Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From SprintPCSinfo.com

Sprint Confirms MIDP2 - LBS & PIM Availability

Despite GPSOne's limitations, Sprint appears to be ready to offer the ability to tap these services, as well as potential direct phonebook access...

From Sprint's developer web site:

"Sprint has restricted access to certain functionality provided to most MIDP 2.0 devices. This functionality consists of:

* LBS: Location Based Services
    * JSR-135 Mobile Media 1.1 API
    * JSR-120 Wireless Messaging 1.1 API
    * JSR-75 Personal information Management (PIM)

To access the above restricted API's, you may need to complete some pre-work."
    Am I reading this right? They are now helping developers code for features built into phones such as LBS?

https://developer.sprintpcs.com/site...ome/p_home.jsp
    Thanks for the pointer. I just did a whole bunch of digging and came up with a lot
    of information. According to Sprint, the CDMA chipset in the Treo 650 is the Qualcomm MSM 6050, which supports AGPS - assisted GPS. It is not a standalone GPS solution, but rather a GPS receiver which requires a network server (presumably provided by Sprint) to assist in calculating accurate location information. There is therefore a complex interaction between the GPS receiver and the network which must be coordinated by the software on the device.

There are Sprint specific header files on the PalmOne developer site which include references to GPS information. (see HsPhoneCDMATypes.h and HsPhoneEvent.h)

I wrote a little test app (my first palm program) to play with these, but in my *very limited* testing, I was unable to actually receive any of the location notificaitons on my Treo 650. I suspect there is some API call that I am unaware of that needs to be made to initialize the location based services.

Another way to attack this is through the Sprint Java APIs. It looks like Sprint has adopted the Qualcomm API extensions for GPS. Unfortunately, Palm has not yet released the Java/MIDP environment for the Treo 650 yet, and it is unclear if it will even contain the Sprint/Qualcomm API extensions when it is released. (Someone indicated that the Treo 600 MIDP environment does not contain these APIs)

After digging through many layers of information, I finally came across the following link which summarizes most of this. I only wish I had found it at the beginning of my search!

http://www.shaftek.org/blog/archives...ogramming.html

(it's about half way down, you can search for "E911")

I hope somebody finds this useful, and if you find anything new, please let me know!
    Aha! Found it - "PhnLibTrapGetMdmPosition" -- Unfortunately, there is no API definition for this Trap in the header files, so someone would need to disassemble the CDMA library to deduce the parameters. Anybody done any Palm disassembling?
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc
    Another way to attack this is through the Sprint Java APIs. It looks like Sprint has adopted the Qualcomm API extensions for GPS. Unfortunately, Palm has not yet released the Java/MIDP environment for the Treo 650 yet, and it is unclear if it will even contain the Sprint/Qualcomm API extensions when it is released. (Someone indicated that the Treo 600 MIDP environment does not contain these APIs)

Isn't it the same J2ME toolkit for both the Treo 600 and 650? They should be the same afaikafaikafaik...

Anyway, this would be absolutely fantastic! I can't wait to use LBS on my 650. However I hope it isn't limited to java based apps as the java toolkit is very large and space comsuming on the Treo. I hope Sprint/PalmOne release the API directly to devs so we can have native palmos LBS/GPS apps...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/jvm/

"Note to Tungsten T5 and Treo 650 users: Websphere Everyplace Micro Environment 5.7 for the Tungsten T5 and Treo 650 will available for download soon. Please check back on this page on or after 12/17/04."
    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/jvm/

"Note to Tungsten T5 and Treo 650 users: Websphere Everyplace Micro Environment 5.7 for the Tungsten T5 and Treo 650 will available for download soon. Please check back on this page on or after 12/17/04."
    The original date on that was 11/26/04.
    Anyone research this API routine?

TelNwkGetLocation Function
    Purpose : Retrieve information about the location of the mobile unit.

I think I'll try it out...
    Any luck? I get sysErrLibNotFound when I try to load the Telephony library. :-(
    Any luck? I get sysErrLibNotFound when I try to load the Telephony library. :-(
    Yeah, I've just tried that myself... not sure what the deal is. I'll let you know if I figure it out.
    Ok, it appears that the "telephony library" used in the palm os sdk does not apply to the treo650, because there is no such library! Instead, there is a "TelephonyInterfaceLayer" library which can be opened successfully. However, I have no idea what symbols are exported by this library. Anyone know how 'libr' resources are structured? Is there an equivalent to "nm <library>" somewhere that I don't know about? Shadowmite? Euroclie?

Anyway, here's the source to open the library:

UInt16 iRefnum;
    Err err;

err = SysLibFind("TelephonyInterfaceLayer", &iRefnum);
    if (err) {
    err = SysLibLoad('libr', 'TIL!', &iRefnum);
    if (err) {
    return err;
    }
    }

// now what??
  11.    #11  
    el bump-o
  12.    #12  
    Is there any update on this?
    No updates from my end- there seems to be nothing in the regular Palm os API's that work on the 650. If there is something in the 650 beta api's, it's either not exposed or very poorly documented (by which i mean nothing at all). I skimmed through the beta docs, but they are some of the worst documentation I've ever come across. Data structures contain no reference, parameters are unexplained, etc. I really hope the beta sdk is released soon with better documentation. I'll take another gander at the headers for some clues...
    I've been doing a lot of development in LBS services. Unfortunately I can't talk about it. But AGPS is going to change the world again, moreso than GPS because most everyone will already be carrying it and it will work indoors. AGPS combined with Net access and smartphones is amazingly powerful. Prepare yourself. Apps coming will be as big of a jump in tech impact on the world as when the masses discovered web browsing.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Xeno - will these 'solutions' support existing GPS applications such as TomTom? i.e. will they simulate a NMEA data stream?

Just tell me this ... should I hold off on a Bluetooth GPS receiver? ;-)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    I've been doing a lot of development in LBS services. Unfortunately I can't talk about it. But AGPS is going to change the world again, moreso than GPS because most everyone will already be carrying it and it will work indoors. AGPS combined with Net access and smartphones is amazingly powerful. Prepare yourself. Apps coming will be as big of a jump in tech impact on the world as when the masses discovered web browsing.
    Oh yeah?

When are things that use this technology going to start appearing on the market?
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite

great. another what we have sucks, please wait for the next best thing post....sigh
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    PalmOne (PalmOne Java) has updated their estimated release of the WebSphere Environment for Treo 650 to 2/1/05. We'll see.
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
    It's amazing to me that Sprint has not come out with location-based services and applications yet. I worked for a software company in 2002 in Seattle that replied to a Sprint RFP regarding LBS: friend-finder apps, real-time navigation, etc. One of my favorites that we created was an LBS blog, of sorts. Think of it as a bulletin board that is location based. So if you are standing in front of a new restaurant and you want to see if it's any good, you could fire up -- what did we call it, "MobileNote," something like that -- and read what others had posted on the restaurant based on location. Pretty cool stuff. AND SPRINT HAS HAD IT SINCE 2002!!!!

Of course, trying to work with Sprint was impossible, and they never paid developers anything, so that little company went out of the business.

But it boggles my mind that Sprint hasn't commercialized any of these LBS apps. There are so many good products just waiting for Sprint to get its act together with GPS. It's a shame it has taken this long because there were a lot of good companies -- and people -- that have suffered because of the stranglehold that US wireless carriers have on innovation.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    hmmm. The guys from Mapopolis told me to look for something cool to use with the 650 in the coming weeks!?
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast