Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I love the 650.

I still have 10 megs.

Do I get zlauncher Now or should I wait? Question: are there applications that once installed are hard to move? Would they have to be installed again? That would be a great reason to get zlauncher Now, I don't want to do the work twice and I won't remember passwords and web URLs.

I don't want a complicated mess. Is Powerrun much simpler and easier?
    IMO, Powerrun is a MUCH better solution if all you want to do is move apps to the SD card. Zlauncher is pretty complex, and is geared more towards those that want to tinker with the appearance (not knocking it, but it's too much for me).

Powerrun is very straightforward and very easy to use. I just wish P1 would release a free launcher to coincide with their free 128MB card memory "solution." (it's not much of a solution if you have to buy a 3rd party launcher).

Oh well. Powerrun for me, but I think you will get a lot of Zlauncher recommendations.
    AppShelf or YiShow coupled with Powerrun and FileZ are good choices if you find ZLauncher too complex. They are both also smaller in memory requirements than ZLauncher.
    Not many people seem to use it but I prefer MegaLauncher over ZLauncer + PowerRun + FileZ. You might want to check it out.
    You will be able to move your apps later.

I recomend getting them now to play with. They both come with a 30day trial. They both allow you to move the apps back if and when you decide to delet them.

Playing with them now will give you time to decide which one you like when the time comes.... It WILL come!

Good Luck
    ZLauncher already has an integrated file manager and Powerrun like, capability. So having ZLauncher + Powerrun + FileZ is overkill and memory waste.
    Altervatives to ZLauncher would be:

AppShelf
    MegaLauncher
    YiShow

+

FileZ
    Powerrun

I'm not sure how large MegaLauncher is, but YiShow and Appshelf are smaller than ZLauncher.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I've decided to go with Powerrun. Here are my reasons:

1) A review from zlauncher's sales reviews:
    09-Mar-04 by Don Myers
    After 2.5 hours of trying to "install" a theme (just to get the program to run), i finally gave up. Agree with others-- made by "programmers for programmers. Too complicated!! Response from ZZTechs: When a suitable theme is not installed, ZL will alert and hint the name of the suitable theme, which can be easily found in the download package.

2) zlauncher is about 800K while Powerrun 80K. My main reason to look at launchers is to use my SD card to hold lots of applications. And to lose 800K in the already taxed memory shows a missfit.

3) A lot of the options in zlauncher do things that I consider stupid. To change the appearance of the whole Treo 650 makes me feel I'm losing touch with the essence of the device, its personality. And they seem so arbitrary. So like "oh! and we can also change this and change that and that...and this color..." what for?

4) I don't know, at this point it feels like something simple is better.

5) I'd rather put my time into the 650's special capabilities (movies, hires things, exploring news capabilities with blazer, etc.) rather than change a color here or there.
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...area=home.home
    Zlauncher is 15% off at Palmgear now.
    I would also prefer to use MegaLauncher with the 650 but I don't know how compatible it is. Is anyone using this launcher on the 650? If so does it take care of some of the same memory issues as ZLauncher or PowerRun by allowing seemless use of apps stored on the sd card?
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    I've decided to go with Powerrun. Here are my reasons:

1) A review from zlauncher's sales reviews:
    09-Mar-04 by Don Myers
    After 2.5 hours of trying to "install" a theme (just to get the program to run), i finally gave up. Agree with others-- made by "programmers for programmers. Too complicated!! Response from ZZTechs: When a suitable theme is not installed, ZL will alert and hint the name of the suitable theme, which can be easily found in the download package.

2) zlauncher is about 800K while Powerrun 80K. My main reason to look at launchers is to use my SD card to hold lots of applications. And to lose 800K in the already taxed memory shows a missfit.

3) A lot of the options in zlauncher do things that I consider stupid. To change the appearance of the whole Treo 650 makes me feel I'm losing touch with the essence of the device, its personality. And they seem so arbitrary. So like "oh! and we can also change this and change that and that...and this color..." what for?

4) I don't know, at this point it feels like something simple is better.

5) I'd rather put my time into the 650's special capabilities (movies, hires things, exploring news capabilities with blazer, etc.) rather than change a color here or there.
    Is ZLauncher really that hard to learn? The first time I tried it, I got it in a couple of minutes. Also, installing a theme is sooo easy. Just find one you like (make sure it supports hi-res screens) and hotsync it or put it in the ZLauncher theme folder in your SD card. Also, most if not all ZLauncher themes come with a CLIE hi-res+ version, a palm hi-res version and a hi-density version.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I went with PowerRun.

I downloaded it and moved all the programs in less than 1 minute!

This is how simple and powerful this program is!

It freed my memory from 10 megs to 17 megs!

Amazing! Simple!
    I use Zlauncher, it looks so much better than before. Its easy to use for me, moving apps to the sd card is great, I had this same setup in the 600.
    I tried using zlauncher but it was just to fancy for me and required a lot of memory so I stuck with powerrun. It's very simple to use. The only problem I see and not sure if it's the same with zlauncher but when you open up lets say snappermail, powerrun will try to temporarily store the program in RAM so however big your snapper mail is that's how much RAM it will take up. So basically if you have 10MB left in RAM and snapper uses 8 then you're pretty much left with 2MB. And if you were to download a file bigger than 2MB in Snappermail then you're pretty much SOL cause it will say out of memory. The same goes for other programs like Webpro which can get big depending on your bookmarks, cache, etc. Is this how Zlauncher works, and is there any way around this? Technically it's probably much like RAM on a computer. Once it's all being used then you won't be able to open up any other applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    The only problem I see and not sure if it's the same with zlauncher but when you open up lets say snappermail, powerrun will try to temporarily store the program in RAM so however big your snapper mail is that's how much RAM it will take up. So basically if you have 10MB left in RAM and snapper uses 8 then you're pretty much left with 2MB. And if you were to download a file bigger than 2MB in Snappermail then you're pretty much SOL cause it will say out of memory. The same goes for other programs like Webpro which can get big depending on your bookmarks, cache, etc. Is this how Zlauncher works, and is there any way around this? Technically it's probably much like RAM on a computer. Once it's all being used then you won't be able to open up any other applications.
    most palm os apps require that the app is in memory to function properly. this why powerrun and zlauncher copies to app to memory from the sd card before it is run.

also zlauncher's main functionality is to replace the plain ugly system launcher, and added feature is it's ability to create soft and hard 'shortcuts' to apps on your sd card.

don't buy zlauncher if all you want to do is run apps from your sd card. buy it if you want to change the look/feel of your system launcher. zlauncher also comes with tons of features that will make it worth more than any powerrun combo.

and no i'm not a zztechs employee, i just use zlauncher and love it.
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I have both ZLauncher and PowerRun - I agree it's probably overkill. Zlauncher is OK for prettying up the UI, but I find PowerRun easy to use and indispensable!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Not familiar with MegaLauncher, but I completely agree that PowerRun + FileZ is much better than ZLauncher. Smaller, cheaper, simpler (remember KISS). The earlier you can play with these, the better, so you don't screw something up when you're out of space "wiggle room."

One caveat: do NOT use either PowerRun or ZLauncher to move the DocsToGo suite to the card. The whole Docs setup becomes very unstable if you do (corrupt files, duplicate files, soft resets, etc.) Well-documented elsewhere in this forum. DocsToGo comes with a utility called DataVizTech.prc. Install that and use it to move DocsToGo to the card; it puts the pgms & DBs in different folders on your card than the other utilities, and the app is much happier as a result. DataVizTech can also be used to fully clean up any DocsToGo problems (corrupt files, duplicates, resets, etc.) that a mere uninstall/reinstall doesn't cure.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I had Launch'em before so I was a little comfortable with Z Launcher but the longer I own it the more I find out all that it does. I had power run before I decided to go with Z launcher. Why Have a launcher a file manager and a program to transfer fom RAM to card and back when you can have a single program that does all that with just slightly more memory use plus get the benefit that they continue to improve Z launcher. It takes a little while to get comfortable with it but if you are a power user there is nothing like it. I think you'll miss out on something thats staying up with technology. As far as themes, I just use the one that came with Z Launcher because it has the radio level and it works on sprint Treo 650. Its very customizable. I have a 256 mb card that is half full and still have about 14 mb of ram. with very few problem which I have almost completely worked out. Z launcher moves programs to ram as seamlessly as power run and back again. And the fgreat part was that I waited for it to be on sale on palmgear, which is certainly cheaper than getting a launcher and power run. Trial it and I think once you see what it can do you won't want to have several programs when you can get an all in one that looks nice too.
    I tried Megalauncher and decided that it wasn't for me (nothing personal). HOWEVER, when I uninstalled the trial, it messed up the button functions on my Treo. No amount of tinkering would restore it to normal and I had to do a hard reset.

Stick with PowerRun. It is easy, clean and efficent.
    I don't have a 650 yet, but LauncherX is my app launcher of choice. An update for the 650 to middle "select" button is coming, but we don't really know when.

Still, is has all the bells and whistles you need with very little extra.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast