1.    #1  
    the last 2 weeks have shown that at least the power users would have gladly paid a little more for a 650 w/more memory & built in features..attested by all the donations going around to gain more useable mem & features that weren't completed (DUN/Wifi, etc). The joke...that $ could have been P1's!!!!!!!
    Isn't it a sad tragedy...especialy others having to come up w/fixes for a $600 phone to work right (poor BT volume etc).
    I wouldn't be laughing. Right now, I'm crying with them. PLMO stock plummeted 22% on Friday, and preopening prices are lower still.

I don't yet have a TREO 650 as I was waiting on the GSM version. Something keeps bothering me, though, and someone in another post hit it on the head for me by saying that the TREO 650 is like a Ferrari; it is great, but requires more tuning and maintenence than a Toyota.

This thing is at the moment functional ONLY for power users, or those good people who peruse this board on TreoCentral.com, arguably the very same folks. It really is like having a Ferrari, but having it in a town where you have no dealer or repair shop. You have to be a "power driver" or a mechanic or something. Here's why:

1. Upgrading from another Palm OS unit... If you followed the initial incorrect instructions, you get a Hard Reset till the cows come home. You had to be digging deep on the PalmOne site, or see what was posted here at TreoCentral.com to do it right.

2. Memory.... The "Ferrari 650" comes with an engine that doesn't have the horsepower or the MPG or something that everyone thought it did. Somebody figured out to use an SD card and ZLauncher or other equal programs. For me, that is nearing the level of rocket science. Don't know if the average user PalmOne was shooting for is facile with this. Again, you need to be a power user or at least a trainable reader of this board to get around it till a patch comes out. But remember, PalmOne said they are working on fixing this, even though only a very, very few power users were gonna have any trouble with the memory limitations in the first place. So, only power users can fix the problem that is only gonna affect power users. The rest of us have to be very careful how much we load onto the machine. Oh well, maybe it makes sense to them.

3. Speaking of sound... Everybody knows by now about Mr. faisal and his (in)famous patch. Here was a big problem...you couldn't be understood at the other end! Can't have a phone doing that! The patch seems to fix that problem, based on what lots of people have said, but it sounds awfully complicated to apply. Again, only power users, and ESPECIALLY those who read TreoCentral.com are gonna be able to make this work. PalmOne is totally silent about any sound problem at all, except for making people pull the patch off the net. Shadowmite, are you getting any flack from PalmOne yet? Because of the accidental release of the ROM tools, the 650 is now poised to be a hacker's paradise. That is beneficial for the consumer, but I'll bet there are a lot of big tremors at PalmOne headquarters, and not from earthquakes.

4. Bluetooth and WiFi... I group these together because the fixes that have made them functional (or will eventually) have come from this here community, and not from PalmOne. Again, applying them is power-user territory.

The sum of the parts is this: the "Ferrari 650" is a really powerful device. PalmOne has dumped it on us with minimal support. The ONLY thing they have said or done is in regards to the memory, and so far all we get is a $2 memory card. You "Ferrari Mechanics" out there can really fly with this thing, even (or maybe especially) without PalmOne's help. But us non-power users are, as they say where I come from, SOL. PalmOne said they weren't targeting the "power users", but then they are the only ones who can really use the thing.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    the last 2 weeks have shown that at least the power users would have gladly paid a little more for a 650 w/more memory & built in features..attested by all the donations going around to gain more useable mem & features that weren't completed (DUN/Wifi, etc). The joke...that $ could have been P1's!!!!!!!
    Isn't it a sad tragedy...especialy others having to come up w/fixes for a $600 phone to work right (poor BT volume etc).

The sound fix was done by PalmOne... no one else..

Just a point.