Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I've ordered from Dan a few times and have no complaints. I admit his tone was off and he may have lacked a little professionalism but we still have not seen the original message from the purchaser. No one is perfect each and every time. This is the holiday season and no telling how many disgrunted customers he has to deal with, for what ever reason.

So show a little grace and let it go or just don't do business with him. Personally, I think it is lacking to post a destroying email about someone and their business on the Web when I'm sure he is just doing what he can.

I'm still ordering from him and if there is a problem, I'll deal with it privately.

Just my 2.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    So show a little grace and let it go or just don't do business with him. Personally, I think it is lacking to post a destroying email about someone and their business on the Web when I'm sure he is just doing what he can.

I'm still ordering from him and if there is a problem, I'll deal with it privately.
    Posts like BKs are what makes the internet better then real life. It is much quicker/easier to find scammers and stores with horrible customer service. It is also easier to find great stores. You are doing a disservice to your fellow shoppers by not informing them of Great or Bad service from a retailer.

I'm grateful that BK posted his experience with Dan's Cellular. It will make me think twice about ordering from him. I may still order, depending on how lucky I feel or the prices, but at least I know what I may be getting into when I order.

On the other side of things, another thing to think about is that many eBay sellers are not experienced retailers. They don't know how to deal with customers. They are just out there to sell anonymously as a part time job, without much customer service experience.

Most people familiar with retail know that the customer is mostly right. You should treat everyone with courtesy, etc. We have no idea who Dan or the person who responded to you is? A kid? Someone who doesn't deal with any people in person in his "day" job? You assume that he knows good retailing practices, when his only experience may be on eBay.
    I also had a problem. I purchased a car charger for a treo 600 from Dan. The very second I plugged it in, the charger blew out my treo. The device would not accept another charge and remained an inactive, blank screen. The treo was working (and charging) fine until I tried Dan's charger. Luckily, I had acquired the treo through work. Our IT guy took one look at it and declared it DOA. I got a new car charger from the Treo store and have charged my new treo hundreds of times from the same outlet with no mishap. I resisted the impulse to try Dan's charger on the second treo.

Dan refused to acknowledge responsibility, but he did refund my money once I sent the charger back. I didn't press the issue because I wasn't out of pocket. The story would have had an entirely different ending if it had been my personal device.

I'm not advising anyone to not use Dan, just sharing my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsnotchicken
    I also had a problem. I purchased a car charger for a treo 600 from Dan. The very second I plugged it in, the charger blew out my treo. The device would not accept another charge and remained an inactive, blank screen. The treo was working (and charging) fine until I tried Dan's charger. Luckily, I had acquired the treo through work. Our IT guy took one look at it and declared it DOA. I got a new car charger from the Treo store and have charged my new treo hundreds of times from the same outlet with no mishap. I resisted the impulse to try Dan's charger on the second treo.

Dan refused to acknowledge responsibility, but he did refund my money once I sent the charger back. I didn't press the issue because I wasn't out of pocket. The story would have had an entirely different ending if it had been my personal device.

I'm not advising anyone to not use Dan, just sharing my experience.

It sounds you got one of those older car chargers that were sold with the assumption that they were compatible with the all Treo 270/300/600. However PalmOne later released an advisory that not all older Treo 270/300 car chargers were compatible with the Treo 600:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(28393)

Solution ID: 28393

Compatibility of Sprint Treo 300 Vehicle Power Adapter (Treo 600)

Some units of the Sprint Treo 300 Vehicle Power Adapter (VPA, sometimes called a car light adapter) are not compatible with the Treo 600 smartphone. If you obtained your VPA after late 2003, it should work with a Treo 600; if you obtained it before then, it may not be compatible.
    Thus if it was an older Sprint or Handspring branded charger, then it would not have really been Dan's fault since this was a manufacturers issue. Anyway, just being the devil's advocate here....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    Posts like BKs are what makes the internet better then real life. It is much quicker/easier to find scammers and stores with horrible customer service. It is also easier to find great stores. You are doing a disservice to your fellow shoppers by not informing them of Great or Bad service from a retailer.

