1. Ken
    I'm new to all of this, so bear with me ... I'm buying the GVD, my FIRST PDA. I've read a lot on this web site about getting extra software from palmgear.com. So, I checked it out ... and now I'm confused.

Can someone explain to me the difference between DOWNLOADING a zip file and PURCHASING a zip file? Take HackMaster for example. I can either download the zip file for FREE, or I can order it for $5, right? Am I missing something here? Is it ALL freeware, or are there some strings attached??? (Remember, I'm a newbie - give me grace).

Also - is there MS Word-type software for the OS? Can you transfer stuff from your Visor to MS Word?

Thanks for the help,
    ken
  2. Ken
    Forget that last question of mine. I just read about Documents to Go and TealDoc.

Which is better for using with MS Word?
    ken...
    grace is given - but, here's what you need to know.

palmgear, and any other site out there that has downloadable software for that matter, lets you download a trial version of whatever you are interested in for free - for a limited time - after you have used the app or hack or whatever for a while, it will stop working until you register it by paying for it either through the merchant or the author. so hackmaster can be downloaded and installed, for example - but you've gotta pay someone the five smackers if you wanna keep it. this is a good system for figuring out what you like, what works for you, and what fouls the system up, all for free before you commit - think of it as dating.

as for editing documents - i like smartdoc, personally.

matty.

4. Ken
    Matty,

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I was afraid that the PalmPolice might come after me if I downloaded their stuff for "free." But what you said makes sense. Thanks a ton.

Smartdoc, eh? I'll check it out.
    What does "using with MS Word" mean to you?
    There is not yet any way to directly EDIT a MS Word file on the Visor. All solutions along this line translate the file to Palm DOC file format (or the apps native file format).

If you only need to VIEW on your Visor, then there are many options. I like Install Buddy (it works with Excel and Power Point too) because it automates things so well. Install Buddy also includes some basic apps to view the things you bring over to the Visor.

There are many DOC viewers, and you should try as many of them as your patience allows before you buy. FWIW, my preference is for TealDOC.
  6. Ken
    yucca - That's what I was looking for ... a way to EDIT my MS Word docs on the Visor, and then hotsynch them back to my PC. No such thing, huh?

Now I'm REALLY second guessing this thing. WinCE has this ability, doesn't it?
    If you want all the formating and stuff, then I think you probably would be better off with a CE device.

However, if you can live without the formatting (at least for editing on the Visor), then you can still make things work. As I mentioned, there are lots of ways of automating the migration of files into the Visor. The problem is that you can't get them back with the same ease.

I've used DOCview (a Win32 app) to open DOC files, copied the text that I want to the Windows Clipboard, and then pasted back into Word. This works fine for me, as I'm just copying back changes to a larger document; and, since these are usually applied to body text, a Paste Special pastes the text back with the default font.

There are utilities that make things easier if you want to work with whole files, see the following: http://jimthompson.net/pilot/wordproc.htm

Note that you will be working with files in your profile's backup directory. So you might want to copy the files to a temp directory before mucking with them under Windows.

Hope this helps!
    Hey ken,

If you only want free software, take a look here:
    http://palm.eisenbach.com/
  9. Ken
    Thanks yucca & ToolkiT. I checked out both sites. VERY helpful!!!
    ken. you don't need a wince machine. you can edit documents using smartdoc - available wherever palm software is sold - but you do need to convert them on your computer to doc format first and then place it in the install folder for your next hotsync. i use a mac, so i use makedocdd, but i'm sure there is a comparable program for windows. as far as i know, smartdoc is the only editing/wordprocessing software out there, but it works great. i think it costs about $20. with a desktop doc converter, you're all set. happy editing.

matty.

[This message has been edited by matty (edited 01-21-2000).]
  11. Ken
    Thanks Matty. I'm starting to learn my way around the PDA world. I've copied and pasted TONS of ideas from this wed site, including your latest suggestion. It makes for a nice PDA manual. I'll definitely refer back to it once I decide on a PDA!