Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Today, my father and I experienced one of the most baffling examples of terrible customer service either of us have ever been subjected to while trying to resolve an issue with an order from Dan’s Cellular Accessories. I’m going to try to minimize the editorializing. Dan’s emails speak for themselves…

Last week, I emailed Dan to ask him if and when he would have the Treo 650 travel charger and cradle in stock, and I also pointed out that he was listing the combo home/car charger for the Treo 600 under the Treo 650 accessory category on his site, which I assumed was an error. He did respond to my first question, but did not address the second one, and the Treo 600 charger is still listed as a Treo 650 accessory on his site today.

My father has just purchased a Treo 650 as well – his first foray into the Treo line. He had asked me about accessories, and I referred him to Dan’s site based on my own positive experience in the past and that of others here. Unfortunately, my dad saw the Treo 600 travel charger listed as an accessory for the Treo 650, and mistakenly ordered it thinking that if Dan was listing it for the Treo 650, it would be compatible. When he emailed me and told me he’d purchased it, I immediately wrote him back and told him he needed to try to cancel that item. He sent an email asking that this item be removed from his order – he still was purchasing a side case and extra battery from him:

Quote Originally Posted by my father
    Please cancel this item from my order. My son informs me that this tiem is listed incorrectly on Ebay as compatible with the Treo 650 when it works only with the 600. I am interested in this and the cradle for the 650 when they are available, but only if they will fit the Treo 650.
    I also emailed Dan telling him that I was a past customer who’d referred my father to his site and explained the error:

Quote Originally Posted by me
    I refered my dad, who just got the Treo 650, to your site for his accessory needs. As it turns out, he was confused by the very issue I mentioned, and has mistakenly ordered the car/travel charger combo for the Treo 600 because you have it listed as a Treo 650 accessory. His email is rrodgers@xxxxx.com. I'd really appreciate it if you could take care of canceling that item on his order as soon as possible. Also, could you please remove the links to that accessory from that portion of the site, so that others don't make the same mistake?
    I honestly expected it to be a non-issue.

This morning, my father received the following:

Why should i pay for your mistake? If you were paying retail i would not worry about it but you are paying next to nothing and you don't want to be a mature adult and pay for your error? That's simply is NOT right. Any seller would request you pay for your errors.
    And I received:

That auction says NOTHING about TReo 650. I suggest you guys *slow* down and review what your buying first. Also eBay is NOT FREE and they charge me fees for these errors that needs to be paid.
    While I understand his point about the fees, and that yes, my father misread the auction, the mistake was caused just as much by Dan listing it incorrectly as a Treo 650 accessory. I wrote back and pointed out that it was an honest mistake, and people make mistakes – including Dan, who had listed it incorrectly. His response to me was:

ok don't pay me for your error! Anybody else would. This issue is closed thanks for costing me money..
    He then responded to this same email once again saying:

Full refund has been issue and you are block from anymore business on our ebay site. Who the f*&(_ do you think you are? MY RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELF AND YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO COLLEGE AND LEARN A SIMPLE RULE. YOU MAKE A ERROR BE *MAN* ENOUGH TO AMIT IT!!!!!
    He also responded to my father’s response:

GET A LIFE AND GO RIP OFF SOMEONE ELSE FOR YOUR STUIDITY!
    And then:

I am NOT SELLING YOU NOTHING I WILL ISSUE YOU A FULL REFUND! What is your paypal email address. Don't bother me again i will file Internet harassment charges with your local police dept!
    And finally:

You are a BABY! GO AWAY!
    I’ve never seen anything quite like this. What’s most baffling is that this whole thing is over what can’t be more than about $2.00 in fees for a guy who’s sold over 20,000 items. And my dad had two other items he still wanted, which Dan is now refusing to sell to him! I’ve never been in a situation where a businessman has gone on this sort of a rant against a customer. And for the record, we wouldn’t have asked him to cancel the item if it had been solely my father’s error. I think that since that was caused by Dan’s listing error, it was perfectly reasonable to ask that he cancel the auction. What’s more, Dan claims to have a no hassle return policy, so canceling the mistaken order shouldn’t have been a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan’s site
    Here at dans_cellular_accessories we have a no hassle return policy, If for any reason you are not happy with our product, You simply return it with a letter stating the reason for your return and we will be more than happy to refund you.
    Has anyone else experienced anything like this from him? I had always seen positive recommendations of him here, and had a good experience with him myself purchasing a Treo 600 accessory. I was happy to recommend him to others as a good source for accessories. Clearly, now, that has changed. I can’t recommend doing business with anyone who treats customers in such an unprofessional manner.
    Last edited by bkrodgers; 12/21/2004 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Added text of our emails
    Wow...he must be having PMS this week...

I remember the early days of Dan's on the net...he was actually rated very poorly back then. Today he definitely seems to have improved his credibility record...you don't get that amount of positive feedback out of thin air. Granted, I think most of the positive ratings are more a reflection of his very competitive prices than of customer service. After all if a transaction goes well it will be all business, no customer service needed.

So you stumbled upon the exception where a transaction was messed up. And I agree....his response is ugly...not even in proportion to the issue I'd say.

That said, I will no doubt continue to buy from him as long as his prices stay this competitive. But thanks to your post I will probably do another double-take in researching the item sold before committing!
    I have made one purchase from Dan's, and all went smooth. I see that Dan's lists himself as an eBay "Square Trade" participent. I suggest you file a complaint with the Square Trade folks to see if this issue can be resolved in a suitable way for both yourself, your father and Dan's.

CGordonn
  4.    #4  
    The issue itself is resolved, so to speak. He refused to fulfill *any* of my father's orders and refunded the entire payment. What's so odd is that this whole thing started when he was complaining about $2 in ebay fees. But by refusing to fulfill the other two auctions, he lost even MORE in ebay fees.

I do understand that his prices are remarkable, and I'm not necessarily trying to trash his business. In fact, earlier in the issue (prior to "Who the f*&(_ do you think you are?") I was still thinking I might order from him again -- only if he was the only one offering it at that price. Of course, he's since told me "you are block from anymore business on our ebay site." If you're comfortable ordering from him, that's fine, but I do want everyone to know how he treats customers, becuase it is NOT right.
    Do you have the auction number of the item in question? I would be curious to see the auction details.

CGordonn
    The spectre of negative feedback haunts us all. If we leave negative feedback for someone, they will 'get back at us' with negative feedback whether deserved or not.
  7.    #7  
    I don't have the auction number handy, but I'll try to find it. It is true that the auction doesn't mention the Treo 650. But it *is* listed in his "Treo 650 Accessories" section:

http://stores.ebay.com/Dans-Cellular...0-Acccessories

There are 5 separate auctions, on pages 2 and 3. The only reason my dad ordered it is because it was listed repeatedly as a Treo 650 accessory.
    Ole Dan seems to have a short fuse. I too had an exchange with him when he was wrong. After fuming some, he came around and admitted his fault, and on top of that, gave me a little something in compensation. But, that doen't really excuse him. BTW, just bought a BT headset from him (how smart am I?). Hope I don't end up posting another chapter of Dan tirades.
    Wierd.. I bought a headphone adapter and a bunch of other stuff from Dan's...

The headphone adapter was defective. I sent Dan an email... I thought maybe I wouldn't hear anything back.. Most ebay sellers are pretty bad at responding...

Anyway.. He sent me out another headphone adapter and didn't ask for the original back...

It does seem kind of weird..especially given his return policy...

Maybe he had a bad day?? Stress from a lot of bad holiday orders?? hhmm
  10.    #10  
    Stress is one thing. "Who the f*&(_ do you think you are?" is another...
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    Wierd.. I bought a headphone adapter and a bunch of other stuff from Dan's...

The headphone adapter was defective. I sent Dan an email... I thought maybe I wouldn't hear anything back.. Most ebay sellers are pretty bad at responding...

Anyway.. He sent me out another headphone adapter and didn't ask for the original back...

It does seem kind of weird..especially given his return policy...

Maybe he had a bad day?? Stress from a lot of bad holiday orders?? hhmm
    Recently brought extra battery, case etc from him . He sent the wrong case, notified him, he sent the right case without a question , did not ask for the wrong case back.

Today I emailed him about trying to get something overnighted b4 xmas , he was honest enough to explain he was to busy to get it done, most people would take the order and not ship.

Sorry to hear of your problems, but I have nothing to say bad about the guy.
    Last edited by sjjones; 12/20/2004 at 10:05 PM.
    Me either, I ordered a few Treo 600 accessories, no problems. One thing to remember, E-bay is at best a usually good business that runs with very few rules of engagement. By itself, that is amazing.

Brian
    Thanks for the warning, im staying away.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    Stress is one thing. "Who the f*&(_ do you think you are?" is another...
    Yeah... I probably wouldn't buy from him if he did that to me...
    Then again..he is real cheap..... I'd be really careful anyway

BTW..BK..didn't you used to have an i500 or i330 or something? I remember seeing your name from some other cell phone forum...
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    Today, my father and I experienced one of the most baffling examples of terrible customer service either of us have ever been subjected to while trying to resolve an issue with an order from Dan’s Cellular Accessories. I’m going to try to minimize the editorializing. Dan’s emails speak for themselves…

Last week, I emailed Dan to ask him if and when he would have the Treo 650 travel charger and cradle in stock, and I also pointed out that he was listing the combo home/car charger for the Treo 600 under the Treo 650 accessory category on his site, which I assumed was an error. He did respond to my first question, but did not address the second one, and the Treo 600 charger is still listed as a Treo 650 accessory on his site today.

