Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    [I edited a rather unnecessary comment]. The Moto and T5 are awesome cutting edge devices. Notice the word 'device' is plural...that's why I own the 650. I'm happy you found a good fit with the two, but this board has many fans of convergence devices, so your discovery of the moto/T5 combo might not sway too many users (I think that's what you're attempting to do here)..

Besides, all the reasons you reference pertain to the CDMA version. We don't know what the GSM version will be like (outside of assumptions).

Enjoy the moto. It is a sweet phone!
    Last edited by ericshmerick; 12/20/2004 at 04:55 PM.
  2.    #22  
    As a first time poster on this forum, I am amazed at the passion I have ignited. I'm not saying my solution is the best. I'm still going to check out the 650 and hope the GSM version fixes some of the problems. But for now, I'm a happy camper while you guys are still waiting for your GSM model to come out. When it finally does, maybe I'll jump on board. Who konws?
    Quote Originally Posted by LunkHead
    I am using the following apps without a hitch
    --backupbuddy
    I heard from someone that BackupBuddy wasn't compatible with the T650.
    Are you talking about BlueNomad's BackupBuddyVFS for backing up to your SD card on your 650?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    You are correct..... The new version of Backupbuddy does NOT work on the 650...

I am using BackupbuddyVFS (BlueNomad) v 2.15 and it works like a champ!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fkreb
    After weeks of obsessive anticipation for the GSM Treo 650, I've jumped ship. After reading all the negative threads regarding the 650, including the memory issues and battery life, and of course not being able to wait to satisfy my gadget addiction, I bought the Palm One T5 and I must say, I love it. Of course, it didn't quench my thirst for a new phone, so I also bought the Razr v3 and I love it too! Now hear me out- I know the total package was more expensive and I have to carry two machines BUT- I own the coolest phone on the planet, battery life is great, it slips into my shirt pocket, reception is great compared to my buggy v600, bluetooth is flawless, construction is better than any phone I've owned (and I've owned a lot) and there is no bulk to carry around. On the PDA end, I have all the memory I'll ever need, a speedy processor, great screen, I don't need zlauncher to keep moving programs in and out of memory, and the bluetooth works great with the razr v3 so that the internet is a snap! I carry the T5 in a great new aluminum case in my back pocket like a wallet and I don't even know it's there.
    The treo 650 looked so promising but palm one seems to have cut too many corners and came up way short. Cingular has delayed release cause it doesn't meet their standards yet according to a Cingular rep I talked to. So I figured I'll go this route until the next generation comes out that solves all the shortcomings and bugs. Besides, by then I'll be tired of the Razr/T5 combo.

Yes. Congratulations. You made your choice. It's your money to spend. I don't own a Treo yet (and don't plan on getting one until Palm can release one that to me isn't crippled. I've never seen a modern PDA such as this Treo 650 that has needed so many hacks / fixes from it's users). I'm doing great right now with a SE K700i and CLIE TH55/E. The bluetooth connection between the two is great. I can have the K700 in my pocket and still have internet access on my TH55. Great stuff. Bottom line, don't listen to what anyone here says. You made a great decision.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Missing the point:

I had a two device solution and here is the problem:

Going to the party
    Going to the game
    Going to the movies
    Going to the doctor
    Going to...

Do you really take 2 devices? No. You get "the phone" and you leave the Palm.

I found myself doing it. Leaving the Palm.

Also, the Treo 650, in the bathroom, in the car, while walking is great. One can operate it On the Go. Try that with a two device solution. It does not work. I can drive and use the 650 to look up stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Missing the point:

I had a two device solution and here is the problem:

Going to the party
    Going to the game
    Going to the movies
    Going to the doctor
    Going to...

Also, the Treo 650, in the bathroom, in the car, while walking is great. One can operate it On the Go. Try that with a two device solution. It does not work. I can drive and use the 650 to look up stuff.

The cell phone is on a belt clip and the palm is pretty thin, so it's in a pocket. In the car, I have an arkon crade that holds both a PDA and a cell phone. I also have the gps kit for my CLIE and with my phone on a cradle next to my pda, I also have net access.

Not trying to flame or anything, but for some of us the two device approach just works better right now than the Treo 650 in it's current configuration (it seems to need a hack or a fix for a number of problems, just not enough memory).
    to be honest with you i think its better to have two devices.
    a really tiny Bluetooth enabled phone that i can throw in one of my pockets and use for voice-calls and have a device such as a pocket pc or a T5 becaues of the big screen so i can at least read my emails better or surf the web with ease.

Still considering it. I dont want both devices to hit my wallet real hard. i am trying to make a combo that works for the same price i paid for the treo 650.
    "sometimes i cut myself to relieve the pain. tehehe." --Toot Braunstein-->drawn together
    Yeah, a really tiny (but still useable) bluetooth enabled phone & a hi-res+ / vga resolution device is the way to go for me. The screen real estate when reading emails and checking the web for news, directions, weather, etc., are just easier on the eyes.
    When you say "Travel Charger" are you talking AC or DC. The reason I made my earlier comment is that I run an electronics store (National Chain) in a very affluent mall. We have several GSM retailers in our mall, and they all sell the RAZR. It's incredibly popular. Since it's launch I've had five to ten customers a day asking about a car charger. They claim NO ONE has them, and that once they enabled Bluetooth to their car, the battery just drains away. Now, I know customers opinion's on a device performance are VERY subjective, but after the third or fourth day of THAT MANY people, I began to realize they couldn't ALL have unrealistic expectations! As for two devices, whatever, it's your world. I just can't see where that would be convienent. Carrying two would almost assuredly lead to me leaving the PDA at home. My assistant got a two device deal, and every single time I need to send something to her PDA it's either charging at home, or in the car, or at her boyfriends, or any number of eight hundred other excuses. What a pain.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  11.    #31  
    I bought my Razr v3 at an AT&T store. They had a clearance section and the salesman told me they had a car charger for on older moto phone that works on the razr and is being cleared out for $1. I grabbed it and it works just fine even though I've never had to use it. I use a Jabra 250 BT headset and my battery does not drain at all. I talk about 2500 minutes per month.
    After weeks of obsessive anticipation for the GSM Treo 650, I've jumped ship. After reading all the negative threads regarding the 650, including the memory issues and battery life, and of course not being able to wait to satisfy my gadget addiction, I bought the Palm One T5 and I must say, I love it. Of course, it didn't quench my thirst for a new phone, so I also bought the Razr v3 and I love it too! Now hear me out- I know the total package was more expensive and I have to carry two machines BUT- I own the coolest phone on the planet, battery life is great, it slips into my shirt pocket, reception is great compared to my buggy v600, bluetooth is flawless, construction is better than any phone I've owned (and I've owned a lot) and there is no bulk to carry around. On the PDA end, I have all the memory I'll ever need, a speedy processor, great screen, I don't need zlauncher to keep moving programs in and out of memory, and the bluetooth works great with the razr v3 so that the internet is a snap! I carry the T5 in a great new aluminum case in my back pocket like a wallet and I don't even know it's there.
    The treo 650 looked so promising but palm one seems to have cut too many corners and came up way short. Cingular has delayed release cause it doesn't meet their standards yet according to a Cingular rep I talked to. So I figured I'll go this route until the next generation comes out that solves all the shortcomings and bugs. Besides, by then I'll be tired of the Razr/T5 combo.
    You will regret in few weeks. I did that with samsung NEXIO (PDA)and SE 610.
    and dumped T600 when it cameout last year. I regreted my decision later on.I am happy using T600 for last 4 months .
    Eagerly waiting for GSM 650
    Talking on the phone while driving is one thing, but using it as a Palm? Geez loueez, I hope you're nowhere near Ohio...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    Talking on the phone while driving is one thing, but using it as a Palm? Geez loueez, I hope you're nowhere near Ohio...
    What, in Ohio people are so stupid they don't know how to bull**** the cops? Here in Florida, 90% of women are blondes (with plastics thanks to DuPont) and they apply lipstick while using their phone, holding the cigarrette in between their knees and exiting the highway. This is while they give the bird to the uninsured Cuban driving without insurance on his Nextel (Spanish menu mode). Oye!
    Last edited by mgauss; 12/20/2004 at 10:04 PM. Reason: correction
    As a first time poster on this forum, I am amazed at the passion I have ignited.
    Fortunately, you didn't jump ship from Palm to Windows! Then you would have needed your asbestos suit to ward off the flames.

I am planning to do the opposite of what you did: replace my current Palm + phone with the T650. I strongly considered the Tungsten T5 + Bluetooth phone, but have decided to give the Treo a try as soon as Cingular has it. My only concern is that T650 has half the memory of T5, but my current unit (Sony SJ33) only has 16MB so I should be okay.

What?!? A true power user would bring the Palm and ditch the phone! That's what I do. I would much rather be incommunicado for awhile and have my ebooks, databases and games than to give those up for a stupid phone. My Palm goes in my bathrobe pocket when I wake up and does not leave my side unless I'm going in water. In the 5+ years since my first Palm I have not spent more than 15 days without one. The phone, on the other hand, gets forgotten in my car or my coat about twice a month. My only concern about getting the T650 is that I will no longer have an excuse not to have a phone with me.
    I understand what archie is saying for the most part ( I am a mac user and had no trouble with the bluetooth) I think the best part about this forum is that not all of us sit around and complain about the problems, some people (shadomite, euroclie, the host of others that have gotten in and dismantled their treo 650's so that we can all have a better device) actually do something about it. I think that's what makes the 650 so amazing. I mean I don't care what forum you go to for what device, there will inevitably be some one who complains that something is missing and that makes the whole device completely worthless. But having the ability to change the majority of those issues has made me love my phone even more. I'll be the first to admit that the beta testing for the treo 650 seems to consist mostly of "sell it to sprint users" but at the rate that the treocentral people are attacking the problems it seems like this is a device with all the ability to become a great device for even the most decerning user. If someone does decide to choose another phone over the 650 I only hope that they can find a group of people out there like the ones on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair

You've seen those cars with built in GPS navigation systems right? They have small screens that show the map and such? That's what I do with my PDA in the car. I use it for GPS navigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    You will regret in few weeks. I did that with samsung NEXIO (PDA)and SE 610.
    and dumped T600 when it cameout last year. I regreted my decision later on.I am happy using T600 for last 4 months .
    Eagerly waiting for GSM 650

Everyone has their own preference. You prefer having an all-in-one device. Why can't you accept that some people like having separate devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB
    Fortunately, you didn't jump ship from Palm to Windows! Then you would have needed your asbestos suit to ward off the flames.

I am planning to do the opposite of what you did: replace my current Palm + phone with the T650. I strongly considered the Tungsten T5 + Bluetooth phone, but have decided to give the Treo a try as soon as Cingular has it. My only concern is that T650 has half the memory of T5, but my current unit (Sony SJ33) only has 16MB so I should be okay.

I remember my SJ33. I got it when there were already 32MB+ Palms. I ended up sending my SJ33 to a company called RunPDA to have it upgraded to 32MB of RAM. I needed that memory and the SJ33 was perfect at that time with all that memory. Maybe a company can develop an upgrade like that for the Treo 650... I know of two companies that do it for Palm PDAs: RunPDA and PalmPilot upgrades. For PocketPC there is PPCTechs.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast