1.    #1  
    www.versaforward.com this looks very promising. But I have to run it on a computer that is always on. I'm wondering if there is any hosted solution that checks my pop3 accounts every 1-5 minutes, and then forwards that message to my phone sms. Using treohelper I would have that sms message trigger a fetch from versamail or snappermail.

Fastmail.fm has pop retrieval but only every hour.
  2.    #2  
    just read through their faq I sent an email to ask. I'll let you know what they say. Does my computer need to be on for VersaForward to work?

Yes. VersaForward runs on your computer to forward messages. If you are interested in VersaForward Service that does not require your computer, please email support@vermalt.com for more information
    I think Aileron does push for POP too..
    I have versaforward and really love it. If you do a search on these forums you will find a few of my posts about it. I think they have a service that will do it for you so you dont have to leave your computer on, put its VERY pricey (at least it was a couple months ago when I checked it out). I don't recall the name of the site that used their technology to do it, but maybe someone could post it here.

Also, if your ISP (or whatever email address you use) has mail forwarding, why dont you forward your mail to fastmail, then have fastmail SMS you. I used to to this with comcast and got my sms within a minute of someone sending me an email.

Jeff
    If you can forward your mail, why not forward directly to your phone? Seems like adding in fastmail is just an extra step.

I'm not sure about other carriers, but with Verizon, sending to phonenumber@vtext.com or alias@vtext.com sends the email to your phone as a text message.
    Just note that SMS (which is text messaging) is limited to text (no attachments or html), has a limit of 160 characters and is charged separate from the data package on Verizon.

So forwarding full messages to phonenumber@vtext.com will only work for short, text email. You can use it though to notify you when you have real email or set 3rd party apps to autolaunch your mail program.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone
    www.versaforward.com this looks very promising. But I have to run it on a computer that is always on. I'm wondering if there is any hosted solution that checks my pop3 accounts every 1-5 minutes, and then forwards that message to my phone sms. Using treohelper I would have that sms message trigger a fetch from versamail or snappermail.

Fastmail.fm has pop retrieval but only every hour.
    There's a small app called Email Notify that does this:

http://www.dogspots.com/emailnotify/

EMail Notify is a small e-mail client for Windows that will monitor your inbox and send an alert to any e-mail address when new messages arrive. It has been tested with Exchange Server 5.5, but it should work with other servers as well. It is useful for sending alerts to a cell phone, pager or pda. It has a delay that when set will only send alerts if a message sits untouched for a certain length of time. This eliminates the need to turn alerts on and off when you come and go from your desk; an alert will not be sent if a message is manually handled on the desktop before the delay has passed. It also has a schedule feature to limit alerts so that they are only sent during certain times of the day.

I created this program because I was disappointed with the e-mail options for my new Treo 300. I needed something that could read the mail on my Exchange Server and would alert me when new mail came in. I started using Sprint Business Connection and when it was working it did exactly what I needed, but it proved to be unreliable. Most of the time it would fail to actually send alerts and the dates in the Treo client would always get messed up. Then the alerts would always seem to start working when I was at my desk actually reading mail on my desktop computer. I thought about turning off the alerts when I was at my desk, but I was afraid I would never get them working again. Finally, I decided to give up on Business Connection altogether; I tried several e-mail clients and settled on SnapperMail. SnapperMail works great, but it doesn't have a way to alert me to e-mail as soon as it arrives; it can only check on a schedule. EMail Notify allows me to use whatever e-mail client I choose and still get alerts whenever I get a new message..
    Last edited by Gaurav; 12/21/2004 at 03:48 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    If you can forward your mail, why not forward directly to your phone? Seems like adding in fastmail is just an extra step.

I'm not sure about other carriers, but with Verizon, sending to phonenumber@vtext.com or alias@vtext.com sends the email to your phone as a text message.
    For most people this would be adding in a needed extra step (unless you are willing to have a computer always on to handle the sms fwd). As has been mentioned, if you fwd your e-mail to your sms address, it will be (usually) cut off after 160 characters. Also something else to keep in mind is that if your message to your phone is cut off after 160 characters, it will also often bounce back to the original sender of the message (this happens with sprint).

Once you get it set up, fastmail (with snappermail) works great. I have fastmail set up to poll my pop mail and whenever I get a new message, fastmail automatically sends an sms (free to cell carriers e-mail address) which treohelper then intercepts. Once treohelper intercepts the sms it has snappermail automatically poll (via pop or IMAP) fastmail.

I have now pretty much replaced all my throw away hotmail addresses with gmail (free e-mail fwding) so fastmail gets them within a second or two.
  9.    #9  
    Fastmail only polls every hour. I have versaforward polling every 1 min. more like push mail.

Also, in versaforward you can limit it to 160 characters and it compresses things like and to & in emails to sms. It does a bunch of compresses that fits more of the email in the sms. Also I have it to forward the email to sms with a tag saying it's from my yahoo account. this is the trigger i have for treohelper to launch and fetch in versamail.

i would love fastmail if it would fetch more often than 1 hour.
    Yes, that's quite true. Although fastmail can also do all those things you mentioned it's one (important) limitation is that you can only poll as often as 1 hour. If you need the polling to occur more often than this then versaforward or (free) Email Notify are probably better solutions. Although it's not a must for me, I also wish that fastmail would poll more often than once an hour.
    If you are going to have a computer on, why do you need this? I am going to use Outlook (which polls every 5 minutes for my POP mail) send me an SMS message when an email arrives. Then I know I need to do a get. I suppose I could also have outlook forward the message as an SMS message to see the beginning of it. Using this method, you can also keep SPAM and less important message under control by only forwarding messages that make it into your inbox (vs. junk mail) or messages from people in your address book.
  12.    #12  
    i have a laptop of which outlook isn't always open. I have versaforward on a desktop at home that is always on. so far, it's a pretty cool solution.