Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I just had my first and last experience ordering from Dan. I order some items through his e-bay store, and he didn't ship the items until a week after they were ordered. I e-mailed him during that tiime but he never responded. I finally got the ordered items two weeks after they were ordered. He may be cheap, but his lack of response and slow to ship style is not worth it. Thumbs down for dan.
    I am in full agreement with Woof. I buy and sell on eBay frequently and agree with Dan's principle (although not the way in which he presented himself--I, too, would like to hear both sides of the story, though). If I were your father, I would have emailed Dan and asked him to clarify whether the item was for the Treo 650 (because it was in the category) or for the Treo 600 (which I had previously concluded myself from browsing that site). I would have also offered to cover the eBay listing fee that Dan lost, no matter what the amount actually was.

I have bought several items from Dan and have asked him quite a few questions and have been very satisfied with my experience. I will continue to support him, as someone who provides quality products at low prices.
    2 things.

It's Christmas, everyone one is slower.

If it was so important for you to get your items really fast and price wasnt an issue, why didnt you buy them locally?
    He may be cheap, but his lack of response and slow to ship style is not worth it.
    You get most of his stuff at half of retail in many cases and yeet you b!tch because you have to wait a few days.
    Maybe you should try Compusa, Not so cheap, crappy customer service, but hey you can get stuff now.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Even though Dan miscategorized the parts your dad ordered, it was up to your dad to understand what he was bidding on. Categories on ebay are weak indicators of what the auction is at best. Thats why there is a description.
    Well, we've never disputed that my dad shared some of the responsibility in this. All we were arguing was that since he *repeatedly* listed it as a Treo 650 accessory, he shared the responsibility. If there had been one or two, that's one thing, but he has 5 of these items listed under Treo 650 Accessories. And I'm not talking about the generic ebay category, I'm talking about a very specific section of his store that's specifically for "Treo 650 Accessories." He put it there, very specifically, multiple times. It's misleading. Yes, the rule is read the auction. However, the rule is also that the auction should not be misleading. All we asked is that he cancel the order -- we even told him that as soon as he had the travel charger for the T650, we wanted to purchase that and the cradle. All we asked is for him to acknowledge that a *mutual* mistake was made.

Regardless, his behavior is 100% inexcusable. No WAY you can defend that.

Dan has good prices, but so do others. Order from whoever you want, but people deserve to know that if he makes a mistake, he is going to blame it entirely on you if he can, swear at you, foam at the mouth, threaten you, and call you names.
    Full refund has been issue and you are block from anymore business on our ebay site. Who the f*&(_ do you think you are? MY RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELF AND YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO COLLEGE AND LEARN A SIMPLE RULE. YOU MAKE A ERROR BE *MAN* ENOUGH TO AMIT IT!!!!!
    If that truely was the language he used to interact with his customers, then the guy is an jerk irregardless of whatever 'ebay rules' apply. bkrodger's dad may indeed be responsible for the purchase, but that it is a completely separate matter from Treo Nazi Dans' behaviour...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    I am in full agreement with Woof. I buy and sell on eBay frequently and agree with Dan's principle.
    Dan's principle doesn't agree with Dan's principle. He says right in the auction that he has a "no hassle return policy." He makes no mention of any restocking fees or any other charges for returning an item. All that we asked was for him to cancel it without the cost and expense of shipping it to us and returning it to him. If he had said "all sales are final, products sold as-is," that'd be one thing. We probably wouldn't have even asked. But if you offer a return policy, you have to honor it.

I'd agree with you and Woof *if* he had acted professionally and *if* he didn't advertise as one of his primary selling points his no hassle return policy.
    Last edited by bkrodgers; 12/20/2004 at 11:43 PM. Reason: fixed the quote tag
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    All we were arguing was that since he *repeatedly* listed it as a Treo 650 accessory, he shared the responsibility. If there had been one or two, that's one thing, but he has 5 of these items listed under Treo 650 Accessories. And I'm not talking about the generic ebay category, I'm talking about a very specific section of his store that's specifically for "Treo 650 Accessories." He put it there, very specifically, multiple times.
    Like most high volume sellers Dan uses some sort of software to automate his auctions. He is not wantonly miscategorizing his accessories as you imply. Some lackey in his organization input the parts in the wrong category and it has yet to be fixed. You make it sound as though it is a conspiracy to confuse customers. Hardly.

As I mention in my first post, Dan was not right to tear into you and your dad like he did. (Odd how you have still failed to post the whole two-sided conversation). The thing is though, if your dad had read the auction and understood what he was bidding on, this never would have happened. Or if he had asked a question BEFORE bidding, maybe this could have been resolved w/o Dan's loss of tact. Dan was wrong in the way he responded (based on info we have been given so far, I have my doubts though), but it never would have happened if your Dad had done his due dilligence as a bidder and read the auction. Hell, why didnt he ask YOU about it before bidding?

Bottom line Mister Rodgers ( sorry couldnt resist) is that the category is irrelevant. Dad screwed up. You're not out anything, so quit ragging on someone who is otherwise doing a good job and go shop elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    If that truely was the language he used to interact with his customers, then the guy is an jerk irregardless of whatever 'ebay rules' apply. bkrodger's dad may indeed be responsible for the purchase, but that it is a completely separate matter from Treo Nazi Dans' behaviour...
    Since we havent seen any of the emails from the rodgers side of the conversation, I am growing high suspicious of the validity if "dan's" emails. I've have gotten plent of emails from Dan and the rarely have much in them. Here's an example.

In a message dated 12/16/2004 3:13:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, XXXX@xxxxxxxxxxxx.com writes:
    Dan I recently purchased a sonyericsson hbh-660 bluetooth headset from you (ref this auction). Well today I lost it. Fell out of my shirt pocket. I need another and noticed none in the store. Are you going to have more and if so when. Thanks. Jason

ETA is friday

Daniel Horton
    Dans_Cellular_Accessories
    1117 East Putnam Ave. #402
    Riverside, CT 06878
    General Offices 203-629-1360

The rodgers camp must have really said something special to get him to blow up like he did.
  9.    #29  
    Since we havent seen any of the emails from the rodgers side of the conversation, I am growing high suspicious of the validity if "dan's" emails. I've have gotten plent of emails from Dan and the rarely have much in them.
    Well, you can be suspicious if you want. He said what he said. I've added our emails that started his rant to the original post. No, he hasn't had that much to say in the past when I've asked him simple questions. But he sure did today.

I don't really care if you do or don't buy from him again, or if you do or don't believe what I'm saying. But I think people deserve to know how he treats people -- even if that's not always how he treats people. He clearly has a very short fuse. And the fact that his actions contradict his "no hassle return policy" is also something people deserve to know. If he goes into a rabid rage just because you asked him to honor a policy he stated in the auction, people should know that. Order from him, don't order from him -- it's up to you.
    Your emails are not inflammatory as I see it so Dan must have been having a bad day.

I will say it again though. The category of an auction is not a basis for bidding. The bidder has full responsibility to understand BEFORE bidding or they should not bid. From his email it didnt sound like your dad even read the auction.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
    I ordered 2 batteries from Dan 2 weeks ago. He shipped me one. I sent him numerous emaild of 48 hours. Never received a reply. Finaly filed a dispute with PayPal. Then I started receiving very insulting emails from Dan which I cannot post on here.

I ordered the 2 batteries from Dan because I was going out of town and we hadn't received our own stock then.

I was shocked by his immaturity and rudeness. I would never treat a customer the way he treated me. I'm surprised he has any repeat customers.

Of course I never received the missing battery and had to get a forced refund for it which took 16 days.

Larry
    Guy must be falling apart.

How much are your batteries Larry?
    dude, he is the p1 accessories nazi, a la "soup nazi". Just be quiet and take advantage of the good prices. NO CHARGER FOR YOU!
    the guy is nuts no matter what your emails said to him
    Your emails are not inflammatory as I see it so Dan must have been having a bad day.

I will say it again though. The category of an auction is not a basis for bidding. The bidder has full responsibility to understand BEFORE bidding or they should not bid. From his email it didnt sound like your dad even read the auction.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
    I think it's entirely reasonable that someone who doesn't know that the 600 and 650 connectors are different could have seen these 600 items listed in the 650 section and figured they were compatible.
    I ordered dozens of Treo accessories from Dan for the past year and not once have I had an issue with him. I was shocked to read his response to bkrodgers' dad. It seems like he's having a bad month with bidders and hot air was building up inside of him. There was so much hot air that there wasn't anymore room for minor mistakes. So after that minor mistake with the order, the guy just blew up and released the beast. I, too, would not order from him anymore if I received such an unprofessional response. But until that happens to me, I will keep ordering from Dan.
    there's a pretty simple formula you can use with ebay. well, maybe not so simple.

if you find a high-volume seller on ebay, and their goods are very inexpensive, chances are - even if they have reasonably good feedback - you've got someone who is working his tail off 18 hours a day and making less than minimum wage - and it's slowly beginning to dawn on him.

a single return or blown auction kills any profit, and turns it into a loss.

dan's prices are low enough that he really could call it Crazy Dan's Cellular.

add to that the christmas rush, and the guy is probably a month away from his first coronary. and bankruptcy.

the number of 'successful' ebay sellers who *last*, are few and far between. the ebay fees, and the paypal fees, eventually suck you dry.

no, i'm not speaking from experience, not direct experience. just from watching an assortment of high-volume sellers gradually degrade, and disappear. the smart ones run the numbers thoroughly enough that they get out before the business tanks, and they lose their good feedback. the others.....
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    [QUOTE=anastrophe]there's a pretty simple formula you can use with ebay. well, maybe not so simple.

if you find a high-volume seller on ebay, and their goods are very inexpensive, chances are - even if they have reasonably good feedback - you've got someone who is working his tail off 18 hours a day and making less than minimum wage - and it's slowly beginning to dawn on him.

a single return or blown auction kills any profit, and turns it into a loss.

dan's prices are low enough that he really could call it Crazy Dan's Cellular.

add to that the christmas rush, and the guy is probably a month away from his first coronary. and bankruptcy.

QUOTE]

Oh, boo hoo. If he's loosing or close to losing money, he should get up off his arse and get a real job. Otherwise, as a merchant he should be honorable and treat his customers with dignity and respect. This guy is just plain narcissistic and sociopathic. I bought two items for my T600 from him earlier this year, and because I had the temerity to question him about his combined shipping policy (which he refused to give me) he left scathingly negative FB for me on eBay. This is the ONLY negative FB I've ever received in 5 years of ebaying, and I am a fair and polite guy who generally tries to be accomodating. This guy is a loser to be avoided at all cost.
    I think it's telling that Dan hasn't bothered to remove the items from the wrong category.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I am a retail exec and this time of year can be tough on any retailer but the first thing you learn in retail is the customer is always right and you have to suck it in. Dan lost his cool under the pressure of this month which is no excuse.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast