side by side, but the difference didn't come through in the pictures.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    It's probably because there is an LED directly below that bright spot on the spacebar.

If you have ever taken a Nokia that has detachable faceplates apart, when you open it up you'll see a little grid of maybe 6 or 9 (I think; it's been a while) little LEDs that provide light to the keyboard.

It's not a problem or an indication of a failure.
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by davecombs
    It's not a problem or an indication of a failure.
    Agreed, but for $600 it should be PERFECT!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmoose
    Agreed, but for $600 it should be PERFECT!!!
    Just keep in mind, more LED's means a brighter keyboard.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Not only does more led's equal brighter KB, but also means more battery drainage. It is not a defect, simply a matter of how the light disperses from where the LED's are placed. I suspect if you felt like opening your device, there are probably spots you could solder on new leds to make them all eve, but good luck with the blinding you'd suffer in dark conditions.
    The keyboard is bright enough. I got up early this morning and it was blinding me. I had installed KB lightoff software and turned the keyboard off. This is a non-issue for me.
    Could be worse - they could have used green LEDs like they did on the 300.

Maybe someone will make a more see-thru keyboard botton sheet, again like those for the Nokia phones with removable faces. (Doubt it, though; the 650 is nowhere near as user-friendly to open up. The ability to do so was never part of the design.)
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro