Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    When I press my calendar button, it goes to the today view, but when I press it again it stays on the today view instead of cycling through the week, month, year view. I had agendus installed, deleted and did hard reset, still no luck. Could not find answers elsewhere. Suggestions anyone?
    You aren't crazy...all 650s I have seen have the same behavior.

Another quirk to add to the files.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisutley
    This actually applies to the 4 main buttons: Talk, Calendar, Mail, Hang Up/Power

When I power off the unit using the Hang Up/Power key, the screen goes blank. The Treo is "off" so to speak, what I would expect. However, now when I click on any of the 4 buttons including the Hang Up/Power key, nothing happens. Nothing at all. It ALWAYS requires a second click to bring my Treo back to life. I can power off and hit the talk, calendar, mail, or power key - none of them will bring wake the Treo until I have hit the button TWO times.

I apologize for repeating myself here, just want to be crystal clear. This seems like odd behavior to me. I'd think the cycle would be on/off/on/off, not on/off/off/on. Get it? Do all 650's behave this way?
    and --- from Jeff Gibson

All,

Just found this in the new documentation that I found on the 650. It explains the reason for this behavior!

Jeff

==========================
    Q24. Flushing database to flash when the device goes to sleep
    A. When the system goes to sleep / wakes up, it makes sure that database changes are
    committed to the flash part. The system, however, does not always sync the changes to the flash after it has
    notified all other registered applications about the sleep. The system could register for the sleep notification
    with priority 127 to make sure that all other applications get the notification before it does.

----

Hello

I have been lurking for quite sometime and have decided to join today and answer this question. First, thanks for the wealth of information that so many of you are willing to share and for the rest of the support I have found here lately.

I have a new 650 that I received yesterday and that replaces my other 650 that was a nightmare.

It is important to say that I am not disagreeing with the information Jeff has furnished ( as quoted above) but pleasew note that although my previous 650 sounded terrible (to those on the other end listening to me or someone on my treo 650) that handset did not require "a second click to bring my Treo back to life".

i.e. My newest TREO 650 has the exact behavior as described in this thread but i have held other 650's that reponded immediately to being powered on, off and back on.

I owned a 650 that powered on and off and back on with no need to click twice so it i
    bump

i.e. My newest TREO 650 has the exact behavior as described in this thread but i have held other 650's that reponded immediately to being powered on, off and back on.

I owned a 650 that powered on and off and back on with no need to click twice so it it is not every 650 that has this issue. Remember, this occurs 100% of the time ( in the 650's that exhibit this behavior) even when one just hits the end/power key to check out if it wakes up the 650 as expected.

I respect the information furnished about backing up but many 650's Talk, Calendar, Mail, Hang Up/Power buttons are more responsive than this.

I will test the audo now that it is provisioned and that sprint pcs' 24 hour (holiday delay) programming seems to have finally rendered this unit capable of making a call.

Thanks again

Mike
    bump

Lastly, I did not mean to say "powered on and off", but i did mean to say "put to sleep" and awakened by hitting the power button repeatedly. This works on some 650's and on others one has to hit/click the power key an extra time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Produce Her
    and --- from Jeff Gibson

All,

Just found this in the new documentation that I found on the 650. It explains the reason for this behavior!

Jeff

==========================
    Q24. Flushing database to flash when the device goes to sleep
    A. When the system goes to sleep / wakes up, it makes sure that database changes are
    committed to the flash part. The system, however, does not always sync the changes to the flash after it has
    notified all other registered applications about the sleep. The system could register for the sleep notification
    with priority 127 to make sure that all other applications get the notification before it does.

----

Hello

I have been lurking for quite sometime and have decided to join today and answer this question. First, thanks for the wealth of information that so many of you are willing to share and for the rest of the support I have found here lately.

I have a new 650 that I received yesterday and that replaces my other 650 that was a nightmare.

It is important to say that I am not disagreeing with the information Jeff has furnished ( as quoted above) but pleasew note that although my previous 650 sounded terrible (to those on the other end listening to me or someone on my treo 650) that handset did not require "a second click to bring my Treo back to life".

I owned a 650 that powered on and off and back on with no need to click twice so it i
    If the information I found is true, people's experiences may and probably will vary based on the amount of unflushed data in memory at any single point in time. If you have been doing web surfing or reading lots of emails, it may take longer to flush than if you were making phone calls. Just a guess on my part though. I have also seen data corruption after resets which leads me to believe that there is some asynchronous data movement happening when the power is shutoff that does not happen fully when you get a reset.????

Jeff
    Try this: just hit the red phone power button repeatedly and quickly. My screen will turn on and then off on the next press, and then I can hit the button a bunch of times before the screen comes back on. The slower I go, the fewer times I press the button before the screen comes back on. If I time it just right, I can make it 2 clicks But it's only 2-3 seconds in any case between turn off and turn on time.

I've noticed the behavior before, and noticed it gets better after a hard reset. So, I believe it's making sure data is flushed to flash before sleeping. The routine may need some optimization, but 2-3 seconds doesn't bother me, becuase I don't often sleep the Treo and then need it again within 2-3 seconds (I do sometimes accidentally hit the button though!).

If it's longer than 2-3 seconds for you, you might have corruption in your own data (sync/backup and hard reset to find out) or your flash memory might be corrupted itself. Doesn't sound like a design feature to me.
    I came to this thread after my wife's device started exhibiting similar weird behavior -- coming home tonight, she couldn't get it to come on at all. After we reset it, we noticed this weird problem with buttons, as one person said "on/off/off/on." Then I noticed a similar pattern with my own 650. So it's got something to do with the flash memory? OK, I can live with that, I think.

I'm wondering two other things about power buttons: how come the "home" button doesn't work like a power button? I have to turn the device on, then select "home" to get to the programs. Seems like that'd be a good one to have power up. And, with the T300, the "alt-buttons" worked like power buttons, too --- you could press "alt+a button" and the device would power up in that app.

I'm just wondering if anybody's found a way to make either of those functions work as described.

Thanks,

--PS
    Paul Schatzkin
    http://49chevy.com
    "The difficult we do right away, the impossible takes slightly longer." --Philo T. Farnsworth
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I must be an chronic early adopter: First a Palm Pilot, then a Palm V, a Treo 300, and now the Treo 650...(my, THAT was a long time ago!)
    Quote Originally Posted by driver49
    I came to this thread after my wife's device started exhibiting similar weird behavior -- coming home tonight, she couldn't get it to come on at all. After we reset it, we noticed this weird problem with buttons, as one person said "on/off/off/on." Then I noticed a similar pattern with my own 650. So it's got something to do with the flash memory? OK, I can live with that, I think.

I'm wondering two other things about power buttons: how come the "home" button doesn't work like a power button? I have to turn the device on, then select "home" to get to the programs. Seems like that'd be a good one to have power up. And, with the T300, the "alt-buttons" worked like power buttons, too --- you could press "alt+a button" and the device would power up in that app.

I'm just wondering if anybody's found a way to make either of those functions work as described.

Thanks,

--PS
    My application PowerUp will do custom application launching after a reset and after any power up.

Its in my developer forum here at TC: PowerUp Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12