Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have desperately been waiting for this update.. .ANy techie our "in the know" person have any updates for us as to the launch date????

Thanks!
    I have also been waiting for this with great anticipation ---- i live in a land of blackberry's and lotus notes and its driving me nuts --- don't really care for Bus Connect and can't use Good

Please if u know anything please share it - thanks
    I haven't heard anything. I heard some whispers that a beta was out, but they were just whispers.

(moved)
    Word over on Engadget is that Samsung is introducing a few phones with Blackberry functionality. These would be the first (to my knowledge) non Blackberry devices with BB ability. Maybe this means the whole software / hardware separation is moving along?
    Ah well, nevermind. Nokia has some phones that do this.
    KRam - can you hop over a URL perhaps for those Nokia phones? just wanna see for my own eyes that something is actually out there. Thanks.
    Perhaps they aren't releasing them yet, but here's a story: http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=508
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Is there a cost for this promised RIM blackberry client for the Treo 650? My co. uses blackberrys, but I turned my nose up to carrying one of them and got my Treo when I heard I could soon have the RIM client and all the other Palm capability. The server is ready and waiting...
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Kurt - that story on the Nokia phones, to me, is like all the others: Lots of announcements, no reality. No product. As many of us may know, RIM is heavy on pre-announcing things (BB Connect, BES 4.0, etc), and light on timely delivery.

I would bet it'll be late in 2005, if then, before anyone will be able to connect a palm device of any sort to a BES...
    I think Tmobile released a blackberry client for the PocketPC phones that it supports in Europe. I remember reading it on Howardforums that some users are indeed using it.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I was wondering the same thing so I e-mailed a Connect salesperson at RIM. Here was his response...basically a "wait, you'll see soon" answer.

Hi xxxxx,

Thank you for your inquiry. BlackBerry Connect for PalmOS development is ongoing, and you should be hearing some official announcements shortly regarding launch dates and platform features. I would also recommend that you check with your current wireless carriers in regards to local market availability dates. I will add you to the list of interested beta users, and we will contact you when the general beta starts.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers,
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Snyder

Can you private message me who you emailed so I can get in the Beta List as well

Thanks
    Again I'll say - that canned response from RIM is one I saw months ago - 'check with your carrier for dates', etc. They put it off on the wireless provider as if it's up to THOSE guys to deliver, and thus they get to sidestep the fact that RIM themselves are the ones who got everyone worked up in the first place. Very slick of them.

All I can ask is for a URL or specific place where I can order a phone with BB Connect, be it in Europe or wherever. Show me that and I'll go away.
    My bet: In the calendar year 2005 you won't be able to get a Palm OS device working in the US, on a BES, officially, in wide release (not beta). I hope I'm wrong, but that's my bet.
    I'm also very intersted in this since I'm having trouble getting my Exchange email on my 600. My company uses Blackberries. I have a laptop so I cannot use WirelessSync. Is this link just informational? The way it's written it seems like the product already exists?

http://www.blackberry.com/products/l...t/palmOS.shtml
    AdamF - you can use Wireless Sync, and still take your laptop with you if you can get some other PC in your organization to act as what they call the 'workgroup monitor'. In other words, that PC stays connected and acts as your proxy to Exchange. You still take yours with you, but some other PC - any PC, as long as it's persistently connected - acts to monitor your mailbox and do all your syncing wirelessly. Maybe an admin's PC, or just some random PC that no one is using - set it up, remove the monitor and keyboard, and you're off and running.
    Just a thought. I use Wireless Sync in this way and it's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    AdamF - you can use Wireless Sync, and still take your laptop with you if you can get some other PC in your organization to act as what they call the 'workgroup monitor'. In other words, that PC stays connected and acts as your proxy to Exchange. You still take yours with you, but some other PC - any PC, as long as it's persistently connected - acts to monitor your mailbox and do all your syncing wirelessly. Maybe an admin's PC, or just some random PC that no one is using - set it up, remove the monitor and keyboard, and you're off and running.
    Just a thought. I use Wireless Sync in this way and it's great.
    Thanks for the reply. I actually tried going down this route and the help desk wasn't very supportive. I just started here so I don't really have any old machines that I have access to right now and I guess help desk doesn't have any extra, which I find hard to believe. I'm still trying to find one and set it up just like you said.

So basically, once I find a machine that I can use, I just need to run Outlook, connected to my Exchange mailbox, and then install WirelessSync, right? Nothing else fancy, like I don't need HotSync on there or anything else. The only reason I ask is I tried playing around with WirelessSync on an old desktop that I was syncing to and it installed a HotSync conduit. I didn't like that so I uninstalled and after doing research on this forum found out the conduit wasn't really needed. Just making sure that is really true, I can't imagine why it would be. Thanks again.
    I don't think the host machine has to have any HS conduits on it. you might wanna check out the Exchange Quick Start PDF, along with the Treo QS PDF at:
    www.wirelesssync.vzw.com and see if that helps. I don't <think> that our host PC has anything on it other than Outlook and the WS software....
    Basically what I had to do was install the software ("Add PC Monitor") to the machine that is always connected. This installs the WirelessSync software. Then with my laptop that has HotSync on it, I chose ("Add a Device") and that installed all of the .prc amd .pdb files on the Treo. It also installs a HotSync conduit. I don't think I really like this. Now that I have the Mail program on the device, I may try and uninstall the conduit. It basically disables the traditional Calendar, Contacts, etc Palm conduits and syncs with the WirelessSync site instead. This really doesn't make much sense to me. I don't see why the Palm conduits can't just sync the PIM data. I tried setting the WS conduit to "Do Nothing" and turned the other ones back on, but it just hung the HS process. I kept getting the Windows "Switch To/Retry" message when trying to sync with Outlook.

I posted something awhile ago on here about WS and someone confirmed that the conduit was not neccessary and even said that they confirmed with VZW that they had taken it out of the next release.
    yep, I hear you on the issue with WS taking over the core PIM conduits. I think the reason that happens, if you think about it, is that the intent of WS is to do all syncing...well, wirelessly. I know that's kind of obvious, but - if you follow that logic, and do all syncing wirelessly, there's really no need (on the surface) for local PC conduits to sync, any more. Whether you agree with that approach is a completely different matter, of course.
    Well the problem for me is, I also sync this device to my home PC where I have Outlook running connecting to my personal POP3 mail. This has worked for me very well for a long time. I sync at home in the morning, sync at work in the evening and everything is all in sync (Outlook at work, Outlook at home, and the device). But now with WS in the mix, it's not working so well. It's duplicating lots of things. So, I basically uninstalled the WS conduit from my work machine. Now both machines still sync using the Palm conduits and I can sync the device (I chose just to do email) wirelessly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast