1.    #1  
    Well, looks like it is finally my turn to experience the lovely Network Search problem. One thing I did find very interesting, perhaps may be coincidence, perhaps not.... I only started experiencing problems after using some cheapo brand-x car charger and USB cradle sync/charger that I got off eBay. Some quick background, my previous roomate used to do a lot of business with cell phone items, particularly chargers and batteries. He had a small room dedicated to testing batteries and so on, so this information is not coming from "thin air".

According to him, one sure-fire way to shorten the life of a cell phone battery is to use car & USB chargers. (but hey, we can all probably afford to buy a replacement battery every 2 years instead of 3) These chargers are not regulated in the same fashion as wall chargers (if you ever notice, USB & car charges tend to charge quicker than wall chargers). Infact, even the treo-included sync cable intentionally does not charge your phone, even though it would have been MORE cost-effective to do so. Instead there is a third connector for the included wall charger. I know I can't be the only one using these accessories. Having said this, I can't help but wonder if the Treo 600 is extremely sensitive to the power input, and if damage goes beyond simply shortening the life of the battery. I also find it interesting that this problem totally goes away once the phone finds its way to a charger.

With all this in mind, has anyone ever had the Dreaded Network Search problem and NEVER used anything but the *INCLUDED* wall charger / USB cable?
    Last edited by idlingmike; 12/20/2004 at 04:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I only use Sprint-branded wall travel chargers and ran into said problem. Ironically, it only happened for a day or two then once I ran it down to 25% and charged it back up to 100%, the problem went away. No clue why it did it or what caused it, but it was a strange occurrence. I have a car charger for my Treo that actually, now that I think of it, I have used maybe 5 times in the 6 months I've had it and not in the past 3 months.
    I posted on this ages ago, but I have had a different view until now.

I said before that the battery is the cause: I never had problems until I had to soft reset my phone after it hung, and after the reset the battery was at 4%!! (PTunes locked up overnight)

Now I have a new t600, and a USB charger I've been using for 2 months, anI got my first "Network Searching..." in 5 months use of this phone.

Either way, the battery (charging or other) seems to be the cause. Would you agree!
  4.    #4  
    Thank you for your input. Actually, I would have to disagree. The battery meter is based on battery voltage. If this were a battery problem the meter would show a low batt. My busted phone wouldnt make a call the instant I unplugged in from the wall (still showing full charge).

Quote Originally Posted by cleveland216
    I posted on this ages ago, but I have had a different view until now.

I said before that the battery is the cause: I never had problems until I had to soft reset my phone after it hung, and after the reset the battery was at 4%!! (PTunes locked up overnight)

Now I have a new t600, and a USB charger I've been using for 2 months, anI got my first "Network Searching..." in 5 months use of this phone.

Either way, the battery (charging or other) seems to be the cause. Would you agree!
    I personnally do believe this to be a power/battery problem. I am on Sprint and never ever used a charger other than the one provided by my provider that plugged in the wall.

I started having the Network Search after having the phone for maybe 5 months.

It stared at around 40% and slowly worked its way up to 70%. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and got another phone thru Sprint.

Anyway, the reason I believe it to be the battery is the traits it would present. Of course I would get lockups. But more importantly if I wanted a Network Search all I would have to do is turn my speakerphone on when the call started. The moment the girl on the voicemail would reach the highest pitch in her voice BOOM there goes the lockup and Network Search.

See every time my phone had to demand more power weather thru volume, speakerphone, tower switching and such, it would blow out.

Sometimes a nice hard bang right on the back of the phone over the battery would get me a connection.

So I believe either the batteries were defective and/or the phone is shorting or burning up the batteries due to a poor design, or the connections are corroding or coming apart and causing a high resistance and so either problem would lead to you get a voltage reading in your percentage BUT when the demand for power comes the AMPS cannot be provided due to the failure.

Stephen
  6.    #6  
    If you never used any other charger other than the provided wall charger, my theory is clearly wrong. Thanks for your input!