My father has just purchased a Treo 650 as well – his first foray into the Treo line. He had asked me about accessories, and I referred him to Dan’s site based on my own positive experience in the past and that of others here. Unfortunately, my dad saw the Treo 600 travel charger listed as an accessory for the Treo 650, and mistakenly ordered it thinking that if Dan was listing it for the Treo 650, it would be compatible. When he emailed me and told me he’d purchased it, I immediately wrote him back and told him he needed to try to cancel that item. He sent an email asking that this item be removed from his order – he still was purchasing a side case and extra battery from him. I also emailed Dan telling him that I was a past customer who’d referred my father to his site and explained the error (including the fact that it was caused by the mistake in listing). I honestly expected it to be a non-issue.

This morning, my father received the following:

And I received:

While I understand his point about the fees, and that yes, my father misread the auction, the mistake was caused just as much by Dan listing it incorrectly as a Treo 650 accessory. I wrote back and pointed out that it was an honest mistake, and people make mistakes – including Dan, who had listed it incorrectly. His response to me was:

He then responded to this same email once again saying:

He also responded to my father’s response:

And then:

And finally:

I’ve never seen anything quite like this. What’s most baffling is that this whole thing is over what can’t be more than about $2.00 in fees for a guy who’s sold over 20,000 items. And my dad had two other items he still wanted, which Dan is now refusing to sell to him! I’ve never been in a situation where a businessman has gone on this sort of a rant against a customer. And for the record, we wouldn’t have asked him to cancel the item if it had been solely my father’s error. I think that since that was caused by Dan’s listing error, it was perfectly reasonable to ask that he cancel the auction. What’s more, Dan claims to have a no hassle return policy, so canceling the mistaken order shouldn’t have been a problem.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this from him? I had always seen positive recommendations of him here, and had a good experience with him myself purchasing a Treo 600 accessory. I was happy to recommend him to others as a good source for accessories. Clearly, now, that has changed. I can’t recommend doing business with anyone who treats customers in such an unprofessional manner.
    There must be more to this, whats the chance your emails "set him off" any chance of seeing, yours or your fathers email to him, theres always 2 sides?
    maybe he's lost his mind... gonna change the name to "crazy dan's cellular" and this is just the start of his new gimmick... seriously, you didn't include *your* emails (verbatum) which is the standards method for the displaying of an email discourse... I am NOT suggesting that you said something to **** him off... honestly I think it is either an employee (perhaps one who has been "taking the pot") or he is soooo overworked and tired of t650 people that you got all his frustrations...
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattTarr
    maybe he's lost his mind... gonna change the name to "crazy dan's cellular" and this is just the start of his new gimmick...
    lol, yeah.

I'll edit the above to include our emails to him once my dad finishes forwarding me what he sent. I don't think there's anything in there that would explain it.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    Yeah... I probably wouldn't buy from him if he did that to me...
    Then again..he is real cheap..... I'd be really careful anyway

BTW..BK..didn't you used to have an i500 or i330 or something? I remember seeing your name from some other cell phone forum...
    Yup, i300 and i330 prior to the Treo 600 and Treo 650. I remember your name from the old sphi300.com.

-Brian
    Dan sounds like the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfled in regards to his store. Maybe we should call him "Dan the Treo Nazi" or something.

Anyway, I have also bought items from him in the past. His prices are cheap and he sells lots OEM accessories. If the transactions are smooth and uneventful, then you usually have no worries. But if there's a problem, Dan can be a real arsehole...

Anyway, I've recently found that Dan's prices are not nearly as different as other ebay sellers prices. If you don't want to deal with him b.c of his shiity CS, there are other options out there...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The common rule of Ebay is "read the listing" and "know what you are bidding on". The responsibility for those things lies with the buyer.

Even though Dan miscategorized the parts your dad ordered, it was up to your dad to understand what he was bidding on. Categories on ebay are weak indicators of what the auction is at best. Thats why there is a description.

Here's a couple things from the item you mentioned.

Title of auction: Treo 600 OEM Car & Travel Charger Combo NEW!
    Picture is clearly a 600 not a 650
    From the description in the auction itself:
    Compatible with: Treo 600, 300, 270, 180, 90
    We also have the car charger,Travel charger,A/C charger,USB cables,keyboards and handsfree plantronics in stock for the Handspring Treo 600.These are all Original OEM items. You can view these items by clicking the*store* logo and clicking on *Treo 600*.

No insult to you or your dad but anyone who can read English could see that this was not for the 650.

Now I am not saying Dan was right for ripping you guys a new one in his emails (would like to see all of both sides), but clearly the mistake was on your side. In Dan's defense lots of people try to scam sellers on ebay and it gets damn tiring (I sell there too) and we have very little patience for people who dont hold up their end of things from any standpoint. You got a full refund. Be happy about it.

I buy from Dan and will continue to do so, and I will continue to recommend him.

Next time read the listing before you bid!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast