1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried syncing with Mozzila's Thunderbird Email program. I would like to distance myself from Microsoft products.
    Yes, I'm using Thunderbird as my email client on the laptop (IMAP mode to Fastmail) and Chatter on the Treo 650. Works like a bandit! Deletions/changes on either side are instantly reflected. The IMAP sync features never worked properly with Outlook/XP as my email client.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Well that's not really "sycing," now is it... IMAP mail is all server based and you're just having Thunderbird and Chatter both check the same server.

How about syncing addresses in Thunderbird? Not sure if Thunderbird even has Palm conduits.
    correct, just syncing to (IMAP'ing to) the same server. But Outlook can't do maintain coherency with changes on either client (palm, or desktop)! It keeps the old information, has lots of other problems... Outlook is well known to be one of the worst implementations of IMAP. I think msft has little enthusiasm for it (IMAP), since it is an indirect/alternative competitive technology to Exchange server (not apples to apples, but still won't help them much). I messed with trying to make IMAP work right at least 5 times over the past year, including getting help from the experts at Fastmail, etc.... never got it to work right. And read other reports confirming that's the norm. That's why I switched to Thunderbird, which immediately worked great!

Haven't gotten to the address book sync'ing yet... maybe someone else has. On Outlook, i was using an add-on ("You Perform" 1.2) to enhance that functionality. Will report in later on how I tackle that one, once I'm further into the Thunderbird learning curve. I run Keysuite, which is a proprietary database solution (.pdb superset, I believe) which maintains very tight linkage with your Outlook pst/folder hiearchy and breaks the 15-category limit on the Palm; that could complicate things a bit. I'll still run it, since I intend to stay with Outlook for Phonebook, Calendar, Notes, and Tasks (I just dumped it for email). So I'm not ready to work on address sync'ing or import until I sort that out.
    Last edited by sbell22; 12/26/2004 at 06:39 PM.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    I sync my Address book with Thunderbird. It isn't the greatest, but a conduit does exist and works fine.

I don't have the link to it, but you should be able to hunt it down.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by edaugherty
    I sync my Address book with Thunderbird. It isn't the greatest, but a conduit does exist and works fine.

I don't have the link to it, but you should be able to hunt it down.
    Thanks I will Look for it..
    I believe this is the current version of the extension. Download and install this:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...c/palmsync.xpi

If you have questions, I think this thread probably has some good information:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...highlight=palm