1.    #1  

Is there a hack to toggle Beam Receive on and off? It'd be nice not to have to go into Prefs when I want to receive things.

Jeff
    Found this shortcut in the Calvin's PGHQ FAQ
    at palmgear:
    ------------------------------------------
    .i - enables Beam receive for a short time. No longer do you need to have Beam Receive turned on in Prefs/General!
    What's the best way to do these . shortcuts?

It seems like you have to go into a new memo to do one.

It seems like a using the graffiti upslash followed by some character would be easier (if there was one available). Are there any hacks that add this to menu bars or just add this as an option?
    Originally posted by Rolando:

It seems like you have to go into a new memo to do one.
    You don't have to be in a memo. Works just fine from all the apps I have tried it in.

tyler

tyler,

I couldn't get it to work. What exactly do I need to do. Here's what I do. PLease correct me if I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm missing a step.

Tap on the graffiti area to do the period.

Write the letter 'i' using graffiti stroke up-to-down vertical line.

Am I missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by dvdgene:
    I couldn't get it to work. What exactly do I need to do. Here's what I do. PLease correct me if I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm missing a step.

Tap on the graffiti area to do the period.

Write the letter 'i' using graffiti stroke up-to-down vertical line.

Am I missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Yes, you are missing a step. First you have to do the "shortcut" stroke. This is done in the ABC side of the graffiti area, starts in the lower left, and looks like a cursive lower case "L". Tap TWICE to get a period. Then do the "i" stroke.

You are neglecting to use the "shortcut" stroke (looks like a cursive, lowercase l (not a "1") first.

Shortcut stroke, double-tap for the period, then a downstroke for the "i"

YOu must do it in a application that actually lets you write. For instance, you can't do it in the "Applications" screen, but you can do it in Datebook, ToDo, etc.
    I hate when someone beats me to the punch! ...and by one mere minute, too!
    You guys are great. This is just the help I was looking for.

Are there other handy 'system' shortcuts like this one?

Where did you guys find out about this one?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    USE DA'S!!! They rule!

There is a DA called IRSwitch. Depending on the DA Launcher you use, you can access it with a single stroke, like with Swipe (you can assign apps or DA's to different pen swipes). I prefer AppDALauncher, since I've been have problems with the stylus scratching up my screen. I avoid the Graffiti Help swipe by using the DALauncher on the Calc button. Hit the upper left quarter of the Calc button and instant help.
    (also: I set the upper right to Currency, bottom right to CalCal, and bottom left to normal Calc - actually, tap 2x for normal Calc and once for QuikBudget)

Here's the link, and I recommend you go through what's there, since they're all small, damned pratical and easy to launch.
    http://member.nifty.ne.jp/yamakado/da/

IRSwitch is at http://member.nifty.ne.jp/yamakado/d...x.htm#IrSwitch

Calcal is a great pop-up calc and freeware!
    Do read the warnings about the shortcut in the FAQ, some of them can really screw up your Visor.

And is everybody aware of the shortcuts you can define? Run the Prefs application, use the menu in the upper right corner to select shortcuts.
    There you will find a list of the currently available shortcuts. You can add your own. To use them, while you are in a program that allows graffiti input, do the shortcut stroke, then the shortcut's abbreviation (do NOT do a period for these)
    For instance, in a memo pad document, if you graffiti shortcut ts, a "time stamp" (i.e., the current time) will be typed into the document.
    I write programs in my Visor, so I made shortcuts for commonly used programming words, I for "include", for instance.

[This message has been edited by Winchell (edited 01-21-2000).]
    ..curses, a double post...

[This message has been edited by Winchell (edited 01-21-2000).]
  14.    #14  
    You are right, DAs rock! I installed App/DA Launcher, ditched Switchhack (glad I hadn't registered yet) and am a VERY happy camper. These things are super, why does no one talk about them???