I'm grateful that BK posted his experience with Dan's Cellular. It will make me think twice about ordering from him. I may still order, depending on how lucky I feel or the prices, but at least I know what I may be getting into when I order.
    Thanks mogul, I appreciate that. That's really all I was aiming for by posting. I don't have a problem with anyone who decides to buy from him after reading this. I just want people to be informed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    The common rule of Ebay is "read the listing" and "know what you are bidding on". The responsibility for those things lies with the buyer.
    That's true of eBay. Unfortunately, this "incident" involved more than just eBay, it involved the seller's web site as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Even though Dan miscategorized the parts your dad ordered, it was up to your dad to understand what he was bidding on. Categories on ebay are weak indicators of what the auction is at best. Thats why there is a description.
    Well put, and accurately so. Dan misrepresented his eBay listing as being a Treo 650 accessory. While his father should have been able to read the listing, he might also have assumed that because the link from the Dan's own website pointed to this product as a Treo 650 accessory, that it would also fit the 650. Maybe he assumed that the 650 was just so new, the listing hadn't been updated. Personally, I would have checked, but to blame this all on the dad is hardly fair. Clearly, Dan bore some of the responsibility, especially in light of the fact that he had been notified of the error on his website.
    Ok, lets face it. Dan's not the saint that so many think he is. Back in the days of my Sanyo 4900, I purchased from Dan the extended battery. In my case, it wasnt "buyer beware" but "you get what you pay for."
    Dans cheap prices are what attracted me to him (I dont mean in the physical sense) in the first place. That battery did NOT fit my phone. From the looks of it, it resembled a 4900 extended battery, but it wouldnt have fit a 4900 no where on the face of this earth.

Dan NEVER responded to my emails, and I refused to be stuck with something that was of no good to me; so I did the next best logical thing. I took it to a SPCS store and told them it didnt fit; they exchanged it for one that did.

Happy Ending

Since then I have never made another purchase from Dan. There are far too many reputable people selling on ebay. Not giving any more of my money to Dan is not a great lose.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister

Oh, boo hoo. If he's loosing or close to losing money, he should get up off his arse and get a real job. Otherwise, as a merchant he should be honorable and treat his customers with dignity and respect. This guy is just plain narcissistic and sociopathic. I bought two items for my T600 from him earlier this year, and because I had the temerity to question him about his combined shipping policy (which he refused to give me) he left scathingly negative FB for me on eBay. This is the ONLY negative FB I've ever received in 5 years of ebaying, and I am a fair and polite guy who generally tries to be accomodating. This guy is a loser to be avoided at all cost.
    well, nothing in what i wrote, which you quoted, suggested anything about excusing his behavior.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Dan has always struck me as kind of distant. His emails are short, but to the point. They lack kindness and personality I often see in Ebay transactions. As such, I now buy all my accessories from the TC store.
    Thanks for posting your difficulties. I was going to buy from Dan but picked a different vendor based on your experience. Thanks again.
    I was planning on ordering from Dan, but based on what I have seen posted here I have changed my mind. Thanks bkrogers and others who posted issues here in dealing with Dan.

It is disturbing that a number of posts have defended Dan's actions because you could have made an error. Even if it was your error, that's no reason to respond in the manner that Dan did with you.

Based on his comments back to you, I don't understand why it is of concern that he wouldn't let you bid on anything in the future. If he had sent me the emails that you received, I would never do business with him again. Even if he was giving stuff away!
    Great timing. I was just browsing around to see what there was out there for the 650. I see those 600 car chargers are still listed under "Treo 650 Accessories" in his fancy Ebay store. By this point, leaving those up is evidence it is not some innocent mistake. He's looking forward to capitalize on some happy new 650 owners' eagerness to outfit their new toys, compatibility be damned.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me that someone would buy one of those miscategorized items thinking it works on the 650, for all the reasons previously noted. I'm also bemused to see so many folks saying, "Well, the Christmas rush is tough," and "He's just a guy, not a 'real' retailer." Trust me, the man is not homeless if he can afford all the premiums he uses in his auctions. And anyone who sells goods knows that the Christmas season is pretty much the only time you're business will make real money.

His own profile page says: "We believe the customer is ALWAYS right and we strive for 100 percent customer service. Thanks for reading about us and Have a great day!"

Yet, in this one thread, I've seen several folks mention that he sends the wrong item (imagine how many other buyers just take the loss rather than pursuing an exchange), a device-killing defective item, and even leaving clearly malicious, "scathing" feedback as retribution for asking a reasonable question about shipping. Considering how important feedback is on Ebay, this behavior alone is inexcusable and seems more than enough grounds to make sure he's dropped from any "good seller" club.

Yes, you all are more than welcome to continue to buy from him, whether because he hasn't ticked you off or because his prices excuse any idiotic behavior. But threads like these are invaluable to those of us still evaluating vendors, and I'm sure I'm not the only one thankful that bkrodgers shared his most telling experience.

This thread gets a five-star rating from me.
    Yeah, I emailed him asking if these chargers, listed in the 650 section of his store, would work on a 650 or only the 600. He gave me the correct answer, but he still hasn't closed the auctions and relisted them properly. Sounds like he really doesn't care about misleading people.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I'm having a problem with Dan right now. Ordered an HBH-660 headset from him more than 2 weeks ago and still haven't seen it. His emails, while not as inflammatory as the ones posted here, were short and very curt. The first one was apparently lost in the void somewhere. I received a tracking number for USPS, but it's still listed as "The USPS has been informed electronically by the shipper to expect your package for shipping...yada, yada". I emailed him. He emailed back saying he'll send another one out and that if I receive the first one, to send it back. I said OK. This was last Friday. It's Wednesday now and still no headset. And I live in CT where Dan is based. So if he put it in the mail, I'm fairly certain I'd get it next day.

Ho hum...
    Wow, I just order ~$115 worth of stuff this weekend and received an email today that it shipped, hope everything turns out ok.

BTW is he selling the 650 charger at all? I bought a combo auction with the 650 form fit case and 650 charger, hope it is actually for the 650. If this is the case why couldn't he have just swapped out the charger he sent you?

-Josh
    It includes the car charger. No one sells the wall charger yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    It includes the car charger. No one sells the wall charger yet.
    Gotcha, guess I didn't read the op's post close enough. Thanks!

-Josh
    I posted this experience before the crash on TC last year...

I have bought a couple things from him. Most went pretty good....at least nothing more than expected when eBaying....except for one instance, the last time I ordered from him.

I had just bought my Treo 600 on Wednesday and needed some accessories (car charger, external battery, etc...) ASAP for a week long business trip I was taking on the following Monday.

So I order the works...including the keyboard. I personally called him and explained that I really needed everything by Friday and was willing to pay whatever the overnight fee was......as long as he could guarantee that it would be here by Friday. He said sure, he would guarantee it and charged me something like an extra $25 on top of the $15 or so shipping I had already paid.

He emailed on Thursday and said that he packed it up and shipped it out, good service I thought....but did not include a tracking number. When I called to get a tracking number, he said he shipped it US Postal. I thought what the heck....US Postal does not have an overnight service, as their overnight service does not even guarantees delivery within 2-3 business days! He obviously just went cheap as I overpaid him for even FedEx AM Express service!

My package did not arrive until two days after I left on my trip and 5 days after he shipped it.

When I got back and asked for a refund on the extra Overnight shipping only. He refused because he "was not responsible for the lack of service with the delivery". I pointed out to him that the service he used with his personal guarantee to have it delivered overnight clearly states that there is not overnight guarantee and that it may take 2-4 days.....that he chose the ONLY service that did NOT guarantee overnight service.

He continued to refuse to refund the extra $25 (remember I am not asking for the whole shipping refunded, just the extra for the overnight) with very degrading and rude comments. After I continually pointed out, very politely I might add, he did not meet his personal guarantee to me by not using a real overnight service, he finally offered the $25 refund for the 5 day overnight service......but with stating he was doing it only to get me out of his hair and not due to any commitment to customer service, or something along those lines.

Never ordered from him again.
    I do not have time to tell my side of this story. But I will amit the fact that these two father and son push me over the edge which in 5 years selling on eBay not one customer has manage to to that.
    All this blah, blah,blah boils down to one issue. HONESTY! These two refuse to accept the fact they made a error and cost us listing fees. All we ask for him to do was cover those fees and the debate begin.

My record on eBay and several other sites clearly speaks for itself. We are running a 99.2% customer approval rate selling to thousands of customers each month. Try keeping 3000-4000 guys all happy at once!

The rest of you guys, Come on Go spread some Christmas cheer. You must have something better to do than pick on some poor eBay seller! We are far from perfect and always open for suggestions to improve.

It's always been my goal to serve each and every customer like Gold and go the extra mile. Along the way we may of drop the ball a few times, But we try to make things right when a issue arises.

I have sold to thousands of people on this site and like to take this opportunity to say Thanks for your business and all your Treo 650 business you have given us.

Happy Holidays and God Bless.

Daniel Horton
    dans_cellular_accessories
    Last edited by danscellphones; 12/22/2004 at 01:27 PM.
    Thank you for the great product!
    Buyer neospazzy ( 82) Dec-22-04 10:56 5737574239
    <snip -kr>
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 12/22/2004 at 01:30 PM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast