Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This actually applies to the 4 main buttons: Talk, Calendar, Mail, Hang Up/Power

When I power off the unit using the Hang Up/Power key, the screen goes blank. The Treo is "off" so to speak, what I would expect. However, now when I click on any of the 4 buttons including the Hang Up/Power key, nothing happens. Nothing at all. It ALWAYS requires a second click to bring my Treo back to life. I can power off and hit the talk, calendar, mail, or power key - none of them will bring wake the Treo until I have hit the button TWO times.

I apologize for repeating myself here, just want to be crystal clear. This seems like odd behavior to me. I'd think the cycle would be on/off/on/off, not on/off/off/on. Get it? Do all 650's behave this way?
    Mine does -- but not all of the time.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    I see the same problem trying to turn the unit back on again with the power button. THought it was just me. I do however map out the other buttons from turning on the 650 so I don't know if they act the same way.
    actually I don't think the cycle is on/off/off/on. I think when you turn it off it imediately gets busy "backing up" thus requiring a sec to be available to you the cycle is more like on/off /user patience/on
  5.    #5  
    patience? really? is 5 seconds enough? 10? more? how long do I have to wait? as far as I can tell it's forever unless I hit the button twice to bring the unit back to life

It seems some folks around here have an excuse for every flaw in this device.

Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    actually I don't think the cycle is on/off/off/on. I think when you turn it off it imediately gets busy "backing up" thus requiring a sec to be available to you the cycle is more like on/off /user patience/on
    Not an excuse... Mine only takes a second to be able to power on again. I had no idea that you were talking about 10 secs let alone forever
    My power switch acts normally unless I try to power back on in under a second after powering off. In that case only does it require an extra click. Sounds like somthing is wrong with your unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisutley
    patience? really? is 5 seconds enough? 10? more? how long do I have to wait? as far as I can tell it's forever unless I hit the button twice to bring the unit back to life

Yeah, it's buggy. Mine does it, yours does it, they all do it. If it's too much for you to stomach, just return it.

I'm hoping for an update from P1, but given their silence on obvious wide-scale issues (read: choppy audio) I am not holding my breath. Besides, we have Shadowmite and several other bright individuals as our free tech support!
    FWIW, mine does NOT have that behavior. Never has. I've only remapped one button (option-Calendar, to start PicoTrak), so maybe not remapping buttons has something to do with it. I can push the power button - once each time - as often as I want, and it powers on or off as expected. The other power-on-enabled buttons turn it on as expected too.
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    Mine doesn't do that either. However, I have noticed that the main app buttons are "stiff" and if you don't do a full press this can happen. It's not that it lags or is buggy, it's possible you didn't do a full press (these buttons require a much stiffer press than the 600).
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    dude - you come to this free website looking for free advice from people who are just here to help and who are doing their best to do so without your phone in their hands - then you criticize their response - chill out!
    Visor Deluxe/Visor Platinum/Visor Phone/Treo 180/Treo 270/Treo 300/Treo 650
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Mine does not do this either. Take it back if your not happy.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Sometimes mine does it. Most of the time time not. Try a soft reset, then a hard reset and then return it if those don't work.

Looks like its just your phone (snicker, snicker)
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I was wondering what was going on myself, but this is a very plausible explanation! It probably only happens sometimes because it only needs to backup if some of the databases have been modified and not yet backed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I was wondering what was going on myself, but this is a very plausible explanation! It probably only happens sometimes because it only needs to backup if some of the databases have been modified and not yet backed up.

Yes the first day or two I wanted to throw it, I thought my buttons were sparatic. Once I realized the skinny, its no big deal.
  17.    #17  
    It's not about backing up data, unless it backs stuff up when all I've done is turn the unit "on" and then "off" again.

It's not "stiff" buttons since it always happens in the same sequence.

I have not remapped any buttons.

It doesn't happen to all units as one bonehead suggested followed by a sarcastic "return it of you don't like it".

Thank you to those of you that provided useful feedback

Enough of the "return it" comments. I didn't come here to whine about the problem. All I did was ask if it is happening to other people. If you don't care to discuss flaws in this device, why not start a Treo 650 Fan Club forum where you can post pictures of your 650's and celebrate your purchases without the harsh light of reality getting in the way?
    No, all you did was ask your question, and then make an inflamatory comment when you didn't like the answer. If you really think this is the "Treo 650 Fan Club" then you haven't spent much time here.

"Return it" is sound advice, as it sounds like your unit is malfunctioning. That's what the warranty is for, after all.

And before you criticize other people's responses, take a second look at your own. And a third or fourth, if you still don't get it.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    All,

Just found this in the new documentation that I found on the 650. It explains the reason for this behavior!

Jeff

==========================
    Q24. Flushing database to flash when the device goes to sleep
    A. When the system goes to sleep / wakes up, it makes sure that database changes are
    committed to the flash part. The system, however, does not always sync the changes to the flash after it has
    notified all other registered applications about the sleep. The system could register for the sleep notification
    with priority 127 to make sure that all other applications get the notification before it does.
    See.... That's what I said

Also,
    In case you haven't switched to a PPC and are on some M$ support site wondering "what the F*** just happened" ... I noticed the issue was more annoying when I just synced from my 600. Doing a clean install made it much more zippy and responsive.
    Last edited by sxtg; 12/23/2004 at 12:41 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast