Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Where can I get some decent looking Themes for the 650?

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by rriehl
    Where can I get some decent looking Themes for the 650?
    First, go to the source;
    http://www.zztechs.com/en/zlauncher/themes.htm
    But many will not show the signal strength meter or are not updated to ZL5.10

Four really nice ones at Darrins Den, but no Signal Strength meter;
    http://www.darrinsden.com/skins.htm

There is ZLThemes.com;
    http://www.zlthemes.com/
    But not any that are to current as far as I can tell...

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?f...=1&prodID=79687
    is an iPalm Theme, but it is demo only; unless you pony up the $2.75...The obligatory search for ZLauncher will also bring up quite a few themes, although not too many will display the signal strength meter.

Leslie Franke's other themes, found here also work well...
    http://lesliefranke.com/index.php?cat=3

There is always the section at 1SRC.com, used to be fuller and more active, but still a good spot to grab a theme or two...
    http://www.1src.com/freeware/index.php?cid=85
    You can poke around in the skin forum there too, there might be one or two not posted in the download section.

I found this one at PalmSpirit.com that I liked. There may be others. They have 50 or so themes there and I haven't tried them all.
    http://www.palmspirit.com/phpmalogi...3?id=510&cat=30
    Also if you poke around there is often some in the forums that are not up in the download section yet.

There is one more that I cannot find the link to at the moment, it is an XP skin by Leslie Franke...

Overall, quality and quantity wise the best place to go (IMO) is PalmSpirit. The site is in french, but it is an easy thing to follow the links to the "Telechargements"...Here is a link...

http://www.palmspirit.com/phpmalogit...at.php3?cat=30
    Last edited by mattyparanoid; 12/19/2004 at 06:49 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Hmm... I downloaded a nice skin at the palmspirit site but the background was not included. Something I am doing wrong?
    Usually they are included in the skins zip file, I would check to be sure I didn't miss it in a sub-directory or something. Then check out the forum, there are a ton of background threads that are sticky at the top. Maybe it is there...

http://www.forum-palmspirit.com/view...b6c29c37e8c588
  5.    #5  
    There's a .jpg image of the background file but I am not sure how to get that set as a background..
    Make sure JpegLib is installed. It is in the plugins directory of the ZLauncher download. Then install the jpg onto the SD Card (usually in the Palm\Programs\ZLauncher\BackImage directory). Once all is installed, navigate to the jpg and drag it to the CreateShortcut/BackImage icon on the Cardtools toolbar.

That should do it. There is also a converter that cost $2.50 available here that will make the .pdb file for you on your pc.

http://festus440.happypalm.com/

You could also convert the jpeg to a bmp and then just rename the bmp with the file extension .pdb and then sync it to the palm via hotsync.

Here is the long version from the manual:

Setting Background

Converting Background Image: ZLauncher can directly convert BMP/PGP/JPG files into background image databases. There's 3 ways for converting your own background image files:
    Drag a supported picture file to the Create BackImage/ShortCut button of the Card Tools Panel , then it will be converted into a background image, and set as the current background image automatically.
    Tap on the supported picture file for one second, then select Back Image from the popup menu. Then it will be converted into a background image, and set as the current background image automatically.
    Go to the Theme Manager, then open the BackImage, select a picture file, then tap the Select button from the pop up Operating Dialog. When you tap the OK button to exit the Theme Manager, the selected picture file be converted into a background image, and set as the current background image automatically.
    Note:
    The JPG support requires Sony JpegUtil Library or JpegLib.
    Sony JpegUtil Library is a built-in library on some Sony Clie handhelds(NR series and Clie T650C/T665C/T675C and all Clie OS5 models). However, if you install the Sony JpegUtil Library(JEPG_Library.prc and JPEG_Util_Library.prc) to your handheld, the JPG support maybe work on the handheld(except for other OS5 handhelds than the Clie ones). You can find the Sony JpegUtil Library in the ROM of the above listed handheld models. NOTE: WE TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR USING THE Sony JpegUtil Library, YOU USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    JpegLib for Palm is a PalmOS port of the Independent JPEG Group JpegLib, which is ported by Yves Piguet.
    JpegLib for Palm can be used on all handheld models. You can visit http://www.nyctergatis.com/jpeglib/index.html for the latest news of JpegLib for Palm.
    Sony JpegUtil Library is much faster than JpegLib, so if Sony JpegUtil Library is available on your handheld, you don't need to install JpegLib.
    Sony JpegUtil Library dose not support progressive Jpeg files. If you want to convert progressive Jpeg files, you need to install JpegLib.
    If the background image database is converted in the Theme Manager, it will be marked as a temporary background image. Once you change to other background image, temporary background image will be deleted from RAM automatically. If you want to use it on other handhelds, you need to first copy it from RAM to the expansion card via ZLauncher, so that ZLauncher can mark it as a normal background image so that it won't be deleted on other handhelds.
    If you want to get the best quality of the converted back image, you should change the display color to the proper depth before converting the image. For example, if the picture file is 16-bit color depth, you should change the display mode to 64K colors mode before the conversion.
    If the current display color depth is less than the color depth of the background image, it will not be available. For example, if the color depth of the background image is 16-bit, and the current display color depth is 8-bit(256 colors), then the background image will not be displayed.
    Modifying the picture files on desktop computer before the conversion is recommended.
    If there is no expansion card available for your handheld, you can convert the picture file in PalmOS Emulator which can do the job, then export the converted background image database from the PalmOS Emulator, and synchronize it to your handheld.
    ZLauncher supports all color depths of supported picture files. No exact dimension limitation for the picture files. If the background image is smaller than the screen, ZLauncher will tile the background image to full fill the screen.
    To import BMP/JPG files to the expansion card, you can use some 3rd-party software such as SyncWizard, Card Export, PalmDisk. If you are using a Sony Clie, you also can use MS Import/Data Import. You also can import picture with Quick Install Tool which is bundled with PalmDesktop 4.1. Importing the picture files to the /Palm/Programs/ZLauncher/BackImage/ directory is recommended, so that the Theme Manager can recognize them.
    If you don't have an expansion card on your handheld, you can try PalmRAMDisk to create a virtual expansion card, then import picture files onto the virtual expansion card and then convert the pictures into background image databases.
    You may also try ZLauncher Background Converter by Robert Eaton, to easily create ZLauncher background image on MS Windows.

Setting Current Background Image: You can change the background image with the installed images. Go to the Theme Manager, then open the BackImage page, select one of the list background image, then tap the OK button.
    WARNING: Do NOT insert or remove the expansion card when it is busy to avoid any damage to it.
  7.    #7  
    Worked perfect! thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by rriehl
    Worked perfect! thanks!
    You mean I actually helped someone?!?! Wow, usually it's the other way around! Glad I could help.

Check out the Icon set I uploaded (Seperate Post) for ZL and the Treo 650, it will allow the 22 icons that do not display in ZL to work properly. Took me three days of wrangling with the author of ZLIconSet Factory to get it all sorted out, but it was worth it.

Cheers.
    Also I very large palmOS community with a wealth of information:

http://www.1src.com/
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i see all these silver polished ones i thought id like and yet... it seems aquawoodXP is what im sticking with. maybe cuz its the first skin i got but i cant find any that are as clear or as nice. maybe its cuz i come from a Launcher X world.

if anyone sees something absurdly superb please let me know.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Leslie Franke has a Crystal theme that rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    ... maybe its cuz i come from a Launcher X world.
    Ah, LauncherX....so comfortable, fast, small, easy to use....I miss it. Took me three days to get ZLauncher all set up the way I can stand it and even then there are still words mispelled in the menus (a point I remember making on a forum way back in version 2.x and yes I realize that they are not native English speaking developers)...kludgy menus and themes that are as gawdy as all get out...the whole launcher is no where near as elegant and polished as LX was....

But, without one handed operation, LauncherX had to go the way of the dodo...

I emailed Will Lau and asked him if he was going to update at least to get the center selector working...email unanswered after two weeks....

I kept LX on there for a while, but no stylus operation is a must for my Treo hand...
    Matty (or whoever), I was able to add a jpeg as a background in a theme, but now I can't get rid of it...any suggestions? Thanks.
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm m515, Treo 650, Centro
    You might be having trouble because the image is still in use as a back image and ZL won't let you delete them until they have been deselected and purged from the cache. Try this:

Go to the Popup Setup List/Theme Manager/Background Image, select no back image (to all tabs that the back image you want to delete was previously selected for) select ok, then ok again.

Then go back to Popup Setup List/Theme Manager/Background Image, select delete, then ok....should delete it.

An alternate solution is to exit ZLauncher and look for it with another file manager like Filez (Freeware) and delete it. You may get an error when you go back to ZLauncher after that though.

Let me know if the above doesn't work. I will walk you through some other solutions.

Good Luck
    Worked great! Thanks!
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm m515, Treo 650, Centro
    Maybe you like to try my Zlauncher themes. I have just modified them to include the signal indicator. The themes should work fine on the Treo 650 and they are free.

Clean Clielook Zlauncher theme, Download here

http://home.hetnet.nl/~fenpzwarts/PL...AP/hrcapt6.jpg

Palmlook Zlauncher theme, Download here

http://home.hetnet.nl/~fenpzwarts/PL...enshot0000.jpg
    Today was the first time to try ZLauncher. No matter what I try, I can't get the background to change. It is an ugly sand color. I've got a choice of 5 backgrounds. But it acts like it's loading and then the sand color again.

jc
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt
    Today was the first time to try ZLauncher. No matter what I try, I can't get the background to change. It is an ugly sand color. I've got a choice of 5 backgrounds. But it acts like it's loading and then the sand color again.

jc
    Do you have jpeg lib loaded?

Do you want to have a solid color background or do you want to load a picture background?

Sound to me like you are trying to load a jpeg without the jpeg library....

Lets see what we can do to help you. Tell me exactly what you want to do, and then what you are doing. It's not difficult, you are probably just missing a step somewhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    Do you have jpeg lib loaded?

Do you want to have a solid color background or do you want to load a picture background?

Sound to me like you are trying to load a jpeg without the jpeg library....

Lets see what we can do to help you. Tell me exactly what you want to do, and then what you are doing. It's not difficult, you are probably just missing a step somewhere...
    No trying to load a solid background. I figured it out. I tried to load it to the "All" choice, thinking it meant all screens. But I didn't scroll all the way down to the bottom to find the apply to all choice.

My new question is, Does any launcher theme have a bluetooth status icon?
    Or is this something that the Zlauncher people need to add?

jc
    Last edited by caseyatbt; 01/09/2005 at 10:33 PM.
    fazwarts... I really appreciate what you have done... I was having a helluva time trying to like zLauncher (long time LauncherX fan)... but your "palmLook" has made it happen. I do have a question that maybe you could answer given your zLauncher expertise... I wanted a function button to toggle bluetooth on and off... when I didn't find one I thought the next best thing would be to put the bluetooth app on the top bar... but the icon doesn't show??? any idea why this might be? can it not scale that particular icon to fit?

or is there a better way to accomplish what I am after anyway?
    this is not an accident, this is art.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast