Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    is milan not planning t650 support of profiles? I loved the profile, profeo alarms, treo off/on by quickster & call filter....all were free except call filter.
    @would love that combo for 650..!!!
    [QUOTE=tdhood]One nice feature that Milan's application has is that you can get a quick on-screen notifier of the current profile whenever you power the Treo on.
    QUOTE]

Ditto on this. The on-screen notification should be user configurable (on/off) for each profile. Milan's app does this. I leave the notification off for my "normal" profile, and turn it on for all others. That gives me a really quick indication that I've set a "non-normal" profile.

I really look forward to this app.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I like this idea a lot. It will be included.
    That would be awesome Jeff. Can't wait !!!
    All,

Just to be clear. I do not just want to recreate what others have done with profiles. I want to take this app to the next level. I think it is OK to overlap on functionality but lets come up with something really exciting here.

Along with feature ideas, I would welcome any GUI layout and high level implementation suggestions. Like I want Time, Location, Function, etc to be the highlevel basis for design. For example after I created CradleCare some people came back and said I would rather have had time be the main profile rather than phone numbers. (If you are not a CradleCare user, I based my phone forwarding profiles on phone numbers. Then for each phone number you had a profile that described conditions when this number would be forwarded. For example day or week, time of day, connection to computer, etc...) Does this make sense?

So what I really need to get started is a high level picture of not only functionality but also of highlevel design.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Bump
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    what are you bumping? this thread is pretty active
    Make it as easy and fast as possible for overriding the current profile for a period of time. Option to remember last override time period and profiles for ease of future overrides.

Also make it work for both 650 and 600

Integration with 2Day to view the current profile would be nice as well.
    Last edited by rengelman; 12/24/2004 at 07:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    hey treoneo...

I bumped it because I had to go to page three in order to find the thread.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    I think we're all dying to get our hands on even a "beta" of this tool. I sincerely miss Milan's "Profile" program, and have seen nothing like it on the 650. Even those that seem to turn off sounds, like KillSound don't seem to do it. NoAlarms does work, but eliminating all timed events for a duration of time, but it's not quite the same thing.

ETA on a beta?

Thanks,
    Last edited by BillPetro; 12/24/2004 at 10:50 AM. Reason: error in name
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    hey treoneo...

I bumped it because I had to go to page three in order to find the thread.

Duh,

this idgit (me) always wondered what the "bump" thing meant
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    sure you bump up a thread to the top of the heap so more people are likely to see it
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I would like to have a default network service selected during certain hours. Vision during the time I'm away from home, and bluetooth for when I'm at home. Any chance you can make your program look for my PC via bluetooth at a user defined interval. Switch the default network to bluetooth and connect if the PC is found. Then switch back to Vision if the connection is severed?

How about changing the default hotsync method in a similar way? Bluetooth if found, Vision network/internet if not, USB if neither are available?

I would also like it if the profiler could change the ringtone, alarm tone, and reminder tone based on time of day. Not just the volume. It would also be nice to have the reminder/alerts repeat settings change.

For example. I have some ringers that would not be appropriate for work so I only want them to be enabled after hours. Or if I have a very loud anoying calendar reminder tone selected to wake me up in the morning, why do I need that to be blaring out a work 5 minutes before a meeting? Or have it repeat 5 times.

I'd like to be able to have a loud annoying tone selected and configured to repeat for the times I would usually be asleep, or in a loud environment. And a more professional tone configured NOT to repeat during busieness hours.

Also, I know that all the forementioned functionality could lead to a very busy and complicated interface if not implimented properly. I haven't used any of your other apps so maybe this is not a problem for you. But I think it's important to have the interface drill down to the specifics of each area. Not have EVERY option on one page.

Similar to the interface the Brightcam had. You had a page for lights, and a page for sounds, etc. Maybe your interface should have an interface where things drill down as follows.

Top level selction visible at all times:
    --subitem: drop down list box -> during calendar event or default

Main tab: Lights
    --sub item: LED light status
    --sub item: screen brightness and duration before auto off
    --sub item: keyboard brightness

Main tab: Sounds & Alerts (Very similar to the default Sound & Alerts under prefs)
    --sub item: Sound on/off
    --sub item: System volume
    --sub item: Game volume
    --sub tab: Ringers
    ----sub item: ringer volume
    ----sub item: ringer tone
    --subtab: Alarms/Reminders
    ----sub item: Alarm tone
    ----sub item: Number of times to repeat alarm
    ---sub item: Time in between each occuranceof repeating alarms (Every 5 minutes?)
    ----sub item: Number of times to play initial alrarm tone
    ----sub item: reminder tone
    --sub tab: Messaging
    ----sub item: tone
    ----sub item: Show message alerts
    ----sub item: Show receipt alerts

Main tab: Communications
    --subtab: Bluetooth
    ----subitems for Bluetooth: on/off, discoverable, DUN, device name, allow wakeup
    --subtab: IR
    ----subitems for: Beam Receive on/off, Auto-off after how long
    --subtab: Network
    ----subitem: Default network (Vision, WIFI, bluetooth etc.)
    ----subitem: Disconnect after how long? (or never)
    ----subitem: search for bluetooth/WiFi network connection [on/off]
    ----subitem: search for bluetooth/WiFi at what interval?
    ----subitem: change default network to detected BT/WiFi network?
    ----subitem: Automatically connect to detected BT/WiFi network?
    --subtab: Hotsync
    ----subitem: Default connection type (USB, BT, network etc.)
    ----subitem: change to BT when available?
    ----subitem: change to internet when BT not available?

Hope all that isn't TOO overwhelming. I know it's a lot to take in. But I think it's what you're asking for right?

--TechDude
    Dude that sounds awesome... good job on the outline. Hopefully that can be a reality...SOON!!!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    I would like to have a default network service selected during certain hours. Vision during the time I'm away from home, and bluetooth for when I'm at home. Any chance you can make your program look for my PC via bluetooth at a user defined interval. Switch the default network to bluetooth and connect if the PC is found. Then switch back to Vision if the connection is severed?

How about changing the default hotsync method in a similar way? Bluetooth if found, Vision network/internet if not, USB if neither are available?

I would also like it if the profiler could change the ringtone, alarm tone, and reminder tone based on time of day. Not just the volume. It would also be nice to have the reminder/alerts repeat settings change.

For example. I have some ringers that would not be appropriate for work so I only want them to be enabled after hours. Or if I have a very loud anoying calendar reminder tone selected to wake me up in the morning, why do I need that to be blaring out a work 5 minutes before a meeting? Or have it repeat 5 times.

I'd like to be able to have a loud annoying tone selected and configured to repeat for the times I would usually be asleep, or in a loud environment. And a more professional tone configured NOT to repeat during busieness hours.

Also, I know that all the forementioned functionality could lead to a very busy and complicated interface if not implimented properly. I haven't used any of your other apps so maybe this is not a problem for you. But I think it's important to have the interface drill down to the specifics of each area. Not have EVERY option on one page.

Similar to the interface the Brightcam had. You had a page for lights, and a page for sounds, etc. Maybe your interface should have an interface where things drill down as follows.

Top level selction visible at all times:
    --subitem: drop down list box -> during calendar event or default

Main tab: Lights
    --sub item: LED light status
    --sub item: screen brightness and duration before auto off
    --sub item: keyboard brightness

Main tab: Sounds & Alerts (Very similar to the default Sound & Alerts under prefs)
    --sub item: Sound on/off
    --sub item: System volume
    --sub item: Game volume
    --sub tab: Ringers
    ----sub item: ringer volume
    ----sub item: ringer tone
    --subtab: Alarms/Reminders
    ----sub item: Alarm tone
    ----sub item: Number of times to repeat alarm
    ---sub item: Time in between each occuranceof repeating alarms (Every 5 minutes?)
    ----sub item: Number of times to play initial alrarm tone
    ----sub item: reminder tone
    --sub tab: Messaging
    ----sub item: tone
    ----sub item: Show message alerts
    ----sub item: Show receipt alerts

Main tab: Communications
    --subtab: Bluetooth
    ----subitems for Bluetooth: on/off, discoverable, DUN, device name, allow wakeup
    --subtab: IR
    ----subitems for: Beam Receive on/off, Auto-off after how long
    --subtab: Network
    ----subitem: Default network (Vision, WIFI, bluetooth etc.)
    ----subitem: Disconnect after how long? (or never)
    ----subitem: search for bluetooth/WiFi network connection [on/off]
    ----subitem: search for bluetooth/WiFi at what interval?
    ----subitem: change default network to detected BT/WiFi network?
    ----subitem: Automatically connect to detected BT/WiFi network?
    --subtab: Hotsync
    ----subitem: Default connection type (USB, BT, network etc.)
    ----subitem: change to BT when available?
    ----subitem: change to internet when BT not available?

Hope all that isn't TOO overwhelming. I know it's a lot to take in. But I think it's what you're asking for right?

--TechDude
    Nice ideas. I can also see you put some thought into this! Much appreciated. This will help me to start putting together a game plan.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by rengelman
    Integration with 2Day to view the current profile would be nice as well.
    Hey - I am here - no problem in doing this - via the plugin interface this sould be a no-brainer...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Along with TechDude's suggestions for Ringer and Messaging control. It would also be good to make sure that your app can control the sounds from email and IM apps like Snapper, ChatterIM, ChatterEmail, Verichat, Causeries, etc
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    would also like option tha would keep treo from sleeping... very useful if can get bt headset to dial with voice dialing & when using mmplayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhood
    Point conceded - You & Jeff both make good points. I'm cool with having activation method configurable - as long as I may configure it with side button to activate/confirm & volume buttons to select. The last pre-Treo phone I had was the Motorola V60 & it used this layout very effectively.

So, Jeff - have you determined a price range for this app yet? I'd gladly pay up to $25, but it'd need to be either a) uber-cool or b) the only game in town for me to go higher.

tdh
    Thanks for the thoughts. As for the price I think it is way too early for that! I also do not believe in charging a lot for my applications. I would rather under charge and over deliver with functionality. I also do not believe in charging for upgrades unless there is MAJOR functionality changes. I don't fault others for doing differently but I am running my business based purely on delivering value and unequaled customer focus. (wow how is that for a self appraisal??)
    All,

I have the first step towards this application almost ready for beta. I will probably be calling for beta testers as early as tomorrow.

This app is again the beginnings of the application everyone has been asking for. So it will act as the spring board for better things to come.

Keep your eyes open for a separate forum post from me calling for early beta participants in the coming days.

Jeff
    Jeff,

Can't wait. Count me in for beta testing

Phil

dutchtrumpet@yahoo.Com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast