Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Read entire post before even touching any of the files.

[Mod Edit: Link to ROM files removed]

Shadowmite's instructions:
    1) You must have a SD card reader/writer for your computer
    1a) Insert your SD card
    1b) Change the name of your palm folder if present to bak or whatever other than palm
    1c) Copy the palm and rom folders inside the zip file onto the root directory of your card
    1d) When finished with Faisal's instructions please delete the new folders you added and rename your palm folder back.

INSTRUCTIONS AS POSTED BY FAISAL:
    1. IMPORTANT!!! Plug your device into the charger first. Hot sync if you have not already. Remember. At the end of this, you will have to hard reset your device, so you will lose everything on it.
    2. When you put the card in the SD slot, it should default to the "Card" applications menu.
    3. Tap the ROMUpdater app. It will take you to a screen with a lot of text.
    4. Type "rev cvt2" (no quotes). Hit the return key.
    5. Type "ace" (no quotes). Hit the return key.
    6. After the flash is complete, it will say, "PLEASE HARD RESET YOUR DEVICE". Here is how you do it:
    a) Remove the battery cover and use the stylus to do a pin reset, located on the left side of the battery.
    b) Quickly look at the LCD. You will see a bar moving from left to right. Before it reaches about midpoint on the bottom of the screen, press and hold down the RED phone button until you see the Palm logo.
    c) When you see the Palm logo (the moving bar is gone), release the RED phone button. You will be prompted to press the up button to erase all of your data. Please do so.
    7. Follow the steps to recalibrate your touch screen.
    8. You are done! Re-sync your data and turn on your radio by pressing and holding the RED phone button.

Now to modifying your own ROM (OPTIONAL and not for the faint hearted, you can just flash with one of the ROMs posted by Shadowmite):
    Few notes first,
    * First do not delete all the MM files, some of them are needed for the SD card.
    * Verizon hacked phones are a problem at this time, be careful.
    * If your ROM flash fails DO NOT DO a hard reset BEFORE you re-flash with the original ROM. You could lose your phone to an eternal hard reset loop if you do not have a functional ROM before you hard reset.
    * The ace-palmos.zip size cannot be over 6.8mb or something very close to that

Instructions by SaliRace
    1) Start with a known working version of the ROM
    2) Unzip the file ace-palmos.zip to another working folder on your desktop
    3) Remove any .PRC files and any other files related to the program you are trying to delete. (BE VERY CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU DELETE), I recommend starting with one of Shadowmites ROM updates as he has stripped most to the bare bone. Add any PRC files you wish to include in the ROM remember the size cannot exceed 6.8 mb.
    4) Open up the boot.conf file in a text editor (used Word and it worked fine or better yet NOTEPAD) and remove any db= references to the files you just deleted. This stops the boot file from looking for those programs, which would otherwise cause it to stick in a reset loop. Add the db="new prc you just included in the ace-palmos.zip" without "". NOTE: not all PRC files can be loaded into ROM, esp those who will modify its size after entering serial number (Patched apps or apps that save the serial number info on RAM are fine, research this in other threads before you add you fav prc file).
    5) Save this new boot.conf file and overwrite the old one
    6) Use WINZIP (or something equivelant) to re-zip the folder an name it the same ace-palmos.zip
    7) Using an MD5 checksum utility (available here as an attachment), run a checksum on the new ace-palmos.zip, open the file named ace-palmos.zip.md5 again with NOTEPAD, paste the NEW checksum value with the new value given by the MD5.
    8) Copy the Palm and ROM folders to your SD card (After renaming the existing PALM folder if it exists), and run the updater. If the checksum utility did not create the right totals, it will tell you so, and will no update. Therefore, do not worry if you are not very comfortable with the MD5 utility, it gives some room to experiment.
    Follow the instructions by shadowmite and Faisal above, then a hard reset when prompted to do so (ONLY HARD RESET IF YOU WERE ABLE TO FLASH THE ROM WITH NO ERRORS, if you get any errors re-flash with original ROM available at shadowmite's website).

Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility if something you change within your system causes your Treo to stop functioning. This process has worked for many, but this is a powerful tool, and there are many opportunities to screw something up if you are not careful.
    Treoing & Loving it
    I'm wondering if those who are modifying their ROM's will have any problems when Palm releases updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by AZGT
    I'm wondering if those who are modifying their ROM's will have any problems when Palm releases updates?

The updates will overide thier custom roms, at which point shadow may or may not be able to extract the new files from the update allowing them to customize again (with the included update). If he can however, that customizing will be much more difficult for the general public to perform.
    My guess is, where there's a will, there's a way. I have a feeling someone (shadow or others) will find a way of getting hold of the new ROM update and extract the useful from the useless. But what do i know.

There may be a way already with the ROM update, to reverse the process and reed the ROM files off of the device. If there is, it would be simple to reverse engineer any Palm updates.
    Has anyone messed around with the Versamail ROM files to see if we can delete anything more than the two main files that say "Multimail"? I'm trying to get one more program installed to have my ideal ROM, but I don't have quite enough space. Any ideas?
    Okay, I got it to work, and I think I've finally to my ideal ROM. Snappermail, Handzipper, Golf Score and Ultrasoft Money have been added while Versamail and all the Sprint stuff is gone. They all work perfectly from ROM (so far). Obviously, I can't give away the ROM itself since they're my registered programs, but if anyone needs any help just PM or e-mail me. I'll continue lurking and helping out where I can on the threads. My expertise is VERY limited, but I'm having fun messing with this stuff. Good luck all ROM updaters!!
    I am a registered user of snapper and us money and want to make a rom with them. Did you put the regular prc's in the rom or did you patch them?
    Question on the ROM updates...

Will they programs be able to sync with the computer? Example, Pocket Tunes... That has the interface with Windows Media Player, will that function still work? Snappermail, will that still store messages on the SD card?
    Also, by removing crap installed by sprint/palmone will we enlarge the amout of avail. memory for other programs? Or is it just making the amout of the ROM used smaller?
    If I install the Shadowmite ROM update that has the new DUN included, does this take away any functionality of Bluetooth such as syncing? Basically, I am looking for any "gotchas" or functionality reductions with using the new DUN ROM patch using Shadowmite's ROM package.

Thanks!
    --
    Grant Gochnauer
    Treo 650 Owner
    http://www.gochnauer.org
    all i want is a rom with versamail, realplayer & allt the downloads, bc, etc stuf gone. I can add my own stuff. anyone have that rom please?
    I recommend waiting for a product that supports installing in Flash (like JackSprat) rather than fiddling with system ROM images. This is risky and IMO not worth ending up with a dead unit with an invalidated warranty.

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by silverado; 12/21/2004 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    all i want is a rom with versamail, realplayer & allt the downloads, bc, etc stuf gone. I can add my own stuff. anyone have that rom please?
    I'll do it if you take that off your cat's head, and reshoot your avatar pic!

Give me a couple hours and I'll put it on my site...
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I am a registered user of snapper and us money and want to make a rom with them. Did you put the regular prc's in the rom or did you patch them?
    I used a patched version of Snappermail, but the US money was a standard PRC. US money will allow you to enter the registration, even if it's in ROM. I never tried with Snapper (I was told it wouldn't work originally), so you may want to give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinjack
    Question on the ROM updates...

Will they programs be able to sync with the computer? Example, Pocket Tunes... That has the interface with Windows Media Player, will that function still work? Snappermail, will that still store messages on the SD card?
    Pocket Tunes doesn't work in ROM, so that's not an issue. Snappermail is working completely normally, including storing stuff on a card. I think any other programs will have to be tried on a case by case basis.
    Shadowmite, let me know if you get brave enough to remove something other than the two main Versamail files. I noticed there are still references to Versamail in other programs (such as when you hit "send" in the drop-down menu of the photo album, it asks if you want to use Versamail, even though it's no longer installed). Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I recommend waiting for a product that supports installing in Flash (like JackSprat) rather than fiddling with system ROM images. This is risky and IMO not worth ending up with a dead unit with an invalidated warranty.

Just my $0.02.
    I understand your opinion, but without removing stuff from the current ROM image, you don't really have much space to use a program like JackSprat anyway...
    Last edited by brickjr; 12/21/2004 at 04:08 PM.
    Nah, I just removed the two... It's up, but I can't test it yet. I'm sure it's fine but I just wanted to mention that. I'll also try to make one that still has real player which several people have asked for...
    Quote Originally Posted by brickjr
    I understand your opinion, but without removing stuff from the current ROM image, you don't really have much space to use a program like JackSprat anyway...
    Well, I didn't make myself clear. JackSprat is supposed to delete things from Flash while JackFlash can be used to install to Flash. In reality, however, I don't expect them to support the 650 any time soon.
    Shadowmite,

two questions please

If I wanted to add Datebk5 could I remove the calendar?

I am confused with the boot.conf. If I wanted to add say datebk5 to it what would it look like? I don't quite understand the .oprc in the boot.conf file. They look something like this; BlazerApp_Device_enUS.oprc
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast