Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After weeks of obsessive anticipation for the GSM Treo 650, I've jumped ship. After reading all the negative threads regarding the 650, including the memory issues and battery life, and of course not being able to wait to satisfy my gadget addiction, I bought the Palm One T5 and I must say, I love it. Of course, it didn't quench my thirst for a new phone, so I also bought the Razr v3 and I love it too! Now hear me out- I know the total package was more expensive and I have to carry two machines BUT- I own the coolest phone on the planet, battery life is great, it slips into my shirt pocket, reception is great compared to my buggy v600, bluetooth is flawless, construction is better than any phone I've owned (and I've owned a lot) and there is no bulk to carry around. On the PDA end, I have all the memory I'll ever need, a speedy processor, great screen, I don't need zlauncher to keep moving programs in and out of memory, and the bluetooth works great with the razr v3 so that the internet is a snap! I carry the T5 in a great new aluminum case in my back pocket like a wallet and I don't even know it's there.
    The treo 650 looked so promising but palm one seems to have cut too many corners and came up way short. Cingular has delayed release cause it doesn't meet their standards yet according to a Cingular rep I talked to. So I figured I'll go this route until the next generation comes out that solves all the shortcomings and bugs. Besides, by then I'll be tired of the Razr/T5 combo.
    Glad you think so. Two questions.
    1. Where are you gonna charge the RAZR, 'cuz there ain't no car charger.
    2. Why would you believe a rep about a product he doesn't have, and there fore can't sell you? OF COURSE it doesn't "meet" their standards. Their standards are "What ever I can seel you TODAY!"
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I think you made a MAJOR mistake.... Yes the 650 has a few problems but there a MANY, MANY people who are using it trouble free.... They don't post much because the 650 works like a champ for them... My only issue was the phone quality.. That has been solved with the download P1 file from Shadowmite's site...

I am using Versamail with NO problems
    I have ZERO unplanned resets
    I am using the following apps without a hitch
    --p tunes
    --zlauncher
    --splash money
    --card export
    --mobile db
    --express
    --backupbuddy

I think you have duped yourself but that is just my opinion... I love my 650 and it works like a champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by fkreb
    The treo 650 looked so promising but palm one seems to have cut too many corners and came up way short. Cingular has delayed release cause it doesn't meet their standards yet according to a Cingular rep I talked to. So I figured I'll go this route until the next generation comes out that solves all the shortcomings and bugs. Besides, by then I'll be tired of the Razr/T5 combo.
    Cingulair doesn't have the Treo 650 yet because Sprint has a guaranteed exclusivity agreement right now so they are the only ones that can have the 650.

As for the T5, I hate to tell you it has many of the same NAND shortcomings the 650 has, it just has a larger NAND chip so you won't have PIM database or application storage size issues. You still only have 32 MB of RAM (only 10 available) to decompress your apps from the NAND to the RAM (Can't run any applications from the NAND). The 256 MB touted for the T5 is the NAND size. So any of the apps that won't work on the 650 because of the small RAM size (not the NAND) will not work on the T5 either.

Here are some articles on the NAND. The second one is focused on the T5.

PalmOne NVFS Link

Red Mercury NVFS Article
    additionally.. your comment about battery life? I haven't had an issue with that yet and wouldn't consider battery life a flaw of the 650
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    you did what worked best for you man - don't let anybody knock that. many here will proffer that the 600/650 are the best, no matter their shortcomings. having owned only pda's and never a smartphone, i can't say for certain either way. but two things seem clear - the 650 gsm isn't shipping soon and the 650 definitely has a few kinks that need to be ironed. the great thing about your money is that it's your money! if they iron out the problems, you can always sell the two devices you just purchased and come on back. sounds like you picked two good products that will do what you need them to do without worrying about many of the issues that seem to be running rampant on tc...
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    I have had my 650 a month on Christmas eve...I love it, and really I have found no issues that I would really "gripe" about yet!
    Law school is a 3 year exersize in mind control--Thomas Newcomb

N400(P.O.S. )-->S.E. T608-->Treo 650-->moto rzr-->xv6700-->pn-820 but I really miss my Treo!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Glad you think so. Two questions.
    1. Where are you gonna charge the RAZR, 'cuz there ain't no car charger.
    2. Why would you believe a rep about a product he doesn't have, and there fore can't sell you? OF COURSE it doesn't "meet" their standards. Their standards are "What ever I can seel you TODAY!"
    Huh? It comes with a travel charger unlike Palm products.

Plus it has a larger screen, Bluetooth that actually works (heaven for a Mac user) way cooler case design along with sturdier construction, camera has 4X digital zoom and exposure controls...

... additional external display, MP3 ringtones, speech recognition, 7 hour talk time, along with all the other expected features of a smart phone (like integrated contacts and calendar). I may jump ship too.

I'll probably wait for the addition of Apple's software on the new units in a month or so.

Granted, the screen doesn't have as many pixels packed in per inch but it is still better than the Treo 600.
    I think you made a mistake too. Interestingly, I saw the T5 the other day and I found myself thinking that the screen didn't look too good, despite the increased resolution and real estate. I then realized that the high density of the Treo 650 screen has really spoiled me. It is simply brilliant and is unmatched by devices of the same category. Just looking at it is a joy in its own right
  10.    #10  
    regarding the car charger: yes there is one, Cingular is selling it for $1 on clearance. Second, with 7 hours talk time it's never been an issue for me.
    regarding Cingular: All I can say is what I was told but more important, the bashing on this forum has totally turned me off to the 650
    Also worthy of my attention is the RAZR's ability to fax from a computer. I only have a cable modem no land-line.

I just might get this thing, especially after hearing headlines in regards to some new Motorola partnership nearly every day these last few months.

Palm scares me and though there will be some that say they are heading in the right direction, I personally cannot see a future for PalmOne OR PalmSource. This is of course just my opinion but I think Motorola is moving in the right direction right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by LunkHead
    I have ZERO unplanned resets
    Soooo... you haven't yet snapped a picture or shot a movie running up against a full memory chip, which then inturn forces you to do a hard reset, losing that precious snapshot or captured video!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Soooo... you haven't yet snapped a picture or shot a movie running up against a full memory chip, which then inturn forces you to do a hard reset, losing that precious snapshot or captured video!?!
    I didn't know about this problem. Why did this situation lead you to a hard reset?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I have taken several photos with the 650... Nope not a single reset...
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fkreb
    but more important, the bashing on this forum has totally turned me off to the 650
    A forum (or the bashing that goes on) decides what you purchase?????

I have found this forum to be far more friendly and helpful than many others I visit... (read: visit a canon digital rebel forum)

Easier to just get the product you want and ignore the forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by LunkHead
    I have taken several photos with the 650... Nope not a single reset...
    But keep taking photos. It happens when you have no more memory to work with, which is easy to come across when using the Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    If I want to keep the photos I simply copy them to an SD card and delete them from the 650.....
    You guys are crazy.

I like hearing his opinions on two new, cutting edge devices.

If you didn't think the treo had so many shortcomings, than you woulden't be so adamant about defending it. Saying he made a big mistake is so closed minded, absolutely assinine. Who the hell are you to say?

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I'm someone who said he made a mistake (not a big mistake) only because he decided without giving the device for which he waited a long time a first-hand try. First-hand experience is much more valuable than reading a message board.

Beyond that, I'm all for using what works for you (not what people tell you would or would not work for you).
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I said I thought he made a mistake...

Yes the 650 has problems... But anyone who thinks the T5 and the Razr do not have their own problems is naive.... I am not about to toss my 650 in exchange for having to carry 2 devices each of whom have their own separate issues...

But 2 each their own... It's his money and as long as he is happy then live and let live..

To blame a message board for turning you off.. That is just a little childish in my book!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast